Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Howdy. Just started with DarkBASIC, am most of the way through the tutorials.

One quick question: is there any way to change the base units that DarkBASIC uses to something meaningful, like meters or feet? I can do a conversion factor, but it would be much more convenient to simply use standard units, especially in physics equations.

Thanks in advance.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 00:24
????????...it's a programming language...you define everything!
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 00:52
you could program it yourself like meters = 1000 pixels and start from there i think.

--------
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROGRAM DARK BASIC!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 01:49
He means 3D units - and it's not such a silly question when you think about how the 3D environment is constructed. The answer though is really one of "what benefit do you get from a sphere being 50 ft. in width as opposed to 50 units?" (yes, I can have a question as an answer!). I say this because your two eyeballs can't quantify "feet" on the 2D display of your monitor anyway, you could never look at a 3D scene and say "oh yeah, that building must be at least 200 ft away".

So really - name the units whatever you like, call them parsecs or meters or whatever, it doesn't really matter and it won't effect your code

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
eGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Points well taken, and thanks for the replies.

The question arose because an object that I modeled with a width of three meters imported as being about equal to a 150 unit cube, so there didn't seem to be any correlation or way to adjust other than scaling my objects, which is fine if that's just how it's done. I didn't know if it was possible to work the other way round and make the units equal a meter rather than making a meter equal a unit.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 03:05:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 03:05:58