Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / BSP or Matrix for that one? And... what the hell is a .pk3?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hallo,

so now I am finally starting my first 3D-projekt.
After years of programming in 2D, I want to create my first 3D-game.
Since I am an absolute beginner with Dark Basic , I hope you can give me the help I need to get started.
(I am unable to idendify the verion number- help/about sais DB professional,copyright 2002)
My problem is CREATING THE WORLD.

REQUIREMENTS:
Since what I am going to do is something liek a racing-game, I need to create *HUGE* worlds with lot of 3d-details like bridges and traffic-lights. ALso, I need "trigger"-zones. In example, a traffic light switching to red when you are just in front of it.

SO MY QUESTION IS:
How can that be realised with Dark Basic?

1) WORLDCRAFT
Basicly I want to do it with Worldcraft (Valve Hammer Editor), but I don´t manage to load my .bsp in DB.
The "load bsp" - command requires a pk3 and a bsp file, doesn't it?
So what the heck is pk3 and how do I get my Worldcraft to create them?
And when I manage to load it (like with the example in dhe DB-Help), how do I get the coordinates to set a camera-position?

2) MATRICES
I know most of you guys are using those matrices. Now I wonder if Worlds like described can be created with this system.
Or are there any other ways? Can those .x-files be used to achive that aim? As far as I know now, they can't.

3) MY PREFERENCE:
What I would like to do is the following:
Creating the scene like a sattelite-photo (streets and so on in 2d) via photoshop as a 5000x5000 Jpg,
creating another grayscale-picture that represends the 3d-structure, like hills and valleys (no idea what that´s called) and put the 3d-stuff like traffic-lights in form of 3d-entities upon it.

HOW WOULD YOU SOLVE THAT PROBLEM?
What methods are suitible to solve *all* points in a reasonable amount of time?

(Oh, and just by the way: Do I have the full copyrighht on games created with DB? I mean are we allowed to sell our games commercially?)
Nameless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2005 06:57
Quote: "(Oh, and just by the way: Do I have the full copyrighht on games created with DB? I mean are we allowed to sell our games commercially?) "

I don't know the answers to your other questions but I do know that you can sell your DB creations commercially.
dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2005 08:22
In answer to your "What the hell is a .pk3" question, it is a zip file in diguise. You can rename it as a zip.

It has been said that the body is a slave to the mind. Only the mind knows no freedom.
skyd1v3r
Years of Service
User Offline
I still did not solve the problem with the pk3, but thanks for the other Info.
I hope someone can help me with the rest.
Ciao

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 15:27:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 15:27:48