Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Need help with... pretty much everything

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2005 23:47
Yo.

Me and a bunch of dudes are getting together and making a small game as a practice project. The only experience we have is with programming, so that ain't a problem. Problem is, we aren't sure on a few things.

First being, how you make character models and object models (like bins, houses, etc? Are they the same?

Second is about animation.

Third is about this character shop thing? Do you make a model using a model maker, save it as a particular format and then load it into character shop and build the 'bones' into/around it?

Another thing is textures. Do you make the textures in a texture maker, then load them into a model maker and apply them?

I've read a few articles and tutorials, but TBH, I haven't made a great effort to find anything. Not really got the time at the moment. Any chance anyone could help out here, or point to similar posts or related articles? Could also use some recommendations for programs for 3d modeling, textures, maps/terrain, etc. to be used in games? We'll be coding in DarkBASIC Pro. Cost isn't much of an object, but free would be nice if possible =P

I've checked around this site, but most of the stuff is quite confusing.

Many thanks in advance.

She said I am a user. She's wrong - I'm an admin..
BF game programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 07:38
hi to make character models you need a modeler like gamespace. i recomend game space because i have it . it does animation and uv mapping (which is texturing your object. for textures i use paint but thats because i dont have the money for texture maker or any thing yet but ive herd that photo shop is good. character shop is for animating nly like you said youmake a model then import it in there and animate it . it comes with i think about 80 animations already made. modelers like i mentioned above (gamespace) there are a lot of them like milkshape thats $20 i think theres a free modeler called wings3D (i think) i know there are tones out there. there are also things like truespace (same people created gamespace ) i think truspace was created first though. its like $150 dollars or something and gamespace is $300 . i think that truspace cant animate or something (its only what i herd i might be wrong) . i also think that theres a modeler called anim8tor or something close. and i think theres 3ds max . (i think annim8tor is free , but i dont know about 3dsmax. if you are wondering about level modeleres ( i dont know if you are ) but i think that all the modelers above can do it plus theres a program called cartography shop (its up on those little bars at the homw page at the top if you go down beside world creation or something. if you want to cheek out caligari go here: www.caligari.com . thats where you will find truspace and if you want gamespace then go here : www.caligari.com/gamespace . and if you want to cheek out truespace then gamespace go to www.caligari.com then look at truspace then go to the home page and go to where it has the games thing and click on that . but you can get some information on gamespace on this web site if you go to modelers or something like that then you can cheek out some detals. i surely do hope this helps cause it took me like 30 minutes to type all this. lol

james bond rules
stupid kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 07:49 Edited at: 19th Apr 2005 07:50
if u want to do it for free:

wings3d, gamespace light, maya personal learning edition and anim8or are free 3d modellers. All of them also does uvmapping. And all but one does animating, u cant animate models in wings 3d.

to make textures u can use paint.net or gimp(gnu image manipulation program). Gimp is similar to photoshop. Both of those programs are free. To just get textures u can use images.google.com and just search what u want< for exanple if u want a wood texture searc "wood texture", thats how i get my textures, ahhahahaha.

if u dont want to make your own models u can download free ones from 3dcafe.com and turbosquid.com.

All of the programs i listed are free. I use wings3d for my models and use google for my textures. Wings3d is the easiest to learn 3d program so i recommend using that.

edit: deled is good for making levels.
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 07:51
You need 2 more things: a modeler and a sound maker/remix ect. I don't know anything about sound so don't ask me, but I'll tell you about some 3d modelers. Actually, you'll find a list of them here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=25468&b=3 You would use the modeler the create characters guns, and well...models. The modeler can also be used to create buildings/rooms for your games. For outdoor levels, refer to terrain landscapes. There's a terrain maker somewhere either in codebase or downloads on db db classic site. When you have that, you're ready to go. Also, another thing you can do is search for royalty free models and include them in your games, and look for ones with animation already done. Well that's it, hope this helps.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+, 1 gig PC3200 Performance DDR, ATI Radeon X800 XL AGP, 80 gig 15000rpm HD
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 07:53
@ stupid kid:
Um...Maya learning edition is useless because all it can export to is its native format, unless you know someone with Maya, but that's highly unlikely.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+, 1 gig PC3200 Performance DDR, ATI Radeon X800 XL AGP, 80 gig 15000rpm HD
stupid kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 08:17
i never used maya, i just wrote it because i heard it was free.
You probally could find a free converter to make it into .x files somewhere.
Phox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 12:40
Yo all. Thanks for the help.

We'll be making all our own models and textures. Want to make it 210% _our_ work.

Just some info on the game. The game will be online playable and set in the old times. Am I correct in thinking for this I need:

- 3D modeller (will probably go with gamespace) to make character models, houses (when on the map), grass, trees and other 3d objects
- Map maker/terrain (geoscape) for the main map
- Thing for "bones" or whatever (character shop) for characters
- Texture maker (photoshop?) for 3d models
- Sound maker (will go with one on this site) for effects/music
- c0ding shizzle (DarkBASIC/Pro)

The coding seems fairly simple. But lemme go over this once more.. lmao.

Making maps:
- Use terrain editor like geoscape and save as a map file?

Making characters:
- Make textures
- Make model in modeler
- Apply textures to model
- Animate using character shop(?) or an animator

Sorry about all the questions.

Also wondering, does DarkBASIC/Pro support SQL commands? 'cos if possible, I want to use mySQL databases to store player info. If not, is it possible to make a DB DLL in C++ for SQL commands? (and if so, how?)

Sorry again for all questions =D
-

Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 13:31
Sorry but...
Quote: "The coding seems fairly simple"

Seems. It'll get confusing trust me.

Quote: "If not, is it possible to make a DB DLL in C++ for SQL commands? (and if so, how?)
"

A quicker way would be to have player info in a text file and perform actions based on what you get from the file.

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 14:06
You might want to look at Milkshape as you modeler/animator.
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 15:16 Edited at: 20th Apr 2005 15:17
Like Guyon said, try an inexpensive modeler like Milkshape unless you got some pros that only stick with gamespace. Also, when you choose a modeler, make sure that animation comes with it instead of wasting more $ buying a seperate one. By the way, almost every modeler comes with animation.

Phox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 23:05
haxorphreak: The team has years of experience with C/C++, Java, Assembly, BASIC and PHP. Only one of us (pr3d) has looked at the DarkBASIC syntax and he says it looks fairly nice. And compared to modelling, I do think programming will be simple

We did plan keeping player info in text files, but with experience I've had with flatfile-based systems, it's a good thing to avoid. And it would be generally easier for most of the coders if we used SQL (even if we did have to code our own DLL)

Guyon & dre: Thanks for the advice. I think we will look into buying Milkshape, as it seems to be quite popular with most people here.

Thanks all for the advice

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 17:21:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 17:21:34