Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / American driving? I mean I know that we're not the best drivers....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2005 10:08
DB Pro sounds great. But I want to make sure that I can make a driving game that puts me on the American side of the car!!! Not to mention the correct side of the road! ??? They had to have included that kind of option... right???

I would be grateful for any replies.

thanks ... Greetings From Denver.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2005 10:18
Erm, is this post for real?

Two Worlds and in Between
Hot Metal and Methedrine
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2005 12:03
hehe, i agree, is this a serious question? If so, looks like u have a lot to learn about programming, no offense. Its not as simple as saying "seat on left side=1". I think that programming will be a lot more in depth than u think, the commands are very general, enabling you to do anything you want, but you have to combine commands. A lot of people dont realize what programming is really like, they think its as simple as "make road from point a to point b" when in reality first youd have to get the distance from point a to point be, figuring out how long the road needs to be, then making it the right size using a number of options to make the actual road, then youd have to texture the road, and then youd have to position the road, and all thats just for 1 straight road. DBP is good and easy, good luck.

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2005 13:30
Are you sure you haven't mistaken DBPro with the 3D Gamemaker?

im not tall, youre just short
supadrivr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2005 15:39
Hey thanks for the responses.
Yes, I am for real.
Yes, I have no idea what I'm doing.
But I am determined. A person has to start somewhere, right?

I just wanted to make sure that the program wasn't too limiting.
I saw a few demos where the driver is always on the right. Since on this web-site they are also selling the additional OBJECTS, I thought perhaps they only designed euro-cars, with euro-interiors.

I'm not sure that I didn't make a fool of myself again!
Please be gentle! thanks

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2005 17:10
That's because they were making a game about teaching you drive in the UK.

Your mind is what is limiting you at this point .

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2005 18:56
you can drive on the left, middle, right, top, from the back, underneath the car, any of those or any more you can think of, the players view can be from the camera view or you can program the game to watch the player from above, behind or wherever, you can even make a pacman game or a puzzle, cardgames, screensavers, text editors, anything you please.
programming languages just allow you to describe what you want to do to the PC and then the PC does EXACTLY as you ask, thats where the work comes in, exactly what you asked may not be anything like you intended, ever had someone play you up by doing exactly what you tell em and no more?, well thats a computer for you, they do nothing but what they are told, not even the most obvious thing like loading the only image in the program folder to display it, if you never told it how to add vat then it will give you the wrong price etc, everything has to be explained in the language to the last detail.
the upside is that once you work out how to get the machine to do what you want then you can get it to do ANYTHING that you want (assuming you are not trying to do something that is beyond the computer it`self), all you have to do to drive from wherever you want is to position the viewpoint where you want it, you can do anything you like.

Mentor.

PC1:XP, P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro, 6 way speakers.
PC2: Linux, AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
PC3: XP, laptop, intel 2.6ghz celeron, ATI mobility 9000, 256mb
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2005 02:07
@superdrver:its np, ur not the only one whos "misjudged" programming, a lot of people think its a lot simpler than it is. If you get DBP, people on the forums will help you learn it as you go along so dont worry. But like Mentor said, you can do almost anything you want.

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
supadrivr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2005 14:45
thanks again for the responses.
Gil, don't get me wrong, I certainly don't plan on this being easy.
I needed to know if this product was just a joke limited to using template backgrounds and canned scripts.
I know I have much to learn.
And it sounds like loads of fun!

Now....
Please allow me to appologize in advance to all the SUPER-COOL forum participants who will undoubtedly be scratching thier collective heads again once I begin asking more of my silly questions!
thankyouverymuch!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 17:27:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 17:27:47