Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Small demo please?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, this is my first time posting on the forum so thought I should say "hello" to you all before going into the rest of my post below:

Being new to DB, I have only made the demo FPS and have no concept of DB other than that. I have vast experience of VB though so don’t be afraid to use programming language, etc in your replies

What I’m after is a simple program to help me understand 3D manipulation of objects, etc in DB.

If possible would someone that frequents this board please make a demo of the following and leave it as a code snippet here?

Spacecraft demo:
* "Player" is a camera position always at centre of "universe"
* "Player" camera angle adjustable on X, Y & Z axis via mouse
* Object X spinning randomly on all 3 axis
* Object X moves instead of camera when "Player" moves (as-if "player" had moved)
* Visibility fades from 100% @ 80 "foot" -to- 0% @ 100 "foot"

IE: If there where 20 craft around "player" then "player" would stay centre of universe and all objects would move around "player" when it moved/turned.

My first thought was to use a fixed camera and rotate all objects around it instead of ever moving... but that could create a lot of lag when there are a lot of objects to move. My next thought was to let the camera rotate and just move objects along a trajectory relative to what "player" would have moved.

Feedback on this thinking would also be appreciated if possible

I hope this is not asking too much of the forum... but feedback on any/all of the above in demo snippets would be good

Trammel is a member of DWC multi-game gaming alliance
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2005 02:40
or you could move the player and the camera, but leave the scenery where it is? Look at more tutorials and the different object and camera commands. If you've had programming experience before then you shouldn't find the concepts hard to understand

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 17:21:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 17:21:37