Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Trying not to fry subwoofer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2005 22:42
Yeah, I've got my electric guitar -> amp -> blue boardy cool mixing thingy -> computer -> 2.1 sound system (crappy speakers & alright subwoofer).

Because plugging stuff into my amp automatically mutes it, i've been using my sound system.

Unfortunately, my current 'perfect sound' set up on my amp involves a hell of a lot of bass. And volume. Crappy speakers coping fine, subwoofer is moving. I somehow get the feeling that I'm frying my subwoofy, can anyone verify this?

Well, until then I'm turning my subwoofer's volume down a bit.

(NOTE: QUALITY IS CRAP ON ALL OF THE FOLLOWING BECAUSE I ONLY HAD MY ANCIENT WEBCAM)

Pt-web.net killed all of their free accounts (they stopped offering new ones a few months ago), so I just found this ancient free account from some site or other.. if it doesn't work, don't blame me..

http://blan.000k.net/sound_power.wmv
(15 secs, ~ 370KB)

Thanx again, teh Blanky

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 19:15
You're not sending out a powered signal into that subwoofer, are ya? Because if you're using the standard speaker output from your amp and sending that into your woofer, that's bad. See if you got a "line out" plug on the amp and use that to send the signal out to a powered device.

Also, if you're not playing a bass guitar, the high notes might be too much for the woofer and could damage it.

"eureka" - Archimedes
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 19:39
I'm not sending the powered signal, but if I hit two strings and leave it to warble then my subwoofer moves >_<.

On a related note, it still works, but the little blue light on it doesn't. Really, really weird.

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 12:26:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 12:26:10