Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Mini-Game Community Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 01:46 Edited at: 24th Feb 2005 02:03
Hi to everyone

Recently WarioWare Touched was been released for the Nintendo DS. I don’t own a copy, or a DS for that matter, but I was interested in the mini-game idea and when my friend bought a copy I was happy to say that it was extremely fun to play. This is when I decided it could be fun to create a collection of bizarre mini-games and put them into one game.

So last week while I was on holiday I started coming up with some ideas for mini-games ranging from running across the motorway (frogger style) to shooting eggs at passing people and creating firework displays by lighting different fireworks at the bottom of the screen. I then thought how much more interesting it would be if it became a DBpro community project where everybody posted their own mini-games and then they could be assembled into a showcase of the DB community. So this is what I’m planning to do (if anyone’s interested). Although most of you won’t know me as I don’t often post here, I can assure you that I regularly check these forums and love them dearly.

Here is how the game will work: The player starts with a set number of lives. The game then randomly selects a mini-game for the player. If the player succeeds then he moves onto the next mini-game if he fails he looses a life and moves on to the next mini-game. The game ends once all the mini-games have been completed or the player has lost all his lives.

Anyway here’s the rules you’re mini game must follow:
- They must all be exactly 15 sec long (The 5 sec in WarioWareis a bit short).
- They can be of any graphical style; 2D, 3D variety is what we need.
- Make them as bizarre as you can.
- There should be no point system in the mini-games either you succeed or you don’t.
- They can vary in difficulty but don’t make them to hard.
- All mini-games must be controlled exclusively by the mouse so that the player while changing games won’t have to worry about learning new controls or switching from the keyboard to the mouse.
- That’s all, let you’re mind run loose.

Before any mini-game a screen will be displayed with the author, name and objective of that mini-game.

Note that this project should be completely open source and that if you enter a mini-game you must agree to publish your code. This is so that beginners can benefit fully from the project. Also anybody is aloud to use the open code in their own projects as long as the project is not commercial.

As for any beginners out there, this is the perfect time to develop you’re skills. There are no specific skills required to participate in this project and no mini-games, no matter how primitive, will be turned down (unless they crash my computer!).

I truly hope you decide to participate as this could turn out to be something special.

Thanks for reading this surprisingly long post.
Julian

PS: @Hammish: I know you already started a DB community project, I just think it’s beyond a lot of people experience (certainly mine) and that something simpler should be started so that beginners could also benefit.

MGC - Mother Goose Creations
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 03:57 Edited at: 24th Feb 2005 04:05
1000+ views and no post!? Well I guess it's time I did something...

You have a very cool concept, and it could work. But--you're a little vauge on how you want us to approach coding this thing. I'm guessing you left that bit out since you weren't sure yourself, so I'm going to help out a little bit:

----------
Each minigame should be self-contained in a .dba file. Feel free to put
at the top, but don't change the display size. I'm *guessing* 1024*768 px, since pretty much everybody has a decent monitor nowadays (I used to have one that only displayed in 640*480 ) That will be set at the start of the main source file, so there's no need to repeat it in your mini-games.

Feel free to use ng's dll or walaber's newton physics wrapper, however make sure you have the latest dll for whatever you use.

Make sure to put a header at the top of your source file unique to your title, so say for a dodge-the-flaming-basketballs type thing you would put something like this:

Notice the hwk bit - that would signify that I made it, since my name is Hawkeye. This helps give people a visual aid to that you made it or something like that... Also notice the FLAME_BASKET_004 part - this is a unique header unique to your... uhm, mini-game. 004 means it was the 4th mini-game submitted or something.

After the header, put your loading sequence. MAKE SURE TO DISPLAY A LOADING SCREEN! This should give out controls, a little backstory, etc... Also make sure that after the loading sequence is finished, you don't jump stright into the action - give the player a chance to hit spacebar or lmb or something (this accomdates for the 1 sec loading games I'm sure we'll have)

So something like this:

Please note that this code probally won't compile, I'm pretty much just spitting it out at random here

Also note that I'm using FindOpenObject()/FindOpenImage()/whatever. This is to keep from having duplicate object/image numbers - remember this is a minigame and there are images loaded in the main part! So don't forget to use openobj() or whatever.

Some footer functions to put at the bottom of your code:

(uhm I'm going to post this now so I don't acidently lose it or something - this isn't the end of me! )

EDIT: Bah Static doesn't have msn... This could be tricky coordnating things

So... er that was just 15 minutes of madness there, people please feel free to add/change things, that was just there to try and provide some structure to things So erm what are you waiting for! Let's help make this a comunity project.

EDIT 2: Static, correct me if I'm wrong, but here's the picture I got from your post about the crazy factor (this was taken from the #darkbasic irc channel back when it was on the chattingway server) should give you people some ideas

Quote: "<Moggie100> it fits the post perfectly
<koshi> could add whatever we wanted not have to worry about media, we could add galith catipillars vs the tanks
<koshi> and big strawberrys
<koshi> taht speek in piglatin
<Hawkeye> flaming pineapples
<koshi> :o
* Kentaree is now known as Kentaree-brb
<Hawkeye> exploding hamsters, etc. etc.
* APEXnow is now known as APEXnow[afk]
<koshi> yeah flaming pineapples that roll around tryingto steal peoples souls
<koshi> when you lose your soul, you get +1 hp and then you lose
<Hawkeye> lol
<Oneka> wooh..
<koshi> and then a big band of pirate come along flyinga ship in teh air
<koshi> singing
<koshi> pirate songs
<Oneka> Hey CR
<koshi> and if you tell the pirate you have a beard he'll give you dabloons you can use to save the fairys
* ladyslipr has joined #darkbasic
<koshi> the you toss green jello till someone doesnt catch it
<Hawkeye> and then the vikings come in and fight the dinosaurs
<Moggie100> oh god, i'm soo adding this to the post
* ladyslipr sneaks in
<Moggie100> lo ladyslipr
<Hawkeye> hi ladyslipr
* Moggie100 waves
<ladyslipr> hello
<koshi> yeah dinosaurs !
<Hawkeye> where is this post anywhere?
<Hawkeye> *way?
<koshi> meh lady ..
* Hawkeye goes trolling the forums
<koshi> trolling?
<Moggie100> www.explosivegaming.net
<koshi> trolls with one eye
<Moggie100> "sign up today"
<koshi> o)
<Hawkeye> attacking the monkeys
<koshi> no dont do it you guys!
<Hawkeye> and the monkeys have lightsabers
<koshi> its a trap
<koshi> yeah yand if you know the secete code
<Hawkeye> and then there's this big fight with the bullet-time bears
<koshi> you can tur into darthvader
<Hawkeye> philip would love that
<koshi> and fight a preist
<koshi> lol bullet time bears ^_^
<Hawkeye> and the preist summons a cow with a chainsaw
<Hawkeye> cheers CR
<koshi> and the preists would gang up and hit you (darthvader) over the head with their staffs
<Hawkeye> and turn you back into a pirate
<koshi>
* koshi begins working on teh game
* koshi so far has .. sync on do sync : loop
<Hawkeye> and then there's a fight with trashcans who have grenade launchers
<Hawkeye> lol koshi
<Hawkeye> and then a GIANT foot comes down from the sky and stomps on you a few times
<koshi> yeah
<koshi> LARGE
<Hawkeye> and then you turn into Goku and have to fight off maurading aliens
<koshi> o_O
<koshi> mayeb you should be head designer for this game
* koshi reesigns
<Hawkeye> it would make a great game concept post
* Moggie100 winces
<koshi> moggie are you writing this down?
<Moggie100> no, lol
<Hawkeye> http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=45213&b=5
<koshi> dont skip anything
<Moggie100> i thought u were O_o
<koshi>
<Hawkeye> do the game like nobworld
<Moggie100> WWW.EXPLOSIVEGAMING.NET <-- sign up today! (please! - i lost 40-odd users to a database corruption!)
* Moggie100 whimpers
* TravisP-FlusteratedAgain kicks moggie in the side
<Hawkeye> OOO! then muntant calculators come in with bazookas!
* Kentaree-brb is now known as Kentaree
<Moggie100> man - i hope someone is logging this
<Hawkeye> and then muntant chocolate squares come in and you turn into a doggie with a chainsaw
* ladyslipr bonks kent on the head
* Hawkeye slaps ladyslipr around a bit with a large guppy
<Kentaree> hi ladyslipr
* ladyslipr doesn't know hawkeye
<ladyslipr> hows you kent
<Kentaree> not too bad, you?
* TravisP-FlusteratedAgain slaps Hawkeye around a bit with ladyslipr
<ZKAT8IT> hi ladyslipr
<ladyslipr> I am great
* APEXnow[afk] is now known as APEXnow
<ladyslipr> hi zkat
* Hawkeye slaps TravisP-FlusteratedAgain around abit with APEX
<Hawkeye> OOO! and then Raven comes in for a big boss battle
<Moggie100> LOL
<Hawkeye> with a flamethrower
* Moggie100 winces @ the joke
* ladyslipr looks at hawkeye suspicious
<Hawkeye> and then muntant pacmen come in and you have to frag them with proton grenades
<Zeroblitzt> I just finished The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
<Zeroblitzt> now I need the next book
* Moggie100 backs away from ladyslipr "your're scary when you do that y'know..."
<Hawkeye> why the wierd looks, ladyslipr?
<Zeroblitzt> Resteraunt at the End of the Universe
<Hawkeye> restrtaunt isn't as good as the others
<ladyslipr> lol I just realized how many people I don't know now
<Hawkeye> 1st, 3rd, and 5th are the best
<Zeroblitzt> Adams was writing a 6th
<ladyslipr> that is what I get for leaving for 2 months
<Zeroblitzt> but he died
<Moggie100> ladyslipr - yeah, i got that a while back when i started to 're-appear' here
<Kentaree> hehe
<Hawkeye> hmmm... how about exploding rats?
<Hawkeye> and alligator zombies?
<Moggie100> MINEWORMS! the inc along till u step on em and explode!
<Moggie100> inch*
<Hawkeye> and when you die, your head explodes
<ladyslipr> well I suppose hopefully be able to drop in again . . but I am done stealing someones internet for ahwil
<Moggie100> <<R A N D O M>>
<ladyslipr> bye bye
<ladyslipr> awhile*
<Hawkeye> cya
<Kentaree> cya
<Moggie100> bb
* ladyslipr has quit IRC (Quit It just so happens I'm free tonite, would you like to have dinner with me?)
<Moggie100> where were we
<Hawkeye> that's what she said yesterday
<Moggie100> oh yes - <<R A N D O M>>
<Hawkeye> what's << R A N D O M >>
<Moggie100> its random
<TheWendigo> who was ladyslipr?
<TravisP-FlusteratedAgain> Random is a myth
<TravisP-FlusteratedAgain> nothing is random
<TheWendigo> random person?
<TravisP-FlusteratedAgain> nope
<Kentaree> ladyslipr is an old regular
<TheWendigo> ok..... female?
<Hawkeye> it could be a shapeshifter, i.e. cyborg - zombie - hamster - ferret - back to cyborg etc
* RANDOM has joined #darkbasic
<Kentaree> yup
<RANDOM> i'm <<R A N D O M>>
* RANDOM has quit IRC (Quit BLAM!)
<TheWendigo> ???
<TravisP-FlusteratedAgain> that wasnt random
<Hawkeye> huh???
<TheWendigo> ok, this is wierd...
<TravisP-FlusteratedAgain> nothing is random you phools
<TheWendigo> ... maybe i should have caught in earlier
<Hawkeye> somebody's been messing around with vb and bots
<TheWendigo> ???
<TravisP-FlusteratedAgain> ????
<TheWendigo> other than me?!
<Hawkeye> lol
<Hawkeye> unless you made random
<TheWendigo>
<TheWendigo> nope
<TheWendigo> I'm helping TK with an IRC client but we aren't making a bot
<TravisP-FlusteratedAgain> Wendigo get a bot so i can abuse it
<TheWendigo> lol
<Moggie100> dear god - u guys overthink alot
<Moggie100> 3 words
<Moggie100> "second mIRC window"
<Moggie100> go fig
"

Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 05:26
Thanks for that Hawkeye. Hopefully whe should have some mini-games soon. As for msn, I do have it, I just forgot to add it to my profile. I'll do that now. I'll certainly start working on some stuff tomorrow evening. Anyway i'm glad somebody's intrested.

Quote: "1000+ views and no post!?"

my brother seems to like the refresh button

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 05:36 Edited at: 24th Feb 2005 05:37
This seems like great idea, but shouldnt there be a diffuclty setting? Like easy, normal, hard?
Also
Quote: "Also note that I'm using FindOpenObject()/FindOpenImage()/whatever. This is to keep from having duplicate object/image numbers - remember this is a minigame and there are images loaded in the main part! So don't forget to use openobj() or whatever."

Why not delete the objects/sprite/images etc at the end of main/mini game.

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.

Not a ripoff of The Twilight Zone
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 05:42 Edited at: 24th Feb 2005 05:43
Ah - when I say stuff in the main part I mean from main.dba. So you have the main loop back there and it determintes score, lives, etc. and calls something like 'goSub ZOMBIE_PIRATE_042' whenever it's time for a mini-game. Unless you're one of those dos junkies that pefers a graphical interface ('3 lives remaining. Next quest: orc vs neo Hit 1 for orc, 2 for neo')

But yeah thanks for pointing that out - delete your objects at the end of the minigame!

or something like that...

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 05:47
@Travis: Good point, but if someone forgets to clean up it'd be nice if the rest of the mini-games still worked..

P.S. Got inspiration from #darkbasic log - creating rolling pineapples that go around trying to steal people's souls minigame..

Mr Blanky - This Time, It's Personal
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 05:51 Edited at: 24th Feb 2005 05:52
Each game should just be a source file of functions and media. The source file should have 3 functions Start, Play and End (though other functions can be used). Start would allow the game to load any media it needs etc. Play would play the game from start to finish. End would erase all the media used. This would be effective as the main exe can start, play and end the games easily and parameters can be passed into the game, such as the speed at which the game is running (for difficulty purposes).

Simple... yet fun!
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 06:35
Quote: "od point, but if someone forgets to clean up it'd be nice if the rest of the mini-games still worked.."

Then I can delete all existing images at beginning of game.

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 06:59
This sound cool, but I think the games should be at least 30 seconds and at the most 1 minute.

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 08:02
No 15 second is fine.
*continues to work on Mod hunt 2D*

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 10:34 Edited at: 24th Feb 2005 23:39
Well, I made a little mini game for you guys, but its over 15 seconds, its more like 50 seconds. Anyways, I've got a download link for you guys so check it out.

The Source Files:
UnderworldGaming.HellMuthArts.com\UnderworldsMiniGameSources.zip

The .exe File:
UnderworldGaming.HellMuthArts.com\UnderworldsMiniGame.zip

The Source Code: (THIS WON'T WORK WITHOUT THE SOURCE FILES)

I still have to make it so you jump and make it so you can lose , and also just adjust some timing and stuff. Hope you guys like it because it just wasted 3hrs out of my busy life....just joking ...I don't have a life...

Another thing is I kinda borrowed (AKA stoled) all the graphics and the idea.

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 13:16 Edited at: 25th Feb 2005 01:44
My Mine game is done,Mod Hunt 2D. Look at this badley coded source it makes peoples brain hurt. well enjoy... http://www.travis.000k3.com/downloads/Modhunt.zip
[edit] fix link [/edit]

PS:I hidden a small easter egg see if you can find it.

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 13:29
travis
Quote: "This page does not exist. Maybe you have a typo, maybe your just an idiot, who knows. Just leave now and dont look back."

Something really catchy that makes people stop and think about the meaning of life and say to themselves "My but thats clever"
Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 15:12
Good work guys i'll make a mini-game tonight( have to go to school now ) and i'll check out all your games.

Oh and about the time. I choose 15sec because I want it to be as frantic as possible, constantly changing mini-game.

Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 19:20
@Underworld: I tried downloading the exe of your mini game but when i ran it i just go an error message after the splash screen. Error 10 i think

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2005 23:42 Edited at: 24th Feb 2005 23:54
You had to download the source files first and then put the .exe file in the same directory and run it, thats why it wasn't working. However, I just made it so you don't have to anything except download the .exe file and run. I also updated the links and changed some source code a little, but I still have to make it so you can jump. Also, somebodys has to change the graphics because they from another game .

So check out the link and let me know if its alright or not .

The Source Files:
UnderworldGaming.HellMuthArts.com\UnderworldsMiniGameSources.zip

The .exe File:
UnderworldGaming.HellMuthArts.com\UnderworldsMiniGame.zip

Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 00:32 Edited at: 25th Feb 2005 00:35
Ok after trying Underworld's mini game i've decided to lengthen the game time to 30 sec. Also a little suggestion to Underworld: After he drops the first item the eskimo waits a long time before dropping the next. Make it start faster so that it fits into the 30 sec time.

Oh and I'd love to try your mini game Travis exept your site doesn't seem to work properly.

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 01:23
Ok, I'll make it go a little faster at the beginning, and add the jumping and stuff too.

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 01:29
Sorry must have typed it wrong..
http://www.travis.000k3.com/downloads/Modhunt.zip

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 01:32
@Travis P - Nice mini game .

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 01:47
I'd like to add something if I get a chance, what's the deadline-doohick?

Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 02:00
@Travis - Excellent idea although it can end very fast. You should add a 30 sec timer then make them shoot 8 mods(or something like that) in the time and if they hit any users they fail

@Tifu - There is no real deadline so take your time. Once there's a decent amount of mini games (say 20) i'll start putting it all together.

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 04:13
update:
added 1 more user and fix collision with mods(they would not hit the sides right) attached new .dba file. I dont want to upload images again as it would take to long.
http://www.travis.000k3.com/downloads/Modhunt.zip(if you dont alrdy have images)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to play your game Travis but I got an error at line 11.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 10:43
Are you using DBPro?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 11:01
using ver 5.7?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, I am.

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 11:19
Well then to bad for you

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 11:22
I think I know the problem. make sure the resolution 1024x768

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
That is my resoloution.

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2005 11:37 Edited at: 25th Feb 2005 11:42
No, I mean in game.
put this at top
SET WINDOW SIZE 1024,768
[edit]
that does nothing.
Go to project settings and change res to 1024x768
I tested it. If its lower you get error at line 11.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh okay I'll try that.

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2005 09:35 Edited at: 4th Oct 2005 04:46
Ok,

I've added everything I wanted to my mini game, so I'm done with it now.

Here's The Source Code:

The Source Files:

[href]UnderworldGaming.HellMuthArts.com/UnderworldsMiniGameSources.zip[/href]

The Final .exe File: (If just want to play the game)

[href]UnderworldGaming.HellMuthArts.com/UnderworldsMiniGame.zip[/href]

The graphics have to be changed because they are from another game, so if anyone wants to go ahead, just download the source files. I would change the graphics myself, but I'm not that good at artwork .

Well I hope this what you guys were looking for and if you want I can make another little mini game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 04:24:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 04:24:09