Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / .X files and animation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2005 13:44 Edited at: 1st Mar 2005 16:18
I FIGURED THIS ONE OUT, JUST THOUGHT I'D LEAVE IT IN CASE SOMEONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE...

Well, I just finished rigging my character in 3ds Max and tried a little test animation. I exported it with Microsofts max x exporter and tried playing it with "if spacekey()= 1 then play object 500" to no avail. I then tried setting the start frame to 0 ( play object 500, 0 ) but still nothing. I went back and tried exporting with the pandasoft x exporter but still nothing.

It doesn't appear that any animation information from my max file is getting exported, though I've made sure with both exporting plug ins that I had selected to include animation data. What could the problem be?

I did a search on here and heard of a program called "Deep Exploration". I thought to buy it, but before I do I thought I'd ask some questions. If I was to save in 3DS max as a .3DS file and convert it to .X with Deep Exploration, would it keep the animation data? From the directions I've read it sounds like you import mesh data and then export to whatever, which makes it sound like there's no animation data to be had. The program would be completely useless to me if you couldn't keep the animation data from a .3DS file.

-EDIT- I went ahead and got the program and loaded up my .3ds file, but for some reason only the bones animate. The skin modifier doesn't seem to be in effect so the mesh doesn't get moved by the bones at all... whats causing this?
Thanks!

-EDIT #2- OK, I wondered if it might be the IK chains I was using, and after I removed them it worked, so long as I open the actual 3ds max file in Deep Exploration (awesome feature!!) and THEN export it as .X... the only problem now is that in DarkBASIC two vertices, the character knees, are now deformed and stretching down to his feet for some reason.... *scratches head* So, this is the only problem I need help with now... but its the most perplexing of all!

oi!

-FINAL EDIT- lol... I don't LIKE posting pointless threads, I just fiddle with problems for a long long time until I figure them out and sometimes it actually works... so yeah, I guess those two vertices didn't get skinned, and once I did all was well....

Sorry! I hope if anyone has this problem in the future they come to this and see how I fixed it!

Neeeeeeeewom!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 13:16:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 13:16:48