Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / AI Tank Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2005 09:02
This is my WIP on a no-media, almost-made-it-in-time entry for Ric's DBPro Coding Challenge (DBPro Discussion Forum). This is a sort of retro remake game (I forgot the original game name, but it was on the Commodore 64/128).

The concept is you Program your AI Tank using the program coding. Then test your code to see how it works. Finally, submit your code to challenge against other codes. Once the game is nearly complete, I plan on writing a few codes and posting them later, giving them challenge ratings.

So far the coding works and you can test your tank against another tank using the same code. The Play mode will allow you to load 2 or more codes (I'm thinking up to 10, but it will depend on what the system can reasonably handle).

I have included a pretty neat True 3D menu system for coding and system options. I've been told the menus can be difficult to read on some pc's.

The coding is still very rough around the edges. That is to say it works, but it's no problem to break it. For example, I have the If-Then/Endif loops worked out pretty good, but you can easily edit so an endif comes before an if then, which will cause the program to do who-knows-what.

Some basics:
Move the camera around the field using the arrow keys. Right Mouse Click and move the mouse up and down to Pitch the camera up and down. You will notice that the 3D menu will go right through the field, so you may want to back away from the field before getting into coding.

Left Click on The Menu Boxes to select them. All are fairly self explanitory (if not, feel free to ask). As you select Code from the menu, it will appear on the left in coding order (in the Code List).

Selecting a Menu Box from your Code List will move it forward slightly from the rest, indicating that you have selected that position in the code, otherwise, the default code position is a new line. If your code postion is in the code, it can be replaced with new code from the menu. This is useful for changing a Goto 20 to a Goto 25, for example. If you select the last code box in your code list, you can delete it by pressing the delete or backspace keys.

If-Then/Endif areas will be indented and can be nested. Howerver, the space between the 3D boxes in your code list is not unlimited, so you would eventully make it difficult to see the code because of overlap. Repeat/Loop ranges do not indent. Currently, nested Repeat/Loops do not function correctly.

In the System sub-menu, there is a Menu Box called Lock/Unlock Code Menu. This will either lock the Code List to your camera, or unlock it, which means it will stay put in 3D space regardless of where your camera moves. This is useful when you have a lot of code and want to move around, or even look at your code a little closer. The current limit is 111 lines of code, which will more than fill up the screen, so this feature is definately a must.

You can save and load your code by selecting the repsective buttons. Just enter a file name. There is no extension added by the program, so you should add your own. I use ".ait".

The end of your code does not need a Goto if you want to start over at line 1. However, if you want to start at another line besides line 1, you would need a Goto.

Tanks damage each other starting from the Armor and ending with Hull. Damage is usually reduced by the first intact system. Remaining damage is applied to the next system. If there is still more damage, the nest system takes it, and so on, until the hull is hit, which takes all remaning damage. If a system is destroyed, that system will not function until it is repaired. If the Hull is destroyed, the tank is destroyed - game over.

Shields make the tank invulnerable, but most systems will not operate while the shield is raised. Repair is available while shields are up (that's the intent). You can also perform calculations while shields are up. Shields use up shield energy (think of it as a battery). Once the Shield energy is gone, the shields go down and cannot be raised again. You can lower shields before the energy is gone, then raise them again later.

Each function takes some time. Functions like repairing, moving, firing, take quite a bit of time, while other functions, like most calculations, take only one pulse (basically instant). Functions are actually perfromed immediately, but there is delay afterwards.

Well ,that's I'll disclose for now. Have fun, and I would definately appreciate feedback.

Thanks, and enjoy.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo

REALITY II

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks pretty cool. I'll test it ouy later.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 00:43
looks awesome man!

ermes: "I'e no way to be understanded."

Me: No kidding.
BF game programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2005 03:09
nice i like the game looks awesome

james bond rules
AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2005 08:40 Edited at: 27th Mar 2005 09:17
I played that game on my uncle's C64 when I was a kid! That was a great game concept. Recently (2003) I've seen a version of the same concept made by an Italian coder (who-hoo ), named Gun-Tactyx, with robots instead of tanks.
Your version seems cool I'm Testing now
(EDIT)
Just tested: Great! Excellent coding!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 04:40:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 04:40:42