Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Poser 5 or (heaven forbid!) DAZ 3D. Does anyone know how I can convert to FPSC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have purchased Poser 5 and downloaded DAZ 3d as well.
I also have a copy of Deep Exploration. I have a couple of models for my Fallen Empires games. Can someone tell me how to convert my Poser 5 or .obj files to FPSC compatible? It would be a great help to me. Here is a photo example of one of my characters.

"Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people" -Dwight, Sin City

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2005 23:41
John Jack,

Greetings. Poser really is a great piece of software (I use it as well), but unfortunately the models are much too complex (too many polys) for use in a CG gaming environment. They certainly would cause the system to come crashing down if used within FPSC.

You could try exporting models as .3ds, and bringing them into a modeling program of your choice. Please realize that you will need to reduce the polys quite a bit, and the poser figures will need to be dramatically enlarged. You will need to rig and bone them for animation, etc. You could then export them as .x format files, which will load into FPSC.

Poser 1 models are the closest (though still too high) to a desired poly count for gameplay, that I seen native to Poser. Probably intentionally, for licensing reasons. Personally, I don't think Poser models hold up very well, as the geometries tend to "fall apart" and look quite crappy when exported to the .x format.

I hope this sheds a little light for you, and you might get some use out of this information. Please let me know if you find a "work-around" for this Poser-to-FPSC problem.

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
John Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I'll try exoprting to 3ds. Man, I wish I'd known that sooner. Oh well . Thank you again. I'll keep trying to see if I can find a way.

"Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people" -Dwight, Sin City
JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2005 00:53
John Jack, don't know if this will help your situation, but TGC sells a poly reduction tool.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?f=action3d

-JerBil

Ad Astra Per Asper
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2005 06:55 Edited at: 17th Apr 2005 06:56
I take my Poser 5 / Daz3D models using Deep Exploration and convert them straight to X files. Then I use Action3D and reduce the heck out of them. Then I take Max and apply bones animation and walla! Instant characters! Please note due to the number of "maps/texture" files, they won't look excatly like what you see in Poser.

-This...is my boomstick!
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
@Cellbloc Studios
it would be interesting to se a screenshot of one of those characters
"in game". plz post a screenshot for us to see how the result of that
looks.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 23:51
Ok, I will see if I can show you something next week.

-This...is my boomstick!
Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 07:08
How do you get .3ds models to work in FPSC?

Alien-ite is now swivel Games.
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 09:36
you cannot, they are .x and FPSC convert them in .dbo for a complete compatibility

PDAC 4 Ever! http://www.pdac-online.com
Current Projects: House Maker 1.0, The Killer 3D
[url=www.pdac-online.com][img]www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 04:58
I dont understand.

Alien-ite is now swivel Games.
D Ogre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 09:21 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 09:24
I use Poser 4 and 5 as well. I was working on doing the same thing a couple of years ago for use in DBPro. I decided that it was not worth the effort for obvious reasons.

If I remember correctly, the EULA for Poser states that the actual base 3D models (original or modified) are copyrighted. Although, you can export them for use in Bryce, 3D Studio Max, Lightwave, Maya, ect., you can not sell or use them commercially. The 2D renderings from the models can be used commercially by the the artist though.

If you are only using the models for non-comercial use, then by all means use them. I know a lot of people like to use Deep Exploration, but I have had good results with Polytrans too.

I usually export the models from Poser as a 3DS file. Then I load them into Polytrans and do polygon reduction. Once this is done, I convert them to a DirectX file as a unified mesh. You will still have to assign bones to the models and do some editing to the mesh. I've had good results with Polytrans when disabling exportation of the light normals.
Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 09:43 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 09:48
Quote: "PDAC 4 Ever! http://www.pdac-online.com
www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg"

@skalex:

You might want to try and put the "img" and "/img" . like this:
"img"www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg"/img" (note: the quotation marks stand for [ and ]). If you do it correctly it will turn out like this:

-swivel

Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 09:52
Hmmm, aviously you have to have " http:// " before your [href]www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg[/href] also PDAC%20Logo.jpg you must up load your image again but you must change the file name to PDACLogo.jpg insted of PDAC Logo.jpg (as in no spaces). then it will come out as:
www.pdac-online.com/PDACLogo.jpg and you'll be able to use it on TGC.com.

Swivel Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 09:53 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 09:53
Now it look like this:

[img]www.pdac-online.com/PDACLogo.jpg[/img]

Hmm Still not working.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 01:39
i know that i dont write ([img])...([/img])
because it does not work the first time

PDAC 4 Ever! http://www.pdac-online.com
[url=www.pdac-online.com][img]www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg[/img][/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:56:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:56:45