Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / General Shooting Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2005 11:40
Im adding in shooting to my game. I just have a few questions that I need to know the answers to so I can start off...
- My game is going to be in the 3rd person mode, and the reticle is on the screen (ofcourse) and is controlled by the mouse moving. I was just wondering, would I make it so the bullet comes from the reticle or the gun? I would think the reticle...right?
- Im planning on doing the usual click, show bullet, move bullet in user's direction, hide bullet, move bullet back to user. Is this way of shooting ok for a game that involves shooting rounds of 60 bullets per clip, at a fast rate? Or is there something else I should use?
- As an add on to the second uestion, Im putting this game online, and I was wondering would the game get really lagged up with 60 bullets per user being shot contstantly (well, almost constantly) with maybe 16 players in a game?

That's all I need to know, if someone could help me out or possibly point me to a good tutorial about fps and shooting I'd greatly appretiate it.

Causin' RUCCUS whereva' I go.
Zokomoko
Years of Service
User Offline
(1) make a limb for your character, that limb will be positioned at the hand (gun position). That will be the starting position of your firing, where bullets will start being fired.
Make a mouse object, a dummy object that follows the mouse around (there might be a code snippet somewhere).
When you fire, bullets will go from your character's limb, to that dummy object.
(2) If I undestand you correctly, you're talking about bullet recycling (reusing bullets). That's good, but there's going to be more then one bullet on screen.
(3) It all depends on the network code, if you do it efficiently, you won't have lag.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2005 20:42
Great, thanks a bunch.

Causin' RUCCUS whereva' I go.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 13:19:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 13:19:53