Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Thinking about getting DBPro...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm thinking about getting DarkbasicPro. I've been using Basic in some
form or another (QBasic, VisualBasic, VB.net) for years to create little
utilities, so I have some experience with programming.

My questions are:

#1. How easy is it to develop games with DB? For instance, how easy is it
to develop a game like "Dig Dug"? How easy is it to create a game like
Mortal Kombat? How about Half-Life?

#2. What texture resolutions are supported? I'd love to be able to have
really high resolution textures in my games.

#3. Does DB have built-in physics? And if not, are external plugins (like
Newton) available for free?

#4. How often is DBPro updated? Is the community active?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance!
Mr Pointless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 03:47
What I can answer:

#1: It ain't too easy, but still, easier than C++, I bet. And don't expect to create the next Half-Life as soon as you pop the CD in your drive. As with all things, learning takes time.

#2: It depends on your graphics card, I think, but regardless, texture sizes to the power of 2 are supported (32 x 32, 64 x 64, that sort of thing), but you can use any size image for 2D work.

#3: Sorry, you'll have to code your own, and external plugins can either be Freeware or you'll have to fork out for them. Look on the DBPro homepage for DLLs

#4: It looks as if DBPro's updated when it can be, I don't think it's a regular thing. As for the community, just look around these forums.

(If I got anything wrong, please tell me.)

Iwata: "YOU'RE NOT HIM! YOU'RE NOT SUMIYOSHI! EEEEYAAAAAA!"
Sumiyoshi: "Who am I then?
Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 07:35
#1 depends how you use it and how quickly you catch on to things. past experience in basic programming is an advantage but it will still take time to learn the commands. as long as you start small and work your way up you should be fine but as mr pointless said dont expect to make halflife

#2 considering you will proberly be making games for friends and people on this forum you should keep them small as not many people have superb g-cards.

#3 Newton is free and vary powerfull, there is also one getting released by the game creators they say it is excelent but costs allot.

#4 they havent been able to update recently because of fps creator but they try to fix the bugs.

Any spelling mistakes are totally In tensional.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 10:40 Edited at: 19th Feb 2005 10:42
#1: DBP is probably the easiest language that at the same time doesnt have many limiting capablilites. You could make a dig-dug game, mortal combat, or half-life, it all depends on how hard you work at it.

#2:cant really answer that, from what ive found, its not the best, but its not bad either.

#3:external plugins are available(not sure about for free)

#4:There are patches, and the community is active on the forums, just ask questions, about 95% of the time ull get answers.

EDIT: one more thing: i dont regret getting DBP one bit, its a great program, especially for beginners(like me ), also try the demo if u want to find out what its like

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 10:42
Quote: "Newton is free"

wtf? it is?!?

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
Operation Pineapple - Multiplayer FPS WIP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 12:18:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 12:18:51