Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making multiple windows

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 05:10
I was wondering how people get multiple windows on games?? like on mmorpgs where you have a lot of windows that dont really count as windows that you can move around at will while playing the game. I was also wondering if its possible to load an animated image and use it as a window where you can move it around on your desktop?? (kind of like that monkey desktop buddy) i always wondered how people managed to do that.

David
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 05:54 Edited at: 27th Feb 2005 05:55
Number one rule. DB doesn't do everything.
You can do multiple windows in DB, but's pretty complicated.
The general concept is that your "window" is either a 3D plain or a 2D sprite. Then you texture your window. That's the tricky part. Usually, a bitmap is used. You write or draw to the bitmap, Get Image from the bitmap, and then texture your plain or sprite with the new image.

As far as I know, there is no way to do a "desktop buddy" in DB, although DB is very flexible and certainly may have ways to work around this limitation.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo

REALITY II
vid1987
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 06:23
O i see what you mean... and its just as i thought.. those windows in mmorpgs arent really windows they're just images or sprites that look like windows and can be dragged and dropped and minimized like them too.. its like homemade windows thats pretty neat i'd like to make 1 some time... about the desktop buddies how would you program them i cant think of a programming lang that could possibly place an image without a window on the desktop and allow you to move them around like windows unless you could somehow change the shape of a window and built it around the shape of an image.. idk.. thx for posting..
peace

David
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2005 08:59 Edited at: 27th Feb 2005 09:00
as for the desktop buddy with the help of a plugin i found somewhere you can do it. it was a window plugin that allowed you to set a transparency colour then use aan image as a template and that bit of the window dissapeared and you could work through it. now i combined this with the get image and save image commands to create a 3d environment where the backdrop (and anything the same colour) wasn't there, it was just whatever window/desktop was underneath. unfortunately with the constant writing and reading to a file it is slow and processor/memory/hdd intensive. if i find the plugin i'll show you how though.

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 512mb ddr400, abit kv8, 160gb hdd, gigabit lan, ati radeom 9800se 128mb.
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Or, for the buddy, you make a window that uses a system command that gets the picture of your desktop (i found it in like desktop bumping in code snippets)

www.war3forums.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 13:27:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 13:27:17