Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help with something simple...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2005 06:39 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2005 06:46
I'm lost again... My game is going fine and up until today I was having no problems, other than the few I posted about a couple days ago.

Anyways, here's the problem that's got me confused... again, I'm tired and this is annoying me...

I want to have the program paste the level and experience to next on the screen, in the top left hand corner. Now, I can do that using the print command but soon after doing this the first time I realized every time I had to use CLS (Text based game) it cleared the Level and Exptonextlevel, causing me to have to re-write the code for displaying that info on the screen. It's an annoyance and resulted in my code becoming very long...

So, somehow, someway I managed to get it to not do that... Until today of course. My brother, not paying attention went to save some images into the game folder this morning while I was working and accidently, somehow deleted the DBA files for the game...
I had backups so I opened them and pasted them all back into one file so the game has been restored...However, the commands which pasted the level and exptonextlevel on the screen have disappeared.. and I don't remember what they were...

Can anyone help me out with this???
A command or series of commands to paste:

onto the screen and have it stay there if, for example, the CLS command is used 800 lines later...(game isn't quite that big yet, but we can dream)

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: should probably add that I'm using DBC
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
you could try using the text command
syntax: text X,Y,STRING
the x and y are the coordinates of where to put the words and the STRING is the text that you want displayed.

note: i don't think that you can use a numerical variable with the text command. to get around this use this code:
Confused DB Newb
Years of Service
User Offline
I fixed my problem... thanks for trying though

Just took a bit of extra thinking...as always
Moruk
Years of Service
User Offline
Wouldn't just placing the command in a loop work? So, it would constantly be retrieving the values from the variable? I'm probably wrong, I've not much idea how to use this yet myself, but hey.

P4 3.4ghz, 512mb DDR2 533mhz RAM, GeForce 6800 GTO 256mb Graphics Card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2. Win.
Monsieur Mort
Years of Service
User Offline
The text command wouldn't help, that gets cleared too. Putting it in your loop is the way to go. Just make sure there's no CLS between your print command and the next SYNC

Why do you sink I ave zees outRAGEOUS accente?!
Moruk
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah! I was right about something, for once ^_^'

P4 3.4ghz, 512mb DDR2 533mhz RAM, GeForce 6800 GTO 256mb Graphics Card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2. Win.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 13:17:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 13:17:10