Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Football Management - CM Style....................

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2005 22:39
Hi all,

I already put a post in the main forum but dont think anyone noticed so heres my work in progress:

Here's the idea: I'm making the best footie management game ever! No, seriously! Well, ok, not quite but my aim is to make it highly addictive like the champ man series with some cool extras replacing the mass database. The database will still contain around 50000 players and 600 clubs so all your favourites will still be in there. There's also a stadium build option so you can turn your run down dump into that gorgeous 60,000 all-seater stadium.

My main problem the now is the matchday engine. In previous footy games I made (good old Amiga days) It ran on a sort of Premier Manager format where you just seen photo's of the ball hitting the net when you scored or a photo of the keeper catching it. I want this all to change. My idea is to have a top-down pitch like CM4 onwards that shows all the players running about etc. In addition, map this to an isometric view so that you actually get to see your star striker slam the ball in underside of the bar from 25 yards. Early testing has proved good and I have the ball bending in the top bag from 40 yards clipping the post as it goes and it looks class! But I'm starting to think about the controlling of the keeper such as making sure his hand tips the ball over the bar so it looks realistic. It will be difficult, not to mention the controlling of all the players. So my idea is to pre-program thousands of different goals, saves, misses etc, i.e write lots of wee scripts that controls all the players for that move and then run them accordingly depending on player stats etc. Say the match engine determines Henry scores a header from a deep cross - this will match up with the script then play the animation. Probably with this is that is limited - I wanted it all to be AI so that every single goal is different.

So, what ideas do you all have as I would love to here them! Not just about match engine but about anything else you would want in a footy management game!

Thanks all,

John

Here's some screenshots:

El Presidente
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2005 23:08
i did not read the post, it was too long ... but this looks amazing!

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 01:48
My friends brother wants a demo not me though i Dont like football games

:: AphoticVM oGL Plugin : 0.001% Complete (v0.0.0.1) ::
kozma_11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 02:49
No demo for now, just working on it a little bit here and there cos I'm doing my final year uni project the now. Aim is to finish it during the summer and have it all ready for season 05/06. I'm just concentrating on match day stuff the now but as soon as I've got it working then I'll post a demo - probably be April / May where u'll be able to play a full match!

Thanks for looking!

Any more comments on what else should be in the game would be appreciated!

Cheers

El Presidente
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 03:15
you could use a scripting engine for that

PowerScript: Currently Working on Expression Parsing, 80% complete
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 05:17
Wow, now theres ambition and sounds like youve got progress there too, unfortuantly i am not a footy fan so all i can give is a good luck and a bump !

@Powersoft: hehe look at you pedeling your wares !
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks nice, having been living in America I haven't got to play CM so I can't wait to play this and see what it's like.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
kozma_11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 22:31
POWERSOFT -

What do you mean by a scripting engine? Just that I've never heard that term before! Cheers!

John

El Presidente
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 22:44
He means an engine that slowly interprets code doing stuff that can be done better and faster in DBPro

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
kozma_11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 02:35
Cheers Benjamin!

Thats what I thought he was talking about!

John

El Presidente
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 06:16
Im not plugging mine necessarily, TK is a great programmer and his appears to be stable and fast. I am in fact interested in footy so i would be interested in the progress of this

Regards,
Rich

PowerScript: Currently Working on Expression Parsing, 80% complete
AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 08:03
As an Italian football maniac (AC Milan fan) I was obviously catched by this thread! The environment looks very professional and reminds me of FourFourTwo (did you play it?) and CM, of course.
In my opinion you could make fixed actions for the match (ie: Crossing from the wing, Heading, Shooting from distance, and so on), each one with animation of a single player, then you can paste the single animations to have a more complex action. And with different starting positions on the pitch you'll end up with different actions each time. Only an idea
kozma_11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2005 18:36
Thanks AlexRiva, I've now decided to go for something along those lines and just write some animation scripts. This way I can control all the movements of players, ball etc. And it will prevent anything dodgy like players running through goalposts etc. Although it will not have infinate possibilities, it will have potentially infinite possibilities but I would just need to keep writing different animations! I'll try and have a good few thousand for the original release and then just keep adding more and more!

Never played FourFourTwo but I'm a diehard CM fan! Progress is slow the now cos I'm final year at uni so working hard the now. Hope to have a match engine running in April / May. That should be the hardest bit finished and so hope to finish game for start of 2005/2006 season. I'll post match demo when it's ready to go!

Cheers,

John

El Presidente

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 04:33:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 04:33:34