Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / My object looks strange from far!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 17:42
I have this object:
A building with an inside and outside wall. When I place the object far from the camera(or the camera is far from the object ) i see the inside wall trough the outside wall. Is this a dark basic problem or am I doing something wrong.
Current project: Earth Chaos, a FPRTS
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 19:26
this is due to DarkBasics Zbuffer not having a great deal of definition - setup a camera range is about all you can do about it for now

if the object is too far from the camera (say 5000 dbu) then it is an idea to make sure that it hidden...
usually i place fog at about 1,800 - 2,500 dbu in depth so it kinda hide problems with models buffering

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 19:47
Thank you very much. Now i understand, i will use the fog in my game.

Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 02:55
It would perhaps solve the problem to scale your entire world and everything in it down a bit. It's a fairly long road, I know, but it would get around your object being too far away and would also mean you don't have to use fog.

Personally, I don't like fog much. Not heavy fog, anyway.

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 19:05
scaling it down will make the problem worse... just as scaling it up - unless you know what the scale of the world is makes it hard to tell

if 1,000dbu = 1meter then that is the perfect size for the Zbuffer (and about as good as you'll get it)
adding fog and camera distancing unfortunatly is the only option available.

and the fog depend on what you want to achieve really - i mean if its to be an open game like say Quake3 where visual are essential to gameplay and fog is to really only be for like effects then i agree with doomer - but adding it for atomspherics deeply sometimes works well.

unfortunatly fog can't be specified yet - or made volumetric (which is the biggest shame)

i mean pro has volumetric, but its camera based not emitter based
you can hack this effect by making the fog closer and you get closer to emitters and such - even changing colours for depth. and using it for dark dungeons is a very good effect

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2003 20:14
Thank you both for your reply's. As you may know, i'm making a fprts. So all the levels will be outside(on grass, snow or something). So I can use fog easy, i tried and it didn't look strange.

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2003 05:32
what color of fog do you use for this vegita?
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2003 08:49
use:

SET CAMERA RANGE 14,10000

better results when increasing the first value

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2003 20:58
generally i use rgb(196,196,196) cause its standard light fog with the background the same colour...
but i change it to the moods - like in Zelda the fog in the forest has a green tint to it, and gets lighter and darker based on what time of day it is

might seem silly but is a very atmospheric effect

i'd be warey of the cam range commands first value within making FPS ... the distance sets the min and max values of the Zbuffer to calculate within

the closer they are the better the buffer (especially the last value to the camera ...
but this is also the draw distance, so anything closer than 14dbu on that isn't drawn - even if locked

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 21:40:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 21:40:45