Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Online chat room

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 04:02 Edited at: 24th Mar 2005 05:00
Server: offline
IP:

I am experimenting with online commands, and I have created a very simple chat room. I tried it on two computers and it has worked fine, however, those two comps, are on a network, so I'm wondering if It'll be different over the internet. I wonder this because, I had this problem before, but back then the two comps were conected directly to each other, this time they are connected through a hub that takes them to internet, so I need some one else to help me test this program out. Here is my code:

because it may take a while before anyone sees this I will keep the status of my server at the top of this post, as well as my IP, which should already be in the code but I will keep it up there in case something happens and my ip changes.

so someone please help me test this as soon as possible.

*edit*
Make sure that if you're trying to connect to me that you pick the join option since I already have a server running
*edit*

DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, after it is confirmed that this code works, if anyone would like me to make it easier to read, and add some commentary, just ask.

DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 04:17 Edited at: 24th Mar 2005 04:46
Thank you mrnaughty. I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond in the chat room. This was because I had the server running so long I added a sleep line to my code, so I wasn't able to talk back.

and you're right, I do need a backspace, so now that I know the code works I can add one, and I'll get on commenting the code right now.

*EDIT*

OK I have made the code a little easier to read, and I have commented it, very heavily, so It should be pretty easy to understand now.

I still havent added a backspace feature but If I do, I'll be sure to post it here. If anyone else has a way to backspace using the entry buffer please let me know.

Digital Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 04:48 Edited at: 24th Mar 2005 04:50
np it was a kool chat room though, much better than i could do
But well done, and another thing when i typed a long line it then it looked weird when overwriting the users name. Btw I am trying to get another person on, i am starting one now. could you join ?
thx

DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
K. It's on. But there appears to be some error with the new code. So for now just use the origional one that I posted at the top.

Digital Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 04:57
yeh i tryed the last one and btw can you add others because jak386 wanna join but it dosen't seem to join us

DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 04:59 Edited at: 24th Mar 2005 05:24
... sorry, there appears to still be a few bugs.
Once I get them all sorted out I'll post here. For now mrnaughty, you don't need me to run a server. just replace ip address(1st line of code) with the host computers IP address. You can even run two coppies on the same comp.
To find out your IP address, click START then RUN type in "cmd" or "command" then in the command prompt type "ipconfig" and your IP address will be listed.

Digital Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 05:10 Edited at: 7th May 2005 20:09
mine is -------

Think Before You Post!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2005 23:00
Coolness

Login to post a reply