Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New Project Im working on, need some advice/help. Not with code.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2005 04:05 Edited at: 17th Apr 2005 04:07
Im making a game maker, it's fairly far already concidering I've only been working on it for a week but I just want to make sure what Im thinking of is possible. I know I know everything is possible in programming but is it possible for an amateur with some help from the forum gurus? Here's what Im after:
- Can I make an exe. from the .exe? So basically the user presses "RUN" and it creates an .exe with their game. I know a simpler way would be to simply edit the current .exe to be the same as the user's game they've made but I'd ratherbeing able to create a seperate .exe.
- Can I use import/export functions? Basically importing/exporting images and models.
- Can I have the program create shortcuts on the desktop of the player's program and folders in the players program files with their game in it?

Basically, you make your game, you save it and it saves it into your program files and if you wish creates a desktop shortcut. Then you can click the shortcut and the game loads up. Then if the players wish to put it on a site they zip it up and upload it to their site. In other words, a game maker from a game maker. I know it's been done before but I dont think it's as large and advanced as te one Im making will hopefully be.

Im not asking for code just yes/no/resons for yes/no or maybe's. Thanks in advance though Ill probably say thanks again,
- RUCCUS

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2005 04:16
hmmm... If you wanna make this in db/dbpro... You would need dll`s to make it possible.

*panzergames*
http://www.panzergames.tekhawk.com
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2005 04:33 Edited at: 17th Apr 2005 04:35
I guess that means that it's pretty much impossible to do what Im thinking of with DBP alone then? Imost likely am going to get BLUE Gui but that's mainly for the looks, do you know of any Dlls out there that help accomplish what im after? Ill have a look but if this is accomplishable with DBP alone then that would be better.

Oh I may not have been too clear with the idea, here's just some extra info:

It has nothing to do with programming, you wouldn't need to code anything. Just drag-and-drop the map objects, players, starting points, triggers, sounds, lighting etc. Incase you meant that I'd need a dll to create my own language.

Anybody else have any ideas on if this is possible with DBP alone/possible at all? My only major problem is the creation of the exe'sand the locating of the user's program files to save it there.

<Edit> Sry if Im putting words together my space bar sometimes doesn't detect when I hit it and I dont look to see if it does.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2005 22:15
I read over BlueGUI and it says it can handle saving/loading files to the computer, I think it should be exactly what I want, but I still don't know about getting an .exe from the .exe.

If it's impossible Im just going to make the program into a sort of "Dew Document" type of thing, for each game you want to make you just download a new program, when you finish and publish the game it deletes the game maker stuff.

Still open to suggestions for making the .exe from the .exe.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 06:02
nono it ain't impossible to make an exe in dbpro
all i say is that you would need a dll to do the job.

*panzergames*
http://www.panzergames.tekhawk.com
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 06:26
Quote: " nono it ain't impossible to make an exe in dbpro"

Theoretically, it would be possible...just not practical. DarkBasicPro as the full functionality of creating outside files. The problem would be it can only save files EXACTLY with the content you specify. So you would have to go about coding the entire executable in machine code before saving it which is near impossible, but not completely.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 17:31:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 17:31:21