Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / £ symbol problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2005 07:19
hey all, im trying to make a basic strategy text game and need to print the money you have etc in pounds but for some reason when the £ symbol is in a string
ie "This costs £",cost
the pound symbol doesnt show and the variable doesnt show either. it only happens with that symbol, not with the dollar symbol or any of the others, anyone else had this problem? any one know how to fix it? cheers

Formely Blank as a plank
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2005 07:25
what does your code line look like at the moment we may be able to see what you are doing. might be the font you'er using hasn't got it

In Space No One can Hear You Scream! (When your comm Line is cut?)
blank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2005 07:30
an example line from my code is
'print "You have bought ",ttot," cups of tea costing £",tsubt'

i am using the standard dbpro font which can print '£' when you write it in the command
print "£"
thanks

Formely Blank as a plank
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2005 07:45
Works for me using 5.8 - maybe it was a bug that has been fixed. You could try writing out the ascii code instead:

Boo!
blank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2005 20:19
thanks for the code but it still doesnt work, must be a bug like you said. very annoying. I'll just have to use dollars or use a different symbol for my currency like & - that looks a bit like a pound. thanks for your help.

Formely Blank as a plank
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2005 21:58
Hmm, I know the pound symbol wasn't included in the original ascii code, but DBPro uses extended ascii I thought.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2005 04:49 Edited at: 10th Apr 2005 04:51

this works just fine, you must have either switched to a font that does not have the pound sign or your install is messed up.

Mentor.

PC1:XP, P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro, 6 way speakers.
PC2: Linux, AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
PC3: XP, laptop, intel 2.6ghz celeron, ATI mobility 9000, 256mb

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2005 07:12
That's a heck of a lot of tee, Mentor. Heh heh, just a question, how do you even type the "Pound" symbol? My keyboard doesn't even have one. it might be 'cause I'm a Yank, but I don't know.

Smile, it confuses people.
Cryptoman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2005 10:09
Maybe European's have a cool secret key combination. And we don't know it. That's why their money is worth twice of ours.

Mirthin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Our pound symbols are on the three, but that won't help you as the layout of the keyboards are different (for example, the " and @ symbols are switched).

You could always go into programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. This is a program that will show you all kinds of neat little symbols, just select the pound symbol once you've found it and copy it to whatever destination you see fit. Alternatively, you could temporarily switch your keyboard layout to British by using the keyboard setup program in the control panel, hold shift and press '3', and then switch it back. If you need to use symbols such as this many times, it might be a good idea to store a sample in a text file and leave it on your desktop.
blank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2005 22:53
thanks for your help everyone, i think there must be something wrong with my code, because testing out this:

it works fine, so i must have messed up some part of it of something perculiar like that. Thanks.

Formely Blank as a plank

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 17:33:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 17:33:54