Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am considering buying the package containing DarkBASIC Professional, 3D Canvas Pro, Texture Maker and the world building packages Cartography Shop and Geoscape3D.

Is this everything that I need to:

1. Create code that (potentially) could create and run an active MMOG.
2. Create and edit 3D models.
3. Create and implement new textures.
4. Create and run levels, maps, dunegons, etc.
5. Create pretty and effective exterior terrain.
6. Create 2D Media, including Sprites.
7. Create audio files (Unless I'm very lucky, this ain't there ).

Basically, everything needed to create any sort of game. Also, does DARKBasic support multiplayer, and if so, are there any limits?

Thanks for the help in advance .

His Warrior,
Goel

A warrior, on assignment (and having fun ).
Psalm 20:7, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 11:16
1)Yes, with DBP
2)Yes, using CS4 and 3D canvas pro
3)Yes, using texture maker
4)Yes, using CS4
5)Yes, using geoscape 3D
6)I dont do 2D, so not sure, but DBP does some 2D
7)You arent lucky, hehe, DBP comes with a lot of sound files of all sorts though, but if you want to create your own sounds youll need a soundmaking program

Also if you wanted to create plants and trees, id recommend treemagic G2 and plant life.

DBP does have multiplayer commands and im not sure about the limits, ive never done multiplayer.

Hope that helps

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 11:28
6) yes, using Texture Maker and DBP
7) you will want to look into a sound editing program probably

That package will give you a great start though.

Goel
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet, thanks for the help.

One more question- what are the limits of TCP/IP, FTP and other ways to do multiplayer? Players, and any other pertinent info please. Also, same as Big Irv's question- are zone servers possible, similar to Everquest?

~His Warrior Goel

Psalm 20:7, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
WEll, I've heard that you can do ALOT of stuff concerning FTP, and also:

7) You are lucky. You can make your own sound files in DBPro. Just search the Code Snippets for something like that (no one spoil the surprise)

edit: whooops, "speak for yourself!"

www.war3forums.net

A.K.A Death Stalker
Soy Cocktail
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Most people would say that you can't make an mmorpg in Dark Basic Professional. You could probably make a small one, but the cost for servers is one of the mail limiting factors.

The limits for multiplayer tcp/ip is a maximum of 256 connections. You could create a server for each zone so that you could have more. and have another program that would gather information form the servers and put it all together so you can monitor stats of the servers.

When life hands you lemons go buy some oranges to make orange juice, and stop expecting everything to be given to you.
Goel
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You are lucky."

I like being lucky .

Quote: "(no one spoil the surprise)"

Uh, I (un)officially revoke that. Someone please reveal the "secret" .

Thanks for the help, Soy Cocktail...a follow-up question- when you say "server"...err, please define what you mean and what can be a server. I ask this because I heard that computers can be servers, and need clarification.

Also, what's the limit on FTP? And lag-wise, which is better?

~His Warrior Goel

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2005 21:58 Edited at: 25th Mar 2005 21:58
I think I remember reading that theres a limit of 256 people on one multiplayer game...Ill pull it up in a sec.

<EDIT> Yeah here it is:
CREATE NET GAME
This command will create a multiplayer net game. The Gamename describes the
name of the game and will be the name of the session when the game begins.
The Playername is the name you wish to give the initial host of the game. The
number of players can be between 2 and 256, and sets the maximum number of
players that can join the net game. You can optionally specify a flag which
controls the type of net game created. A value of 1 is the default and specifies a
Pier to Pier game, where a value of 2 specifies a Client/Server game. A Pier to
Pier game has every computer communicate with each other. A Client/Server
game has all player traffic routed through the host computer and then
broadcasted to the rest of the players. You will need to set a connection before
you can create a net game, however this command will automatically select the
first connection it finds if you have selected one.

SYNTAX
CREATE NET GAME Gamename, Playername, Number Of Players
CREATE NET GAME Gamename, Playername, Number Of Players, Flag

Goel
Years of Service
User Offline
But is that only for FTP or TCP/IP? From my scannings of the forums, I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is a way to have (potentially) unlimited players on a server. What I need to know are the specific ways to be able to do an Everquest-style server system with (potentially) thousands of players.

Soy Cocktail
Years of Service
User Offline
If you create an MMO it will require more than one program. In games like Everquest II there is a computer (called the server) that runs the server program. The server program is the host. The hose sends out the needed information to the clients (the clients are the players) To minimize strain on the server and help prevent some hacks only certain information is sent from the server to the client. What you can do is have a special client program that joins all the servers (servers can't join other servers, only clients can join) the servers then send information to the special client. This special client program will keep you informed about the status. This special client program should also be able to run commands on the server program. This special client has admin like privileges.

In World of Warcraft it seems like there is a server for chatting, and then one main server for sending information to players and receiving information form players. I would assume they have a similar setup with this special client system. This special client would probably run as a gui telling them the current connections for all their servers, and much more. They seem to have a global chat function that this special client preforms. It sends information to all the chat servers (server program) and tells them to send part of that information to all the connected normal clients (regular players). I don't work for Blizzard so I don't know exactly how they have their setup. This is just a general guess that i have as to how it works for them.

When life hands you lemons go buy some oranges to make orange juice, and stop expecting everything to be given to you.
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2005 13:58 Edited at: 26th Mar 2005 14:02
Ok, don't try to make games with ftp because you'd have to... well, a good game is pretty impossible with ftp, just use it for highscores or something. Anyways, DBPro multiplayer commands use directplay, which isn't good for a huge number of players (even cable internet wont really save you). I would recommend using a plugin, like the popular multisync that benjamin made. It uses host to client mode, which is the only possible way to make a MMOG without deadly lag for speeds of 0.3 fps. Make sure your host pc is a very powerful one,for example, a Pentium 4 or a Athlon 64, and has excellent connection speed. Download is the plugin. Hope this helps.

im not tall, youre just short

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Goel
Years of Service
User Offline
Much appreciated- that helps a TON!

~His Warrior, Goel

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 15:32:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 15:32:14