Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Where is C++?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 10:54
Hello i am planning on being a extremely good programmer and make the ultimate game. as you can see i have a lot of confidence. i started Darkbasic about 2 months ago and ever since i started ive been obsessed but i also know that even if i do learn darkbasic all the way through it wont really get me anywhere in the career life. i want to see what c++ and c# are like. is there any way i can download it or some kind of trial of it off the net?? can i get a link? i also heard c++ and c# are a lot more complicated than Darkbasic and i think i might need some help learning them i need somewhat of a mentor who already knows a lot about programming so if you got msn and you want to help me learn programming i would really appreciate it if you added me. email : michaelclift@sbcglobal.net
plz and thx
peace

David
Corkle
Years of Service
User Offline
the book that will give you the best help in your start on your C++ path would be this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592002056/qid=1108954677/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-1303354-9961508?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 it doesnt even get you into any advanced graphics, but it lays the very important ground work for your C++ education. it is a very thorough book, and will walk you through everything to help you learn the basics. i would be lost without this book

the program you will most benefit from is Dev C++. it's a free GUI, compiler, everything. very nice, well laid out, easy for a beginner and pro's alike. you can find it here: http://bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

using these two tools, you will be well on your way. have fun! oh, one more thing. a great forum for C++ stuff is at GameDev.net. http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/, go to the "For Beginners" section, and ask away! while they are happy to help you with any other languages, they are mostly centered around C++ and their combined knowledge will help you through any problem you might encounter!
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 11:09 Edited at: 21st Feb 2005 11:17
C++ is a language. you don't just download it. with C++ you write source code in .cpp format, and a program called a compiler makes it into an executable file (there's a little more to it, but that's all you need to know for now). it is more complicated than darnbasic, but if you can understand it, you will understand darkbasic more and be closer to a career in programming. after C++, you then need to learn about the different APIs (application programming interfaces), SDKs (software development kits), and libraries (such as Win32). so my advice is- go ahead. it's worth it. as for making the ultimate game, hold your horses for a second. if you practice you can make smaller to really decent games, better with more experience. get a job for a game development company, then you can go for the ultimate game, but keep your dreams and ideas in mind, just realistically. just read, read, read, find some tutorials, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, get some enthusiasm for it, practice, practice. and maybe practice some more.
good luck.

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
Operation Pineapple - Multiplayer FPS WIP
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 10:30
Here's another good book for learning C++

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672315165/002-5182515-2060852

it covers some basic things I think you will need to know before you begin dealing with 3D gaming and graphics, which are complicated subjects on their own.

If you have an old PC sitting around the house that "isn't powerful enough anymore" consider getting a copy of Red Hat Linux and loading it up on that PC. Many people find it easier to begin C++ on a 'nix based system, and the ability to program on more than one platform will make you even more valuable when you actually go out looking for work. I really like this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672316072/002-5182515-2060852 It has a lot of fun C++ projects on Linux that also teach you a lot about operating systems in general. The point is to expose yourself to as many things as possible while you're learning.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 11:03
Quote: "Hello i am planning on being a extremely good programmer and make the ultimate game."

Oh no, here we go again ........ . What makes you think you're so special? You should change it to:

Quote: "Hello i am planning on being a novice programmer and make pong."

And when/if you manage that, then set your sights a little higher.

vid1987
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 12:04
Quote: "
Oh no, here we go again ........ . What makes you think you're so special? You should change it to:
"

if you dont want to help me then why bother typing in a bunch of utter poppycock nonsense?... flaming on new people will get you nowhere... o well i need to stop being so freakin dependant anyways ill find my own crap... to all the people who tried to help me : thx peace

David
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 00:02
Quote: "why bother typing in a bunch of utter poppycock nonsense?"

Could have asked you the saaaame thing

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 00:36
Quote: "the book that will give you the best help in your start on your C++ path would be this one: "

LOL

i needed to think up of a christmas present i wanted from my siblings so i searched amazon for a C++ book that looked good and that's the one that i chose!!!

now i really can't wait for it to arive!

Quote: "if you dont want to help me then why bother typing in a bunch of utter poppycock nonsense?... flaming on new people will get you nowhere... "

he wasn't posting "utter poppycock" or flaming you...

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 06:43
Quote: "the program you will most benefit from is Dev C++. it's a free GUI, compiler, everything. very nice, well laid out, easy for a beginner and pro's alike. you can find it here: http://bloodshed.net/devcpp.html"

What is the difference between Dev C++, and other c++'es?
I heard it's the same compiler, so what makes Dev C++ free? I would like to learn C++ too, but if I learn it with Dev C++, will it be easy to learn for example Visual C++ 6.0 or somthing like that?

Check out PanzerGames at: http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
æ ø å
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 07:10
devc++ uses the gnu compiler which is free, devc++ is not just the compiler it is the package with the libraries, compiler(s) help files and ide which you write the code in with all the nice buttons.

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 512mb ddr400, abit kv8, 160gb hdd, gigabit lan, ati radeom 9800se 128mb.
Corkle
Years of Service
User Offline
if i'm not mistaken, VC++ and Dev C++ use the exact same language. it's not a different syntax like with DarkBASIC and Blitz Basic, where you're working with the same language, but each program uses different commands to achieve the same things. i have VC++.NET, and i can copy & paste my code directly from DevC++ into VC++.NET, and have no errors
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 10:15
Quote: "if you dont want to help me then why bother typing in a bunch of utter poppycock nonsense?... "

I'm helping you by telling you to keep your feet on the ground. It's not nonsense, it's advice. If you ever want to succeed as the 'ultimate programmer', you'll need to learn to handle advice and critisism without throwing a tantrum.

Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 11:21
and think realistically. you're not the ultimate programmer before you start. i am. (just joking )

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
Operation Pineapple - Multiplayer FPS WIP
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 11:43
Its the same syntax, except Visual C++ has more tools bundled into it.

Something to doing?
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 20:12
@David C: Ok so i read you thread... i like your ambition but to go and have a go at someone telling you to calm down and start with pong will not get you very far on these forums.
Most of us (Including Ric) are nice people who try to help but have had to see hundred apon hundreds of newbies arive claiming they want to be the next programming god...really dont we all, i seriously doubt somones going to come along and say.
Quote: "Im going to be the worst coder ever, and i need some help getting there."

see my point...we just have had alot of people just like you, so say your going to start small and ask for some help and youve got it !...we'll help as much as we can (as you can see already from the C++ info)

If you have any questions please just post or email me, if i cant help someone definately can,

Peace !
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 10:32
Quote: "What is the difference between Dev C++, and other c++'es?
(snip) if I learn it with Dev C++, will it be easy to learn for example Visual C++ 6.0 or somthing like that?"

With Visual C++ or the newer C# (C "sharp") you're going to be learning a lot of Windows-only concepts along with the language. For many, the syntax of C++ and the (over-ambitious) object oriented programming methods are quite enough to deal with on their own.

For others, learning in a Windows environment, with pretty visual GUI components like listboxes and Open File Dialogue boxes, lets you feel like you're making faster progress.

Everyone's experience will differ. Try taking a look at as many compilers as you can (without having to lay out any $$$ beforehand) and see what turns you on the most. Then go with that...
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 11:24
Quote: "see what turns you on the most. Then go with that..."

i don't think he's looking for that in programming.

Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 08:21
Quote: "i don't think he's looking for that in programming. "

LOL. I'm sure you're right. But you know, ever since people saw how much money Bill Gates has made in computers, being a good C++ programmer might be just the ticket to some young lady's heart...
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 08:32
No, it's the money.

Any-freaking-ways, i'm getting the asssumption that you think C++ is like DarkBasic, but harder. Well, it's not. It's not like DarkBasic and it's way, way, way harder. I'll be surprised if you could make a 3D Box appear on the screen with C++ within a year, because it's hard, hard stuff. The best way to do it is to learn from tutorials, and when you get good enough, you can learn from source code.

Well, I'm off to bed (it's 4:30 PM here).

Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 09:47
Quote: "being a good C++ programmer might be just the ticket to some young lady's heart..."

i sooooo wish. if it were, i'd have gotten laid long ago.

Quote: "I'll be surprised if you could make a 3D Box appear on the screen with C++ within a year, because it's hard, hard stuff."

he is very right. i've been practicing C++ for 4 years now. i can't even do that very well.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 10:11
Just my little bit to pitch in,

When I was first starting out I really liked using the Borland command line tools. It's not as easy as using an ide with a compile button, but v5.5 of the Borland compiler is very easy to use in terms of comparing the code you use in that to tutorials and such. You'll need to learn to compile from the comand line, but that's easy to get up and rolling on, and you'll learn more about how your computer works.

The parts of the books that will benefit you most will probably be the exercise problems. My high school C++ teacher assigned us a problem where we had to accept input for a word and then print it backwards using character arrays. I ran into some funky problems, and after spending an hour looking things up on the internet I produced a very clean-running program, and learned a ton about how character arrays handle different ascii values (not the typical text values).

Have fun.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
vid1987
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 09:24
LOL yea i'm in way over my head but i'm catching on pretty fast... sorry about accusing you of flaming Ric i know it wasnt a flame it was the truth.. but my interest in programming is so great i have such an imagination you wouldnt even believe it... there i go again LOL

David
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 10:11
the imagination is ok and encouraged, as it fuels your programs and games. just keep it real.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 07:15
If you want to become the "ultimate programmer", learn the name Carmack! And take a look at what you're up against! Good luck though, its good to see new people so passionate about programming.

"eureka" - Archimedes
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 15:43 Edited at: 28th Feb 2005 15:43
Don't know if it's been Suggested but a free version of VC++.NET / C# can be found using SharpDevelop.

btw nice name

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 06:05
yea, that's what i was about to say: a Davic C and a David T?!?!?

Confused DB Newb
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "Im going to be the worst coder ever, and i need some help getting there.""

I'll do it...

Im going to be the worst coder ever, and i need some help getting there.

There lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 13:26:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 13:26:07