Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2D RPG Game Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 01:12
I am new to the DarkBASIC programming language. I use the DarkBASIC Professional language. I wanted to know if anyone could help me with a project that a few friends and I are working on. We are designing a 2D RPG. We are aiming to make it similar to FFIII. I have read the Beginner's Guide to DarkBASIC Game Programming, but it seems to leave out many concepts that are required to make a RPG. I do not understand how to code things like the overworld and battles. If anyone could provide any advaice or help, it would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 05:04 Edited at: 9th Feb 2005 05:04
Well i have an advice for you.
Before you start making a game like an RPG maybe it would be good to take it slow and learn some basic things about RPG`s first.

Then after that you can take what you have learned and use it to make an RPG

Just an advice.
I wish you good luck

Regards

The Nerd

looking for Royalty free 3D objects?
then Check PanzerGames at this link : http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
The Game Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 05:48
And also, as a fellow newb who's seen many a newbs burned to deaths by flaming, I suggest you start a lot smaller than a RPG, they're the kindof things that even advanced people can barely comprehend. Although there seem to be many DB gods on these forums.

Anyway, I suggest starting with a 2d pong or pacman, and as much as you don't want to. You'll learn the basics of programming and you'll be able to continue upwards getting more and more complicated. Eventually you'll be able to make a RPG. But don't start off hard cause you'll learn to hate the language, and then you'll go away from the language, and then all your wonderful dreams of programming a .... I could go on and on

By the way, in this language, 3d is a lot easier than 2d.

Well, I'm trying aren't I.....

When Life gives you lemons make orange juice. Then sit back and wonder how it was done.
Crystal Darkness
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2005 21:41
Thank you. I will attempt something smaller first, and work my way up. The Game Programmer, my biggest problem with 3D games is that I do not know how to create 3D models. If you could help me in this arena, also, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2005 19:52
Ah, you need to get a program like GameSpace Light or Milkshape 3d. Again this takes a lot of practice, start mucking around with some primitives and figure out what all the buttons do etc. Good Luck.

If I were you and you were me, then you'd be yourself 'cos you are me and I am you.
Crystal Darkness
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2005 22:38
Thanks Durdge39! I'll get on that now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 11:35:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 11:35:04