Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Walker type entity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 10:33 Edited at: 5th Mar 2005 10:39
First off, sorry for the long load time on this thread...

Here is an experimental "character" I am working on that (if it works) hopefully somebody can find a spot for in their game. I say it is experimental because I have setup an insane skeletal rig for this guy and I'm not sure how FPSC is going to like having all these bones.

Here were my thoughts while coming up with the idea.
It would only be around 12 feet/3.5 meters tall.
Maybe futuristic for our time but old school in your typical sci-fi terms, he is bulky and slow, but tough.
It would be self guiding or remote operated, in other words, no pilot inside.
Think similar to E.D.209 from Robocop, just not quite as advanced.

These are of course just my thoughts, once I have a download available you can do what you want with it.

Anywho, I'm still working on the texture map but I'm nearing completion and wanted to get some thoughts from the community before I set anything in stone. I've already got my own plan to completion but what would you like to see it have/changed?

[edit] There is obviously only one side, that is just how I'm working on it right now, my poly count of ~1100 is when it has both sides.
DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 17:26
oo nice one PudBawl .

let he who is with out sin cast the first stone.
Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
PudBawl, your work is fantastic. I'm wondering, though, if you need to add something slightly more high-tech by way of a laser guidence light that would look like an eye searching for enemies, something to make you feel that this is a semi-intelligent thing out to get you? It's already wonderful the way that it is, though.

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
famdylan
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to agree with Opus - slightly more high tech - maybe a camo pattern - urban type of cammo ?

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I love the look actually. Maybe two skins if you get around to it because I like that one a lot.

PudBawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, keep it coming if you've got more ideas, though I'm moving onto animation so major changes will be difficult. Sounds like it is kind of split between liking it how it is and wanting it "more advanced". Since I was trying to make something that didn't look too high tech-ish I will go ahead and make the next one more advanced, a sort of upgraded model, but leave this one how it is.

Since I'm moving onto animation now I should have a download link soon, I am only going to do one or two anims on it before I provide the download so we can see if this thing will run (nicely) in FPSC, if nothing else it'll work in DBP for anybody who uses that as well. It has been slow moving ahead because I've been messing with the Hammer editor and finally got it to import with textures into a Half-Life 2 map. So hopefully I should also have it in that format for download as well.
longshot nl
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey this thing is great...!
Can i use it for my game?
Will the animations be in milkshape? I can use that in my game.
My game will be a massively multiplayer game, i will start programming the invasion gameplay but clans will be added later on.
People can shape their own world by adding and removing blocks and build their own base like this.

These are the latest screenshots:

PudBawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 23:29 Edited at: 10th Mar 2005 23:30
Here is the walk cycle. Again, this thing is just a test to see how the worlds craziest bone setup and rig works in FPSC.

@Whoever can test it: If you could test it in at least two different environments it would be much appriciated?
1- The most basic room, so something that is pretty much just a cube so we can see it run as nicely as it is going to.
2- Something more detailed, possibly a map you are working on to see how it'll run with other entities, windows perhaps.

@longshot nl: Absolutely you can use it, this download probably won't interest you much as it is just a walk cycle, but as always I have included an EXE made in DBP so anybody can preview it.

http://www.themillerhood.com/rtd/walkerDemo.zip
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 05:57
OMG! That's so awsome! You can't change much to the walk cycle in my opinion. Good job

Don't eat yellow snow!
PudBawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 10:42 Edited at: 12th Mar 2005 00:49
I have added "powering on" and "powering off" sequences. Here is some frame information for control of the animation in game.

1-80 = Walk Cycle
85-150 = Power On Sequence
150-220 = Power Off Sequence

Holding on frame 85 will give you the model in it's powered off pose.
Holding on Frame 150 will give you the model standing at the ready.

The new version is at the same link as before.
http://www.themillerhood.com/rtd/walkerDemo.zip
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
hi... looking good.........cant wait to see the finished article...

i was wondering, how do you reference the animation cycles in FPSC so the model and animations can be used, is there a script that needs to be modified?

ive seen the scripts for the characters, and the reference to the animation frames, would it be something similar.

thanks

maxd
PudBawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 02:45 Edited at: 12th Mar 2005 02:50
Quote: "ive seen the scripts for the characters, and the reference to the animation frames, would it be something similar."

If you are refering to the .FPE files in the entity bank I believe you are correct. However, I've been comparing the .FPE files with the animation files and I can't get them to match up.

For example, it says "anim1 = 31, 49". This looks to me like one of the animation sequences/cycles is between frames 31 to 49. When I watch the animation for that model it is obvious that frames 31 - 49 overlap two different animation sequences. So I must be having a problem when I convert to a format for my 3D software, thus I have not been able to figure out which "anim###" is the walk, run, etc.

[edit] Also, I've animated my models at 30 frames per second, TGC might use a different frame rate. <sigh> Not to mention FPSC uses the models local +Z axis as forward(or so it appears in my software), unless it can be rotated in the map editor my model will come in looking to the side rather than forward.
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
@pudbawl..

yup i did mean the fpe files.

i understand about the difference in rotation, everytime i get a model in, its lying on its back, or if i get it into milshape etc, its back to front.

your alien character appears on its back in FPSC, but upright when you test a level, and the animations play ok, ie it walks at me in the game, and attacks, so how come that works, but when i just used one of the FPSC models and changed the animation to something simple, ie just some hand gestures and head movements, i can only see the first few frames of the 96 in the animation.?

i cant figure out the animation cycles either.

TGC's, can you give some information so we can start to create some different animations please

ive tried 24 and 30 fps framrates, still cant see a difference.

happy creating..

maxd
Frontier Computing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 09:43 Edited at: 16th Jun 2005 11:43
PudBawl, this is NICE! If you dont mind, I'm going to download it and retexture it.
I'm sure the Borg could use such an entity in my game.
I'll edit this post with a screenshot when the retexture is done.
Hope you dont mind. KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK.

And I've posted the texture itself. You're all welcome to use it, but give texture credit to me, and model credit to PudBawl!

$$$$ HEY BIG SOFTWARE COMPANY, I'M READY TO SELL OUT $$$$

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dory The Cable Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
hey thats good stuff!!

Heven doesn't want me and Hell's afraid i'll take over!!!
Razorwind
Years of Service
User Offline
gah! evil robot locust on the attack! this is realy good, keep up the good work PudBawl

Reza Kaze

Razorwind

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:32:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:32:18