Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I'm getting DBpro in a few days

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My older bro is getting me DBPro in a few days but just as much as I want to make games, I got no graphics,I have no clue what would I do on it. Then I just thought of something good to just to get me started, a text-based RPG and if I do it on my heritages it'll be more interesting and then I would get the language down in no time.

It sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not sure if its something possible in Darbasic since the site only talks about graphical games. So all you experts, is it or is it not possible?

If it is then is there any already created codes for it? I think it would be more easier for me if I just modify the codes instead of creating everysingle codes up my self.

And thanks for the help in advance.
Dark Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2005 20:32
Thats the way to start...then as you progress you'll behable to make graphical games..after the text based games the most popular first game is the pong tutorial at the top of this board!

timthepig
Years of Service
User Offline
I personally made a track and field type game.
Krad2004
Years of Service
User Offline
i started with a text based game (sort of!!!), then i moved on to 2d games, after making a couple of 2d demo games i started to experiment with 3d, im no programming genius but i think that the easist way to learn is to experiment with code and if u have tried everything u can think of, then ask, but instead of just copy and pasting the code that someone has helped you with, try to understand what each line of the code does before using it, thats what i do anyway
Chelu213
Years of Service
User Offline
Aight, but I also want it to be online with my own server, could I do that with DB?

With pvp, etc(Plus in the anceint world od Guahan, my home island). It'll be boreing if its just single player and a story to read/write.
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2005 12:42
Well, I wouldn't reccomend starting with an RPG. In my opinion, FPS games are the easiest to make. However, you can still do your RPG. I would suggest browsing around the site, collecting code snipplets that might be useful. Also, do not start off trying to make a multiplayer game. Multiplayer is an advanced coding concept, no matter the language. Single player would be the only way to go now. All in all, I don't think you can just buy DB and write an RPG right away. Try something else (except sports , maybe a FPS) to start with. Hope this helps.

im not tall, youre just short
Chelu213
Years of Service
User Offline
An FPS? Nah I've already got Ued for UT 2004(In my opinnion, UT04 has better graphics/gameplay then Halo.) And your right sports video games sucks, complete waste of anyone's time except if you are playing in real life.

Multiplayer an advance coding concept... Thats lame... Would it be easier if it was just 8 players like Diablo 2?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 17:21:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 17:21:49