Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / GUI creator - initial planning

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 09:07 Edited at: 10th Mar 2005 09:12
I'm at the very initial planning stages of making a GUI creator. I'm making it out of necessity for my own projects, but will make it available to the DBP community if there is a need for this sort of thing. So, I would like to know if anyone has any general input which I can use in my planning. Specifically:

- Is there a general need for this kind of software? Is there anything similar I don't already know about?

- What features would you like to see incorporated? What would you use it for?

-The Idea-

My idea is to create a drag and drop editor that will make for the easy creation of things like menus, in-game HUDs, cockpits/dashboards, mediaplayer skins, etc. The user would be able to make buttons, dials, sliders, etc. within the GUI editor, and assign events to them which can be controlled from within their code with a small and simple command set.

For example;

If you wanted a menu button, you would create it, texture it and position it in the editor, assign a name to it, then in your code you would simply write:

if GUI_buttonclick("highscore")=1 then .......

If you wanted to have a score counter, then again you would create it in the editor, assign text style/colour etc., give it a name, and in code write something like:

GUI_display("playerscore")=str$(score)

I am planning to combine this functionality with a library of graphics for making and texturing buttons and other GUI components, some options for adjusting things like transparency of GUI components, snapping to grid, some basic paint fascilities like drawing lines/polygons/text etc.

Any feedback appreciated.

dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 09:49 Edited at: 11th Mar 2005 05:29
I think this sounds Great! It might take me a day or so to come up with some things to put in it. At least you know one person want's it.
So far I am pretty happy with what I hear right now, one thing is: I hope you are going to put tutorials in it.

It has been said that the body is a slave to the mind. Only the mind knows no freedom.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 03:11
OK - that's one person then! As for tutorials, that would be a good idea .... but that will definitely come last - still a whole app to write first!

Digital Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 05:14
lol, TWO ppl I would love one of these! Tutorials would b grate but no great rush.

Working for ELB software on Realms of Tutopia!
BF game programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 06:59
sweet

james bond rules
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 22:25
well good idea ric
i was going to make somethign somewhat like this but i have too much going already
so good luck with it

quit hiting the computer; computers can only do what they are told so we must be telling them to do wrong things
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Make it, I know I'd use it.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 22:49
Yes, it would be good. I am making a "kit" for myself too, if you want to discuss ideas, feel free to mail me. I have the basics so far, but then it's been at this stage since the end of the last compo. So far it builds menus from a text based script. It also does scores, rolling scores, intelligent on-screen positioning, fades and Fly-ins/outs.

Strangely enough, I could have written the same description, I have soooooo many ideas, but don't have the time.

One thing to bear in mind...TGC have made "Menu" a reserved word in U5.7(!)

BatVink
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 02:20
Thanks all for the initial feedback - useful to know that people would use this; it's given me the green light I needed to get going with it.

@Batvink: I'll be in touch.

AndLabs
Years of Service
User Offline
Got a screen? You know, we still need our GUI made, so if you just pop over to http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=50090&b=1 if you want to know more or help.

For the Software You Want, AMPERSAND LABORATORIES is the place!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 04:37:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 04:37:45