Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / HELP needed with using 3DStudio max 6 & 7 with DB Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 03:31
Got a prob here. I designed some very nice level maps as well as characters with 3Ds max 7, but cant get em in with my game...any suggestions ???
Also, i have another prob. If anyone knows, please tell me how to use a modeled character as far as making obey controller commands. I don't really understand how to do that so if anyone knows anything please help.

Eternal thanxXx in advance.

P.S.
I don't have any code yet because i am not sure of how the structure is to appear yet.

~Bow down to no one...Bow down to none.~
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 08:34
To the map designed question:

Are you're maps in the .x format? You cant use .3DS with DB. If they arent in .x (directX) format they won't even load.
If you dont know how to get them into a .x format, here's what I recommend.

There's this great program called Deep Exploration that can open tonnes of 3D Files in tonnes of extensions, including .3DS and .X. Purchase Deep Exploration (not too much, I think its under 20 bucks but Im not sure) and then find your map file, then just convert it with DE to a .x format and it will work.

Thats not the end of it though, I recommend forgetting 3DS Max and learning about .BSP levels because in order to get a map you've made in 3DS Max it takes a hell of a lot of work. BSP's are a little confusing at first but in the end are much better looking, less laggier, and provide excellent sliding collision.
I recommend GtkRadiant as you're BSP creator/editor. It's free, just do a search for GtkRadiant Download on google and you should find it.

As for your character problem. I'd first experiment with using a simple box to move around with controls, there are loads of movement demos out there (including my ones in the code base, search "Box Movement"). Once you get an understanding for moving a box around the map you can then progress to an actual 3d model. You'll have to convert your model into a .x aswell, then use the load object function to get it into the game.

The load object code can be found in the help index, it's pretty self explanatory, you just type

load object "directory",object number

And you'll have it in your game.
I'll put together a little demo now and when I finish it it should be able to teach you how to learn the basic controling mechanism. Gimmi a few mins and I'll have it done.

Goodluck!

Causin' RUCCUS whereva' I go.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 09:17
Ok, I've put together a little tutorial for you and anyone else that needs this. It explains the basics of movement and creating objects in darkbasic. Hope it helps you!

Click the "View Source" button in the bottom right or just copy and paste the code below into a new DB Document.

RUCCUS

Slay The Wicked
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 16:54
EXTREMELY helpful RUCCUS. Big thanks. Just got one question concerning the controls. I looked in the help files of the DBpro interface and did not find the controls i would use to program a 10 button controller. Would you happen to know? I'm not really asking for another tutorial ( though the last one was excellent ), i am just wondering if you knew..or anyone else for that matter.. Well, thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who can lend some helpful keystrokes.

ThanxXx again

Slay The Wicked
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2005 17:01
BTW my specialty is 3D modeling and level designing..so programmin' is a new aspect of game developing to me. I only use 3D Studio Max because I have used it for about 3 years now and am proficient in using it. Changing over doesn't sound like something i would do but i will check out the progs you listed. Thanks again.

TO THE MAKERS OF DBPRO: PLEASE INCORPORATE 3D STUDIO MAX FILE EXTENSIONS INTO DBPRO SO I ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS CAN EXPORT OUR STUFF EASILY. THANK YOU.

Slay The Wicked
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 04:50
I went full throttle and purchased Deep exploration....it was 149 dollars US. but it is totally worth it. it roxXx man. thanks agai..and angain..and again and......AGAIN!!

Had a problem with the other program you suggested though. it says you need to own a copy of Quake 3...wierd..but o well

Everything else helped

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 07:16
Excellent! Glad to here the tut helped someone. And trust me DE is a great investment, it will help you a lot far down the road.

As far as joystick commands go, I've never attempted using them before but when I read over the Index I recall seeing some joystick info, for starting off I'd recommend sticking to the keyboard and mouse. Ill take a look into the joystick function tonight to see if I can come up with something.

Also...I know you and loads of other people would love .3DS files to be accepted but I highly doubt it'll happen. I dont even think it's possible, besides, it'd make your game really easy to mod

Oh and just on a side note, for key's other than the main ones (Space, Shift, Control, Alt, Enter, Arrow keys and some others) You need to use scancodes, like for the letters and numbers etc. Here's a list, I believe CattleRustler made a great pic' of a keyboard with all the scancodes on it but I forget the link.

For example: The scancode for "space" is 57, instead of using:

You could use:

Of course its pointless for the spacekey but for keys like for a, s, d, and w if you wanted to use those for your controls.

Here's the list, well, the main scancodes, it would take too long to type every single one so I'll just list the most commonly used ones:

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 07:18
Ack, I found the pick of the scancodes. I forget who made it but whoever did cudo's to you! It's in the attachment.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Slay The Wicked
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 10:57
another BiG FaT THANxXx from me. im designing online based game btw so if anyone mod'd it without my permission that means they would have to hack my website which = jailtime

So, im not worried about it,
but thank you VERY much anyhoo

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 11:00

Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2005 11:10 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2005 11:11
Quote: "You cant use .3DS with DB. If they arent in .x (directX) format they won't even load"

Not true. DarkBasic allows .3DS files to be loaded but you'll have far less trouble with .X. There's a format conversion that takes place anyway when you do the load. A good 3DS to X converter is the one used by DB Classic itself, if you happen to have it laying around. It's "3DS2X.EXE". I've had good luck with it in converting 3DS output from a lot of different modeling programs, including (according to the creators of the models) 3DS Max output.

Quote: "for key's other than the main ones (Space, Shift, Control, Alt, Enter, Arrow keys and some others) You need to use scancodes"

You don't have to use scancodes for keypresses, you can check for inkey()$ = "a" for example.

Quote: "I looked in the help files of the DBpro interface and did not find the controls i would use to program a 10 button controller"

I use an Axis gamepad that has about a dozen buttons and two joysticks (sort of a PS2 controller on steroids), and it works really well in DBPro. It was a lot easier to program than I thought -- I wrote quickie program which was a game loop that output to the screen the results of the various functions listed in the DB help files for game controllers (JOYSTICK LEFT(), various JOYSTICK FIRE(), etc.), then ran the program and punched buttons on the controller to see what happens.

I think you'll be happily surprised if you try such a sample program with your game controller -- you'll probably find you already have support for all 10 buttons just using the various joystick fire button stuff.

The only thing with my gamepad that actually caused a program crash was having the digital/analogue switch in the wrong position (don't ask me which) and trying a forced feedback call to make the controller vibrate -- DirectX couldn't see the controller at all and came back with some type of "device doesn't support this feature" error. I added a line of code to check the device capabilities and issue a warning if it wasn't plugged in or wasn't supported, and all was well.
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
You could load certain .3ds models into DB depending on how you texture the model. From my experience, if you only use 1 single source of texture on the model, then using .3ds format would work in DB. Now, if you try to use more than 1 texture on a model, then DB will not load it up. Just get a plugin named Panda X, which will allow you to export into .x format.

eatfishy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 13:20:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 13:20:34