Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Origami Program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to make a program that I can use to diagram origami books. I want the program to track in 3d space the positions of paper in a sheet of paper while it is being folded and manipulated. I want the program to then make 2d sprites from certain angles of the model and put them in a book format. The only prob;em is I have no idea where to even begin. Can anyone help?

jayson
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 08:56
Youch, thats some pretty heavy stuff right there, how much coding with dbpro have you done ?
Dsarchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 11:53
start with something more simple. When you have games like pong/snake worked out then go from there and get to grips with the code/math formula and then you will be able to work it out yourself.

From the sounds of it you want formatted vertex manipulation and then the ablity to render and export, as a "newcomer" (lol i say new i have been around for a while just havnt been learning db hehe so still a nOOb) its all above me and people dont tend to write these things for you, they help alot but you have to put the effort in first i guess, which is fair enough

soz i couldnt help, dan
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 16:34
Uhh.... What DBPvivi said.

Origami? Well I guess thats a rather original noob project. If you are just trying to make pictures for books it might be easier to just fold the stuff yourself and then use a digicam to take a picture of it. Good luck with it.

Smile, it confuses people.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 20:28
It would also be easier to use a modeling package than to try and program it..

However, depending on what this program did (for example, one feature could be if it made images with the lines on where to fold or something and you could print it) the program would be GOLD... but very very difficult to make..

Yarr join teh New and Improved LoGD!
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2005 23:41 Edited at: 31st Mar 2005 23:45
Its gonna be quite tricky getting it to work. Essentially, you would make it so you could insert fold lines which split each vertex into two. You would then be able to grab vertexes on one side of a fold line, and rotate their coordinates (using trig) about the fold line. You would then have to add some collision to this folding process. It wouldn't have to be sliding, it would just prevent moving the fold if it collides. To render it, I would just have a function to completely remake the model from scratch out of individual 3D triangles. To allow the user to create fold lines, you would let the user position a rectangular plane in 3D space and then press a key for it to create fold lines where it intersects each vertex. The main challenge is the maths - which isn't too complicated if you know what your doing. This would make quite an interesting challenge / competition, and I might give it a go if I ever have a spare hour or two.

EDIT: I've got a bit of free time, I might have a go at it (if you don't mind of course) and if I don't get much done I'll give you the functions I manage to make.

Simple... yet fun!
Arkine
Years of Service
User Offline
I have written an entire book already and I had to use coreldraw. The book called Advanced Origami Aircraft is in the process of being published. The problem is however, coreldraw takes too long to properly diagram the folds and there is no origami diagramming program in existance that is available to the public. So this could be an opprotunity. I have little knowledge of DBPro so I'm on a learning curve. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jayson
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2005 03:21
origami drawing program? beats me

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2005 18:48
I'm having a go at it, so far I've done the rendering of the folded paper.

Simple... yet fun!
Arkine
Years of Service
User Offline
Robo Cat you're the man. I'm assuming you have decided to give the paper it's properties outside DB and then manipulate the paper while in DB pro using the properties that you have given it.

jayson

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 17:29:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 17:29:55