Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 2D Tile Editor/Map Maker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 15:13 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2005 14:30
I'm working on a 2D Tile Editor/Map Maker. Now named TileTech
Details and updates below.

Latest Build: 0.6.0.16

Current Features:

*6/09/05* Save and Load Maps: You are now able to save and load your maps. Will save and load c2d files created by the editor.

*5/15/05* Layers: 3 layers are available. 2 background layers and a sprite layer. Now you can change things with one layer such as filling it in with a tile without changing what's on another layer. You can also choose to view All layers or just one.

*5/9/05* Grid On/Off - Change Grid Color: Can now turn grid on and off and change the grid color with preset colors or custom color with RGB sliders.

Custom Size Maps : Create maps of all sizes by specifying the number of Vertical and Horizontal tiles.

Tiles Currently supports loading 32x32 Tiles.

CheckerA and CheckerB: These will place the selected tile across your map in a checker board style.

Fill: Fill your entire map with the selected tile.

Fill Blank: Fill all empty tiles within the current layer with the selected tile.

Clear Layer: Clear the layer you are working on. All other layers remain unchanged.

Clear All: Clear the entire map and all layers.

Replace: Replace all tiles on all layers that contain a certain tile with another tile.

Export to DB: Export your map to a .dba file. Run the file in DBPro to see your map. Arrow Keys will scroll the map.

Save as BMP: Save your map as a BMP image file. This could easily be used to create a tileset image.

Most Recent Version can be downloaded here:
http://geocities.com/charlie2k4/C2D.zip

This editor is being made in VB6 and will export code for DarkBasic.

Known Issues:
- Fill Button doesn't work the very first click. Works everytime after. (Fixed)

Download is only 49kb

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 01:27 Edited at: 20th Apr 2005 01:37
Wow Third Tile Editor in like 2 weeks!

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=51923&b=8

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=52104&b=8

Anyhow, it looks good... keep it up.

Edit: Im on a school computer so Im not sure if thats causing my problem, but it keeps saying "file not found" when I try to load a image.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/db_games/
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 01:54 Edited at: 20th Apr 2005 07:27
If it says "File Not Found" then it could be an error, but if it's saying "File Doesn't Exist" then the directory isn't set correctly.

Directory is set by typing it in just like so:
Quote: "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures"

or whatever ... no slash at the end, and no quotations, then hit Set.

Next type in the image name above the load tile button such as :
Quote: "grass.bmp"

and then hit load tile.
pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 11:53
Wow another tile editor, lol. We three are all in a bit of a competition now.

Anyways looking good FakeBlood I'll be watching this closely. I was thinking of doing my editor in VB6, but decided against it.

Good Luck

FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 12:03
Thanks pizzaman. Still a lot of things I want to get put in to it.
So far it's come along much better than I thought it would.
Visual Basic makes me want to kill at times....but I think it works well for this sort of thing, once you finally figure out how to get whatever it is you're working on to work! lol
Competition is good too! Makes you not want to give up as fast.
I don't expect mine to be the best editor. As long as it can do what I need it to then that's good enough for me.
I Look forward to seeing the progress of yours and Skeletors editor!

My whole reason for starting mine was that I got fed up with 3d for now. Any models I made rarely worked right in DB. Especially animations...

So back to old-school for now
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2005 14:32
Think I created some small bugs with yesterday's edit. Tile placement is a bit whacked, I believe with Fill and Fill Blank. Not sure if its in the current download or not. Guess I gotta fix that before starting the optional map size options. Can't win for losing lol
Ahh well it'll get fixed. And after all, this isnt really even a beta version yet since I'm letting it be downloaded as it's developed.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 09:14
Got that problem fixed I believe. Hoping I can make more progress tonight on the editor. Need people to try it out and give me their thoughts on what it needs and what needs to be fixed.

Some things I already plan on are

-Zooming
-Place tiles by dragging over them rather than only by clicking on them
-Custom size maps as I have said before (Hopefully will be tonight)
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2005 10:34 Edited at: 24th Apr 2005 16:49
Went ahead and uploaded a new version. Some things may not function correctly after I've added the ability to choose your map size. Will get to that soon.

[Edit] Think I've got most bugs out, although probably not all.

Some folks need to try it out for me and let me know how it is so far!
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 07:38
Making maps fairly big may give you a memory error. This error is based more on the amount of memory the program is allowed to have by windows rather than the amount of actual memory you have. When I go over 150 or so horizontal and vertical tiles I get the error. It may be less or more for others. I will later have to rework the grid map to get rid of this problem. For now I'm working on bug fixes.
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Or you could use "free memory" (I think) Anyways, looks good! I'll download it as soon as I get back to my computer.

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 09:34 Edited at: 25th Apr 2005 09:42
Thanks. Glad to hear a reply. I'll have to look into the free memory thing sometime.
Another note....Use File - Quit to exit the program, or sometimes it will continue running in the background.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 09:44
Just added in the ability to save your map as a bmp.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 14:42
Can now drag your cursor across tiles to place them instead of having to click on each square of the grid that you want them on. Right now this is slow with larger maps. Soon I need to start tackling more speed issues. Tomorrow I'll probably add in the option to have 16x16 tiles instead of only 32x32. I believe those two are the most used.

Still having overflow error problems with larger maps. Will probably have to rewrite parts of my code later once I come up with a solution.

Lots of viewers of this post but little comments. If anything I'd like to hear what you would like to see in a tile editor.
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe add an "export -> DBPro" command? becase otherwise, it's kinda hard to detect collision.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2005 03:43
That is a very neat tool Keep it up .

Thanks
Eddie

FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2005 11:33 Edited at: 3rd May 2005 04:41
Quote: "Maybe add an "export -> DBPro" command? becase otherwise, it's kinda hard to detect collision.
"

Save Map saves your map to a dba file, which can be loaded right up in DBP. This keeps your tile images and doesn't save it all as one big picture, although you can do that with Save As BMP. So collision shouldn't be too hard to put in.

Quote: "That is a very neat tool Keep it up ."

Thanks! I will

Dragging your mouse across tiles to place them is now very fast regardless of map size! That was one of my two main issues for now. The only major problem for now is creating large maps without error.
The fixes I just finished may have created more bugs but I haven't seen any yet if so.

[EDIT] OK....not as fast as I thought >_<
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 14:25
Been doing some more re-coding. What I've done so far is incomplete and has not been uploaded for download yet. I've completely changed up the code for placing tiles on the grid. This is working fast and quite nicely, much better and faster than before. Also, I've completely eliminated errors with maps over 100x100 or so. Now the only limit is your pc, although I would highly suggest not using maps in the thousands x thousands....

With this new code I removed the scroll bars and added in arrow buttons to scroll with. I may bring back the scroll bars later, but for now the arrows stay.

I'm trying to get everything as fast and error free as I can before moving on to more features. Should have a new download up in a day or so.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 12:51
Build 0.5.0.9 uploaded

Speed issues are fixed with tile scrolling. Large maps work no problem, just as well as small ones.

Minimum map size added for now of 20x15 Tiles.

Can now turn the grid off and on and change the color with RGB sliders or preset colors.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 11:55
Found and fixed a bug. Scrolling the map past the original position and using CheckerA, CheckerB, Fill, or FillBlank would cause an error.
Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 12:49 Edited at: 11th May 2005 12:56
Nice, I especially like the how you can save the map as a .bmp file, its seems good for previewing a map before you code it into your game. Its nice to see you keeping at this editor, I took a break from mine but after I get my puzzle game "Sequence" done for the competition Ill continue where I left off!

FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 13:42
Good to hear! I'm getting happier with this one but still a ton of stuff to do with it.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 13:53
Three changes are being made

1 - Loading tiles is being greatly improved. Now when you click on Load Tile a dialog box will appear and you simply select your image from there from any directory. No longer will you have to type in the image name.

2- The tiles you load up will each be visibly numbered.

3 - Replace will now be used by entering tile numbers instead of image names. As stated above the tiles are visibly numbered to see which one to use.

I'm almost through with these changes but there are still some fixes I have to make before uploading the new build.
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
How'd u get the new window up there?

Lookin' good, i'll download the next release and try it out for ya.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 10:22
Uploaded build 0.5.0.14

Above named features included.
Possibly still some minor bugs, but not sure as I haven't tested it much yet.
This way is definitely much faster getting your tile images loaded up.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2005 14:09
Build 0.5.0.15 uploaded.

Layer support added. 3 layers are available. When exporting your map currently this still just loads up your sprite layer as images, but I will change this to sprites probably tomorrow. More info above in the top post.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2005 09:00 Edited at: 17th May 2005 13:43
Forgot to code the scroll bars to work with the layers last night. Fixed.. New build uploaded

edit: Fixed some more problems. I hope thats all for now (i bet lol)
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 10:10
Took a break from the editor for a while. I'm soon gonna put in loading and saving of maps next.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 13:47
Build 0.6.0.9 uploaded.

Saving and Loading maps is now possible. I just finished this up minutes ago. I haven't tested for any bugs period yet. I only know that save and load both work.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 10:08 Edited at: 12th Jun 2005 10:21
new build 0.6.0.11

Fix some bugs including:

* When creating a new map the previously loaded tiles stayed. They now reset to blank. May later make this optional.

* When using Load Map the numbers on the tiles printed 10 or so pixels lower each time a map was loaded.

* Sometimes, usually after loading a map and then creating a new one, the blank tile grid pics could be pasted onto your map as a tile.

* Changing grid colors caused the grid to turn off. I had 2 functions flipped around opposite of how they were supposed to be.
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Can I suggest something. The way you draw the tiles in DBP is kinda of a slow way. You should have it only draw the tiles that are require to be drawn on the screen. And all layers should be drawn in one loop instead of three seprate ones.You should also put the level into a array instead of reading it from the data thing over and over(That way the user would have a faster way to check tiles and change tiles and it is better programming practice). Hope these comments help.

FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 06:46
Yes I realize this. I've mainly been focusing on the creating of the maps in the program so far. The export code was done very quickly. Eventually I'll get that part optimized for DB. I do appreciate the suggestion! Especially since it's mainly been only me posting here saying this and this has changed. lol
Any other suggestions or useful features that could be added from you or anyone else are highly welcome
Garfield rules
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried your map editor, and it's pretty good, but when I try to run the exported code in DB Classic, it says the data command has too many parameters. This only is a problem when I try to extend the number of horizontal tiles beyond 30, but still... Is there anyway to get around this?
Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried it but can't figure out how to make a map editor (my own). But it looks pretty good.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 06:48 Edited at: 16th Jun 2005 07:28
Quote: "I've tried your map editor, and it's pretty good, but when I try to run the exported code in DB Classic, it says the data command has too many parameters. This only is a problem when I try to extend the number of horizontal tiles beyond 30, but still... Is there anyway to get around this?"

I am going to redo the exporting code eventually, probably soon. I'll be sure to use a method that will work with both Pro and Classic.

Quote: " I tried it but can't figure out how to make a map editor (my own). But it looks pretty good."

What is it you can't figure out?

Edit: Seems in DBC that the tiles don't load correctly at all, for me anyway. I didn't get any error though. Like I said this way will definitely be changed and was just there as a quick way to show the editor is working.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 13:58 Edited at: 16th Jun 2005 14:11
I've been working on the exporting code. I have gotten some code written up in DBPro that will load the maps as well as scroll them up, down, left, and right. This also will only draw the tiles that appear on the screen. It's very basic and a little choppy looking but not too bad. I'm sure I'll improve on it later.

I haven't started coding this into the editor yet. I just coded it up in DBPro. May have it done late tomorrow, or possibly a day or so. Doesn't seem to work in DBClassic still. Not only does it paste the tiles wrong, but it pastes them almost one at a time instead of instantly as in DBPro.

Edit: I just got the exceeded maximum parameters error also in DBC. Must be a limit on the data command. If that's the case then the only way I know of right off is to just load the maps directly into an array, which would require extra files to be put with your program, unless you typed it all in later. Although earlier when it was working it was too slow to be of use anyway. Everyone should just go Pro lol
pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 10:12
Haven't been in this thread for a while. Just downloaded the latest build, seems to be coming on great.

About exporting your code via data statments, all you have to do is only export so much of your map per a data statment (I think the limit is 255 parameters, or something similar), and your current code will still work.

Also why not export the map data in a file then just have DB load it in as a memblock, its how I did my exporting code in my editor (which is on hold till after the compo).

Anyways nice to see you still working on this.

FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 12:16 Edited at: 18th Jun 2005 13:11
Never used memblocks before. I need to look into it. Thanks pizzaman

Build 0.6.0.16 uploaded today.

Now exported maps will scroll with left, right, up , and down. Also only draws the tiles that are on the screen at the time. As I said in the other post it is slightly choppy looking but it beats the last export code and will get better as the editor progresses.

[EDIT] Also for now, the Sprite Layer is actually just another background layer. So if you put in an enemy that's moving it's going to redraw him back at the original position when you scroll. Redrawing the Sprite Layer will need to be edited to correctly work with moving sprites (and most move )
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 13:05 Edited at: 18th Jun 2005 13:14
Next I will fix and improve a couple things.

- X and Y coordinates aren't correct because they were used for coding purposes, but will be fixed to show screen coordinates.

- Will add the ability to scroll the screen by more than one tile at a time. Imagine scrolling to the end of a 300x15 map! Probably a scale from 1 to 10, or maybe just by entering a number. Would like to eventually get the scroll bars back in but not worried about them for now.

- Will add some things to let you know a little better where you are on your map. Maybe color the arrows red and green for cant and can scroll in that direction, as well as the range of x and y tiles on screen. example (X Tiles: 1 - 20 Y Tiles: 1 - 15)

- Later I'll also start commenting the code the editor exports. For now the code is there to show the editor is working.
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2005 14:36 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2005 14:42
Editor now has a name, TileTech. Have some of the above stated changes made as well. Not yet uploaded. Gonna finish some more things before a new build is uploaded

Work In Progress 2D Tile Editor
http://www.geocities.com/charlie2k4/C2D.zip
Homer_76
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey! I hope you haven't given up on this editor? It think it comes along great!

Could you make an import function which imports tiles from an large bmp file and reads out the 32 x 32 tiles as single ones?

Also When I export do DB Code I always get Image does not exist at line..?

Keep up the good work!

- Why? Because I can! -

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:17:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:17:07