Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Answer's to many questions needed :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello fellow game makers Im very new at this, and hame many questions. First of all,What other downloads are a must have to go along with darkbasic,andwhat are darkbasics limits as far as creating characters,landscapes etc... Ive seen the example chars on db and the look kinda rough
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 15:51
Well, you need modelers. Some free ones are: JTEdit, Truespace 3.2, DeleD, Blender (a very advanced and difficult modeler, wouldn't recommend as a learning tool). Also, check for updates in the support section, I think. The DB limits are your pc's limits , the better your pc, the better things DB will make.
Quote: "Ive seen the example chars on db and the look kinda rough "
Well, the texture is rough or blurry when you are either too close to the object or the texture image is a low resolution, 256x256 and 512x512 wont look so blurry.

im not tall, youre just short
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 16:13
Yup a 3D modeler is a must. I suggest Wings3D it's nice and easy to use for a begginer, but it doesn't do vertex manipulation so it's hard to model people.IMVUHO

As far as limits to what DB can display on screen at one time. The number is sooo big you won't ever need to worry about it.

Hope that helps.

Smile, it confuses people.
Krad2004
Years of Service
User Offline
i just used wings3D, how can something this great be free!!
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2005 01:14 Edited at: 1st Apr 2005 01:15
When I first started using DB I didn't have anything extra, I made a simple space shooter just using DB and Paint

If you don't want to make your own models for your game then you can buy DarkMATTER, which is a collection of models and textures that you might want to use in your games.

There are plenty of free 3d modellers out there, I use one called MilkShape, which costs about £20 and is used by a lot of other forums users. I don't use it that often though, and if you want to create good looking models you'll have to spend a lot of time practicing that instead of coding. Looking back on it I think my money may have been better spent on DarkMAtter but one day, when I get some free time, I'm going to try and improve my model making skills.

As for DB's limits, don't expect to make DOOM 4 but the more effort you put in, the more you can do with it.

Formely code2kill

Look, your never going to be a mod so don't get your hopes up.
Yodaonlsd
Years of Service
User Offline
Thx for the replies, I got darkMATTER with DB as a combo package,I'll try those programs you peeps recomended, I think they need to make a darkBASIC for dummies book for my mind though lol
Yodaonlsd
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea gonna have to grab that charshop for vert manipulation

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 17:24:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 17:24:23