Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Script to display images on screen to help in story telling...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 00:52 Edited at: 20th Feb 2005 01:15
In the showcase section I've just posted a movie of the level I'm working on. Some people have mentioned about showing messages on screen. So here is how I achieved the one in the movie.

Firstly I added the terminald entity and made it dynamic by pressing the y button.

As this is a dynamic entity you must remember that if you have no or low ambient light, it will not look very good as it will be quite dark. So to get around this and give it a nice glow effect too, Add a blue dynamic light to the scene too, just infront of the screens in terminald.

Next I created the following image in Paint Shop Pro and saved it as a .tga file into a newly created FilesgamecoreTextUser directory as panel1.tga.

Next I created a script based on the door use script in the user directory shown below:

The first line of the code sets uo the image file, and change state to 10. (You see the imagefile that was created earlier in this line)

The second line will wait till the player is within 50 units of the entity and then show the image above on the hud. When the player moves out of range, the image will fade away.

{Edit forgot a bit..}

Then right click on the entity and put this script into the MAIN section put in the location of the above script:

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Hatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice little scipt.
Nosce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 03:24
I'm gonna love using this.

You could also tweak it to display the image when the entity is used.

temet nosce
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 03:59
That might be a better way of doing it actually, for small messages. Unless you want to make sure they see it. Would probably work well on desk monitors etc.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
I was already using this for a letter in a map i made.
Altouh thanks for sharing the great tutorial
with us.
famdylan
Years of Service
User Offline
would it be hard to make the image show only once? I was thinking if this could be chaned to a series of items then you could tell parts of a story. So as one is read the next in line becomes visible/available.???

will be an interesting experiment
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 06:34
You could modify the script like this:

And it will appear as you approach, then disapper permanently when you walk away.

But this will probably be the best way for doing something like that:

This script will display the "Press Enter to Use" prompt as you approach the item. Then when you press Enter it will display your message, when you walk away it won't prompt or display the message again.

The first way is prone to someone walking past and it flashing on the screen and then off again before they have chance to read it.

Jas

----
famdylan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 12:40 Edited at: 24th Feb 2005 12:40
okay - would there be a way of showing anykind of animated content like this ? I was thinking (if you are really ambitious) you could make a small movie and show it (like a video phone or news cast) when someone approched

This almost sounds like a cut scene huh?
00bk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 15:05
HOW do you edit the scripts? Do you need a special program or something like that?

the apocalypse is coming!
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 15:56
@double o benny, I use notepad, but there are some nice editors coming out too, look for any FPI Edtors you see. (Scripts end in .fpi) They live in the {install directory}\Files\scripbank. Before changing any of them copy them the the user subdirectory and modify the copy, incase anything goes wrong.

@famdylan, no movies or cut scenes at the moment.

Jas

----
famdylan
Years of Service
User Offline
jasuk: I know there are no cut scenes yet is what I was thinking is that you could have an item the character get to right before the end of the level. they pick that up and it triggers a graphic they can see and creates a new item that triggers a nother graphic - kind of storybook type of scenes - its a thought havent put it into practice since I am wrestling with my dbpro editor program
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually someone made a script to put an intro movie in for darkbasic people somewhere...

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 15:44
@famdylan, That type of thing is possible using the scripts to display images, but while they are being displayed the player will still be able to run around.

@eek, that was a darkbasic program that showed a movie then launched the FPSC built game. Not a script inside FPSC it's self.

Jas

----
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 10:35
how do save it as a script?

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 19:08
How do you save what as a script?

A script is a text file with .fpi at the end.

Jas

----
Mr Clark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 23:00
I want two characters to have messages, but everytime it is the same message. I changed the script too, but still the same message. Please help.
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 01:25
@Mr. Clark
ya same with me Mr Clark looks like where in the same boat

@Jasuk70
ok Jas I got it to work but Iv dont every thing change image names, change script , delete DDS file. Everything but its always the same

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 01:48
Could both of you please post the message and the scripts you are trying to use and give more detail about how you are trying to achieve it.

Thanks,

Jas

----
Mr Clark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 05:03
Well, I put in the Code snippet, and make two different codes. I apply two different codes, to two different characters, but the same message appears for both.

and this is the other

What do I do? I have the images and it only puts Story Tell and not Problem tell. Here is what they are, the images are attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 06:44
download the image:

here is the script:

Attachments

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 06:45 Edited at: 14th Mar 2005 06:59
and here is the second (download the image)

here is the script

Attachments

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 07:28
@Mr Clark
The path to the file is reletive to the Files directory (As in my example) So it should be
gamecore\Text\Welcome.TGA
gamecore\Text\Security.tga
Try that and see if it makes a difference.

@SGWSO,
Try re-naming the file so that it doesnt have a space in it:

gamecore\Text\user\book 1.tga

To

gamecore\Text\user\book_1.tga

Remember to rename the file and in the script.

Jas

----
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 08:01
ok ill try it...

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 08:25
nope it still ends up as the same image.

Mr Clark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 12:40
Yeah, It is still not working. Still doing the same thing.
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 04:19
This doesn't work for me, as soon a I walk up to the screen where my images should show, an error acures and fpsc closes down. The script is correct, it is a .tga and nothing is working out.

Help please?
Mr Clark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 06:07
I had that too, Make sure it is the right path. Do not put just text/yourthing.tga. Make sure it says, C:\Programfiles\thegamecrators\fpscreator\files\gamecore\text\yourthing.tga. That should work.

I am still having trouble displaying two messages in the same level though
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 08:04
Same, I even have already done what you said ages ago.
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 10:15
jasuk can you please help us

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 20:49
@Smart Guy, Mr Clark,
You've already used the "recepscreenmsg" as a hud name, try changing it to "recepscreenmsg2" for the second one.

----
Mr Clark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 09:12
I tried it, now it won't display anything.
BULLSHOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, what does the

Quote: "plrusingaction=1"

action do?

i looked in the manual but couldent find it...
please help!!

-I will beat anyone in HALO2!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 08:59:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 08:59:41