Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tempest(Multiplayer plugin) BETA

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2005 07:24 Edited at: 5th Apr 2005 07:27
Hello, me again. Over the past few weeks I have been working on a new kind of multiplayer plugin, one for peer-to-peer games rather than client/server and also designed in the way of speed rather than reliability. One of the main reasons for this, is because I have been doing some tests and I have realised I can get data transfering between players considerably quicker between players using a different method to that of current plugins(with the cost of reliability).

I want this to be capable of use in FPS-type games where optimal data transfer speed is needed rather than total reliability. However, I realise that for some tasks in such games reliability is also needed, therefore I am making a reliable message transfering system. What I have done so far is the system to get all players connected with eachother, and a basic message system. The message system can store 60 messages at one time(I will change this, but for now it is enough) and it can use message IDs.

Because of how this plugin works, I will have to program a lot more than before(with my other project, Multisync) but because of that it means I have a lot more power over what happens, and therefore I can design the whole thing around multiplayer game data transfering. Systems such as the ping system, will be based around the fact that pinging will only have to be done when there is a lack of activity(due to players not transfering data between eachother). I have a feeling I can make this quite powerfull(yet easy to use) and fast, and so far its looking quite good.

What I need at this stage is people to test this for me, to see how well it works for them, and if it does work for them. I have attached the dll to this post and the code is below, so testing should be fairly easy. The code is a basic peer-to-peer chat program. You'll probably find that only 4 players can be connected at one time, and a 5th player will just crash it. I'm not sure exactly what this bug is, but I don't think its extrememly serious and I think I'll be able to fix it in a while. Also note that if you are behind a router, this may work a bit odd because of the way it retrieves your IP. If you are infact connected in some sort of LAN then to get other computers to connect then they just have to specify your LAN ip.

To use the chat program, first choose someone to host. This can be anyone, but theres a big possibility that they will have to temporarily turn off their firewall(unless they enable access through ports 3999 and 3998). When joining the chat, you enter the ip address of the person who is hosting and you should(hopefully) be able to connect. You may notice that for a while player names will be just ???? which is fine because it just means you haven't received the player name from that player yet. If the real username doesn't ever appear, it is either because they can't transfer data to you or because they have disconnected. Neither the chat program nor the DLL itself can yet detect when a player has disconnected, so remember that when you are yelling at someone waiting for them to respond.

Be sure to give your comments/questions/problems after trying it. Remember its important that I know any problems that arise so I know to fix them.

Thanks.

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2005 05:37 Edited at: 8th Apr 2005 06:22
I didn't try the dll yet. It sounds awesome! Really cool seeing someone being seriously bussy with multiplayer plugins for darkbasic, keep it up!

changed my old name "jopie dopie" to my real name
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2005 06:36
Thanks . I understand why everyone is so interested in making Multiplayer games and thats why I decided to make these plugins. This plugin is designed for speedy peer-to-peer games, whereas Multisync is for the games that need to be connected to some sort of server(A certain genre springs to mind here ).

Anyway, progress. Fixed major bug that was causing crash due to invalid memory access. Need to update how the playerlist is handled, which I'll do next. Need to implement a time-out system to detect when players have disconnected.

I've started work on a basic FPS example and have been using it to test when fixing bugs with Tempest. When I have updated the plugin to handle the playerlist properly, I'll add things such as shooting, dying, etc. I'll upload the source here so hopefully we can all test it and make sure its working as it should.

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2005 06:50
Yeah. *Hugs Benjamin*

You are not alone.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2005 11:46 Edited at: 9th Apr 2005 11:49
The FPS example is coming along pretty well, and I seem to have fixed a certain bug without knowing, because I can get a pretty good amount of people connected on it now(although those people have all been me, but I'm sure it'll work for outsiders). I have so far got heightmap loading, movement, and gravity working, as well as part of the multiplayer stuff. This will probably be done in a couple of days so I'll post here with the source.

Heres a screenshot:

The gun model is from DarkMATTER(as is the sky texture) and the snow texture is mine. What do you think?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2005 14:14
i love the sky texture? What steps in what progs did you use to make it?
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2005 21:49
A bit too foggy...but im really looking foreward to seeing what this dll can do!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2005 00:00
@Apolloed: I just said it was from DarkMATTER . Its not really that amazing a texture, because when you look directly up at it you can see where it looks sort of blotchy.

@Baggers: Yeah someone else told me I should probably expand the fog distance a bit. I thought perhaps it would be best however to keep the fog at its current range(or maybe expand a quarter of its current range), and have a HUD so that you have to properly search for your enemies.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 04:35:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 04:35:04