Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Exchanging data back and forth between DBPro and VB

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2005 06:03
Greetings all...

Appologies if this has already been covered, but I struck out searching the forums and code base, so either I'm the first to ask about it or, more likely, I just did a crummy search

I'm a rusty old programmer with delusions of granduer (perhaps adequecy is more like it), and I'm just getting started with DBP. One of the things I'd like to do is be able to move data back and forth quickly from VB to DBP.

I recall that it was possible using DDE to pass data back and forth between enabled programs. My question (at last) is, is it possible to do this with DBP, and if not, is there something similar that can be done?

Thanks for any suggestion

"Do not worry too much about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure you that mine are still greater." Albert Einstein
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2005 11:17
Depends what kind of data, but you can use the notepad.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1 gig PC3200 DDR, GeForce 6600 GT OC
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2005 11:38
it can be done... if you make a plugin for it. Dunno if anybody has tried this successfully before.

AphoticVM status: 30% (Yes, that number just went down.) AphoticBasic status: 10%
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2005 04:44
Clipboard can do it too - if you don't plan on using it for anything else in the meantime.

Also, writing to a text file and then reading it works pretty fast - so it would works as a way to pass data. Of course, your best bet is some type of dll.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo
REALITY II
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2005 18:28
TwoSheds,

When you say "pass data back and forth quickly", do you mean you wish for the data to be transfered quickly, at specific moments(as to record a bit of information every so often), to not slow the program down too much. Or, do you mean to say that the two are needing to pass data back and forth quickly, many times per second, as to relay data for 'real-time' manipulations and use?

+NanoBrain+
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 04:00 Edited at: 18th Apr 2005 04:01
Pipes would be a good way of doing it, but there isn't currently a plugin for DBP that does them.

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 04:02
im doing this for a game im making. Some of the games files are made in db and some are made in vb. Any data i need to share i save in a dat file, and i made a nice algorithm to read the dat files.
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 04:07 Edited at: 18th Apr 2005 04:08
Example:

Some DB Server Code- used for the actual game.

Some VB Server Code- A room selection screen. It lists your ping, how many players are online and the rooms name.

The DB server saves the number of players online into a dat file, and then the VB server reads the number in the dat file. I have exchanged data between the two
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2005 00:07
ooh i got an idea
but the problem is it uses hardware ports which require admin privledges under nt4/2k/xp

do u know how to work call dll in dbp and how to call dlls in vb
if so then u could use my plugin i got

and i have to post this
The IN and OUT functions are potentially dangerous. Do not play with these functions! You may damage your hardware.

so i would use the port 65535 to try to be safe but
i have absoluetely no wisdom on this so to avoid damage i would reccommend u read up on it some

the functions are as follows

getport_byte(port as integer) returns integer
getport_word(port) returns integer
putport_byte(port,byte as integer)
putport_word(port,word as integer)

there u go
and yes i know my types arent right but i dont feel like eediting the code right now
(but i believe it should work because it converts it to a word/byte in the actual out or in function sooo who knows)

X-Patch x-patch.exe(gui):75% make.exe:5% x-patch.dll(runtime dll):0% developed on win xp home sp2

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 19:23:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 19:23:14