Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Shisaku

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 03:00 Edited at: 27th Apr 2005 07:42
UPDATE:
See latest post by me for new screenshots, a new monster and the day/night system.

shisaku
(n) trial manufacture; experiment; test piece; prototype; (P)

So there I was right. Playing Dark Chronicle on the ps2 (some know it as Dark Cloud 2) and I was hacking my way through a dungeon and finished the level easilly. I had already done this level of the dungeon, I was after medals, namely on an "after wipeout" mini game called Spheda which is much like Golf.
It gave me the Monster Wipe-out Cleared message and announced that spheda was playable on this level, would I like to be moved to the sphere? Why yes please. Oh bugger. It has placed the sphere (the golf ball) on one end of the dungeon and the hole on the other end with a cruel amount of twists and turns between the two. To top it off it has given me a crappy par to match in order to get my medal. I cursed the random dungeon generator and reloaded my game.

Well, whilst the new dungeon was being generated I began wondering. Say, just how do these random dungeon generators work anyway? I pondered this for a while whilst playing. Eventually I turned off my console and swivled my chair to face my PC instead of TV and began looking up dungeon creation algorithms online. Couldnt understand a single one if im honest So I decided that I would simply have to take a bash at it from scratch.

And now I present to you what this little random stab of curiosity has led to.

My generator turned out pretty good. I made it generate the data in a 2d array and just drew a little 2d map using the data inside - it started something a little like this:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku01.jpg
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku02.jpg
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku03.jpg
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku04.jpg

Getting better and better as I tweaked it more. I was satisifide, I had written my generator - test complete!

..not.

Someone challeneged me to generate a 3d world from it. Okay I thought, boxes and planes it is then, lets take a bash.

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku05.jpg

My challenger was content with that. However, I had just become hooked on this. I started thinking of ways it could be improved, adding ceilings for a start. I also wanted to add a test model (which i built up in poser then exported with low polys) so i could make a nice 3rd person camera. The movement is just like in Dark Chronicle, where you turn and move is based solely off the angle between you and the camera. It became this:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku07.jpg

and from there it just started getting crazy. I started thinking wouldnt it be nice if it generated more than one floor and had stairs. Then i started feeling cubes were not doing the look of the thing any favour and devised a template system where technically anyone can model a peice of terrain (as long as they keep within my specifications) and insert it in its own template dir and the generator will use it to build the dungeon. I then took my FIRST attempt at 3d modeling from scratch - and hah, i suck! but I needed some tiles to test the template system with
Heres a shot from outside the dungeon looking in at multiple floors:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku11.jpg

Then i thought map doodad entities (like rocks, bushes) etc would be a nice and welcome part of the template system which got randomly placed in the dungeon. Also, a minimap so I could see where the hell i was.

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku12.jpg

and finally, coded less than an hour ago:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku13.jpg

FEARSOME MONSTERS.

haha, no really, I dont know where Im going with this. A silly little burst of curiosity sparked it off and now to be honest im kind of hooked on working on this engine. Everything is a template. It would be nice if one day I got some guys to knock up a few 3d tiles for my template system who are able to model better than a moneky (thats me, i model like a monkey XD) and maybe monsters etc.
Im just going to keep tweaking the engine, maybe start writing a world map type system to move from one dungeon to the other and some other ideas I have, make my OMG! MONSTER!'s walk around a bit and display some signs of intelligence and if i get something close to a game beta then you might find me here asking if anyone would like to lend someone who is only good at programming a hand

For now, whatcha think of my little experiment? XD
and btw, this is written in c++ using DarkSDK ^^

-Seph

[07:16:59-pm] « Sephnroth » you were dreaming about lee...
[07:17:13-pm] « Mouse » stfu
[07:17:22-pm] « Mouse » he was hanging himself lol
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 03:33
Sweet!...wherever it goes keep it up!

DBAlex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 03:36
Ive seen this on IRC and yeah...its definetly cool!

The random dungeon thing must be hard to code...Ill stick with my fps i think...

lol

AMD 64 3000 + 512mb RAM + 80GB HD + Radeon 9600se 128mb
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice level editor
its just making alot of cubes right?

By the time you finish reading this, you realize you have wasted 5sec. of your life!
click here to return your 5sec.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 05:20
No. There is no level editor, the program generates the dungeons itself randomly. Everytime you run it you will have a different dungeon.

There are no cubes used in that one (except for the fearsome monsters!) - the dungeon "tiles" are made up of .x models which are part of a set. Thats my Lost Garden tile set I made, other people could make their own.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 05:20
oh, floors and ceilings are made using textured plains. It was the most low poly solution

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 05:42
Haha neat You could build a nice little engine out of this

BF game programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 07:22
sweet!!! good job

james bond rules
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 10:46
OMG! Monster!
Hilarious!

That is really something dude. Keep working on it!

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 13:07
Looks cool and the monsters are awsome . This looks like it's going to be an interesting game to follow
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 12:06
Quick update for you about whats going down ^^

TONS of work has been done. No screenshots though because the work done isnt the kind of thing a screenshot would show.

We have monster ai! Thats right, hide your women and children and lock your doors and windows. The OMG! MONSTER's (as i affectionatly reffer to them as) are now stalking and patrolling around my randomly generated dungeons quite happily. Anyone who looks at the darksdk forum will of noticed me working on that and the fact I had a bit of trouble involving a stupid error to do with angles, but it was all fixed and they move correctly and properly now

Also one of my best peices to work to-date (if i do say so myself) is my custom Vis system I just finished today. Basically, whilst the level loads it starts generating a visibility table. The table holds info on which objects are visable to the player on each sector of the map (the joys of grid systems!). This allows me to hide all objects that you wouldnt be able to see because of obstructions and gives us a hugeeeeee fps boost. For example, if you look streight at a wall you can be happy in the knowledge that im preventing darkbasic (or darksdk in this case) from trying to draw whats behind it.

Gives me an opertunity to either use higher poly terrain or just leave it alone so that people without monster machines can still play

I have to say im REALLY enjoying working on this. I've got some great ideas for it, lets see if I can manage to implement them! I'll keep you updated and post screenshots when theres something new to actually show.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 19:49
Wow, hiding objects you wouldn't see anyhow sounds really usefull!!
I wish I knew how to do that for my game...

Bizar Entertainment
Current game is Cronicle: The Legend of the Elementals
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 07:41
Okay, today has been a pretty good day for Shisaku code

I did away with my manual loading of objects and wrote a monster entity database system today ^_^ Now you just add a monster to the monster database (simple as editing a file, although I will make a util to do this too XD) and then thats it, its availiable in game. Stats, various animations, its all in there ^^ You just pass the monster name to the dungeon generator (its actually a tokenised list you pass) and it throws them in according to your specifications, yay!

Hehe, got some screenshots for you too! This morning whilst eating a larger than life portion of cereal and still waking up I started modeling an actual monster. It took me about 30 minutes, 660 polys total (remember, im no 3d modeler - im a programmer darnit) - i did it because i had set aside today to work on the monster database system and I wanted something to test it with along side my OMG! MONSTER!'s which are still in there (you know someone has already threatened to boycott my game if i ever release it without the omg! monster's inside >>

Heres the new little beastie:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku15.jpg
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku16.jpg

hehe a spider lol XD Well it sounded easy to model - and it was, so i chose it. Hes a gargantuan spiderling - a little infant. In my head i have plans for a gargantuan youth which should be about twice the size of that guy and a boss monster of a gargantuan mother which should be twice the size again if not more XD But thats all pie in the sky atm.

He was actually damn camera shy. He kept scuttling off whenever i tried to take a screenshot of him in game and then started pausing behind rocks and annoyingly close to walls ><;

And yes, ok, shes naked. Im sure you have noticed this. EVERYONE makes a comment about it so go right ahead if you need to get it off your chest >>; I didnt actually know she was.. so well defined. If you look in the other shots you will see why I thought this, until I added lights you couldnt really tell >>; its just a test dummy exported from poser ok? so dont get all excited XD

Speaking of lights, if you look in the top left of the two new screenshots you will notice a 24 hour clock being output. Thats the current game time. If you look at the shots you will notice things have a slight red tint, thats because it was early morning when took those shots and the sun haddnt fully risen yet It gets alot more yellow and daylightish at noon when the sun is the strongest, gets a dim reddish colour around 6-7 as the sun goes down and goes a nice midnight blue into the night.

The calculation for the tint is based off the current tick time (game time) and variables which set which hours match which time in the day - like theres a MORNING which is current 5am which is when the sun starts rising etc. Because these are variables and not constants i can change what time Morning and Night etc occurs at will and i already have some plans for a seasons engine where depending on if its summer or winter etc in the game the days are shorter/longer - it would also make it easy to do something like say if a "generic dark lord" does something evil in the game to make it always night then its simple enough to setup

Engine is coming along, im quite happy with it. Will keep you posted on any new changes.

-Seph

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 10:52
Lighting sounds and looks great!

If that isn't the Model you plan to use for your main character, then what will the character look like?

Bizar Entertainment
Current game is Cronicle: The Legend of the Elementals
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 19:55
thats not set in stone yet. I have a few ideas in my head but really lack the skill to make that kind of model from scratch (at least, lack the skill to make it any good).

I can draw however so I might try and do some concept art at some point - but for the moment the model of the main character is the last thing on my mind

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 09:45
Just a few quick notes on whats been happening recently.

Not an awful lot has changed with the engine asthetically, although I did take a day out to learn assembly language and I have been rewriting alot of the more intensive code in ASM which has given me huge FPS and speed boosts everywhere It now only takes about 3-4 seconds to calculate the visibility table for a rather large map - brought loading times right down and im quite happy with that too

The rest of my time has been spent writing tools to continue devlopment of the engine. I am, perhaps, a bit over kill when it comes to this kind of stuff, I love writing editors for everything. My friend always likes to make a joke about me one day writing an editor to make editors with XD But currently I have been working on utilities for editing my databases (so i dont have to manually edit in notepad all the time) and creating dungeon layouts (note, that could be misinterepreted as a map editor - its not. its an editor which says how many dungeon floors will make up the entirity of the dungeon, what monsters/treasure to put in there, etc - the maps are still random) - I also intend to be writing a scene editor. The idea of that will be when you enter a new dungeon it would display a map type thing showing you how many levels to this dungeon, brief descriptions of the floors you have been on, special map goals and targets and whatever else. But in the background I intend to have a small 3d scene which will be in the style of the dungeon you are at.

For example if you were in an ice dungeon the camera may be panning around a sort of ice terrain with objects that are relevent to the dungeon on the map. For the current world im working on I have spiders as the main threat and the terrain is grassy, so the "scene" file would probably be a kidna grassy terrain with spiders crawling around the place etc. Its going to be a bugger to code that editor but im looking forward to it

As far as the engine goes, the next step is to implement an item database and get treasure chests in the dungeon which are usable - this will also probably see the start of an inventory system (which even might force me to start coding a gui!) or some such.

Then I have a choice. Either I start coding the battle engine for dungeons/world map or I start working on the world map system (which would involve cities, fields, etc). I might chicken out from the battle system and start work on an editor for the world map because the battle system will involve me having to work out some complex formula's for the battle based on stats (rpg style - but real time) and more importantly (this is the big stopper) I will need a proper player with attack animations to write the code as I intend to have hits based on real time collisions against the player model and the monster model (giving me freedom to later add AI to make the monster duck, etc) and I dont have the skill to make that model. and I dont think the game is quite ready (or attractive enough) to make anyone else want to work on it with me.

We'll see

Anyway, short update became a big one. I'll keep you informed

Sam Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 02:21
I love the grass texture, it´s not fully seamless but it´s good quality anyway, very realistic texture.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 03:06
Yeh, do the world map system first- I always find things like battle engines to almost be like programing a different game entirely...

Bizar Entertainment
Current games are -Cronicle: The Legend of the Elementals
-Game the Ultimate: Virtual Platformer
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 06:57
Okay, woot UPDATED!

Its actually a huge update, but again most of it is code-wise and not alot to see for alot of the code :/ But there IS stuff to see for the rest of it

Okay, the item database code is complete. The monster database was remodeled a little too. The engine has a set of flags now which i can flip at runtime to do stuff like pausing select processes which allows me to stop monsters/effects/etc whilst a menu is open for example.
The item database and monster database now both use dynamic memory which makes for a much more optimised program! I cant remember if I said this before, but the visibility list also uses dynamic memory which cut program ram usage down from over 100 megs to 34

Everything that wasnt has now been rewritten to be fully modular. My engine is pretty much plug and play as far as most things go - instead of hard coding everything like loading of images etc the functions take names of templates for most things. Another example of this is the gui, currently it loads template "Default" and in the /Art/Gui directory you will indeed find a folder called default. If someone didnt like the gui they could just add another folder and fill it with their own gui images and it would instantly be ingame and selectable with no code changing required
The main idea behind this is I can possiably add say a normal gui and then a simple gui for people who like as little as possiable on their screens during games. But an additional benifit of this system is the engine is HIGHLY modable. It took a long time to set it all up.. but man im already getting the pay off with how much easier my life is now - for example to add an item to the game i just open up the database and throw it in and there, boom, job done. No code fiddling or recompiling
The modular nature of the engine will peak when I have added scripting support. I'm going for LUA as im familier with it, implemented it lots before and im comfortable with it Hehe, by the time im done I will be able to close visual c++ and write the rest of the game in one of my own editors XD

Anyway, enough of the boring technical stuff that probably even the most geeky of you are getting tired with

You can now pick up treasure. You approach a chest, hit the action button and the world around you pauses whilst it zooms in slowly on the chest and it opens. Then it brings up a notice of what you got. It only lasts a second or two so doesnt really interupt gameplay bad, I have seen other games use the same system and I quite like it

Here
http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku18.jpg

Usually that chest would be open at that point - but get this. When exporting my test chest model i made I forgot to export the animation data XD and further more, my milkshape trial just ran out so i cant export it now XD I will buy it when i have some more money

You will probably of noticed the gui now too The red bar is obviously HP, the blue bar is WP which is will points, or mana if you prefer. The diamond would hold the portrait of the currently active character (you can swap characters whilst in the dungeon!) and you can see her name to the right of the portrait The bar along the top is a user-customised multipurpose shortcut bar which I intend to be used for shortcutting spells and commonly used items. I may add more to the gui, im trying to balance accessibility without too much clutter though. There are plenty of things the user will need to get at (not just spells, but certain characters will have special, unique, abilities (i dont mind giving a way the fact one of the characters is a Bard and he will have music related specials) and then theres the summons..) but im going to end up with windows everywhere if im not carful XD

Anyway, screenie 2:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku19.jpg

Inventory! This may not look like much but damn its eaten so much time! That inventory is actually a 3d object. I had to write my own functions for pasting images into other images and stuff to generate its texture on the fly. I spent like 2hours designing it too XD
I'll give you a quick explination of what your looking at. In the item database there is now a new property for each entry which is icon. The engine maintains a small database of icons internally. When it draws the inventory screen it takes a peek at the item database to find an icon attached to the inventory item. If it finds one that matches one in its icon database then it draws it, else it uses the default icon which is that ? you see. I only drew 2 quick icons for items (and i did it in paint, can you tell? XD) which is why theres lots of question marks there.
I have yet to write a function to draw text into an image (though i now can thanks to IanM!) but the icons will sport a number saying how much you have of that item. In the bottom black rectangle under the inventory will be the name and description of the inventory item you are currently hovering over. Under the word Invetory in the top black spot it will state your money total and possiably how many items you are carrying. Over on the left its going to get interesting - that white rectangle will eventually be a 3d render of your character sporting an idle animation, it will zoom in on parts of the character as you hover over the buttons below that which are weapon, arm (armband) etc allowing you to see what your character has equiped and change it etc. In the black bit above the white rectangle it would be active chars name, level and hp/wp. Possiably stats if i find room XD

Anyway im writing a book here, I will stop because if it gets too big people wont want to read it >> I will leave you with this:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/v07.jpg

A small peice of concept art for a character called Valencia. Shes obviously a robot, but im not saying more about her because she has a particulary interesting story that im quite proud of You'll have to wait and see! XD Sorry for the quality of the image, my scanner is awol so i used my webcam and screenshotted it >>;

Anyway, as usual I appreiciate all comments and feed back. Maybe a little while before the next update after this, I have some tutorials to finish writing before a few certain people end up at my door with pitchforks and torches >>

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 07:44
That is looking awesome, and it's particularly interesting to read along with your train of thought in creating this

Keep up the awesomness

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
the invetory is huge and the girl 2

By the time you finish reading this, you realize you have wasted 5sec. of your life!
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 23:41
Looking great...i'll leave it at that rather than going through each bit of your essay and saying well done !

The robot chick is cool, though her eye seems to be crossing the contour of her face (her right eye that is)

Keep it up !

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2005 23:47
Thanks for the comments guys

@tifu - i'm glad -someone- enjoys my rants XD

@gogetax - i know the inventory is a tad on the large side - but is large item coverage meanings you see more and scroll less really a bad thing? If so it can always be adjusted. What do you mean "and the girl too" ? Shes a bit big? o.O

@baggers - thanks, i dont blame you for skipping the essay bit XD That line is not the contour of her face, its more like a.. well.. line, like a seam in her metal plating like on her arms. But her being a webcam screenshot really lost so much of the detail (you cant even read her model number on her shoulder..) that i dont blame you for seeing it as the edge of her face

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
i mean:
Quote: "the invetory is huge and the girl too"

the girl looking good...

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 09:04
This isnt a *game* update as such, but I figured some people might be interested in what the hell half my time is spent on between my long updates. So i'm going to show you an early shot of one of the utilities I am writing. I just started this like an hour ago and its already shaping up nicely:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/editor.jpg

This will be what I shall be creating the worldmap and probably things like cities in. It -might- be what I create a few of the preset dungeon levels in (amongst the random ones would be preset ones which include cut scenes and bosses etc) but im not sure as the dungeon format is quite a bit different from what this utility will be pushing out..

Anyway, it works alot like the dungeon seige editor if anyone has ever seen that. On the left is a list of nodes (and entities/doodads but i havnt seperated those yet) and they can be attached to any adjecent node. You can start a new "tree" if you desire for a detached bit of terrain (for teleporting to?). Thats just showing 4 untextured planes at the moment, the red one is the one currently selected and what the next node would be placed adjencent to (you can drag it around after).

Scripting will be handled through a LUA interface and on a trigger basis. Write a script (theres a text editor in there ) and attach it to a node and the idea is when a player walks onto that node it will fire off the script. Compiling would involve calculating the vis table and saving it along with all the scripts into one file. Maybe generating a shadow map?

The idea when it comes to floor planes is that you will be able to alter each of the four corner vertices and texture u/v's in the editor to make some truely unique terrain - including height. Thats the idea anyway.

I'll leave the rest upto your imagination

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 09:21
latest progress on the level editor:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shterra2.jpg

its shaping up okay, huh? ^^ I'm quite proud of the list on the left hand side - multiple categories, all categories can be collapsed/expanded etc, it works quite well

note, i zoomed the camera right out there, thats actually a fairly sized map (the "small" illusion is also helped by the fact i havnt added texture scaling yet)

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 10:21
Looks good, i especially like the folding menu idea...might have to nab that !

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 13:26
Wow, I honestly love reading your "essays". I find them extremely interesting. I envy your skills. ASM, C++, etc. etc. I'm more of a PHP, MySQL kind of guy and I dabble in DarkBasic. The game is looking great, and you've inspired me to start playing with some ideas. As far as modeling goes, I certainly am of no help, but my buddy is an extremely talented modeler and artist. I think your project is very deserving of his work. If you're interested give me a message at grifty@gmail.com. I don't want to give you his email as he might not like that.

Anyways, it's a very ambitious project and I look forward to all of your future posts. It's nice to see this kind of progress and screenies to show for it, there's not enough of that on these forums anymore.

In the previous editor you showed screenshots of, are you showing the land between the randomly created 'dungeons' or the cities, etc?

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2005 22:42
Thanks AP I'm glad that you like my work!
I'm not entirly sure what you meant by the previous editor, I have showed a line of in-game shots and then 2 from the same editor at different points of its progress (i'm still writing it!). But all the first set of shots are ingame randomly-generated dungeons, and the last two are just the editor not doing alot, they dont have any particular map on them just me testing node placement and texturing

Very interested in your friends work and glad you think my project is worthy of it! Its tempting to email you right away and get something hooked up, but I don't think that would be particulary fair on your friend as the engine, although capable, isnt really ready for streams of new intake yet, I would like to tweak it some more first I don't want to get some poor guy on board, have him make a ton of models and then say oh sorry man I just tweaked a few engine vars and now theres something different that needs to be done in the modeling stage - I *seriously* doubt that will happen but I would like to cover all eventualities for the sake of anyone who would like to offer me their help in the future
And, if shaders are ever patched to work in DarkSDK (grumble..) I will be making a very easy editor (another!) that will list the games shader collection and allow you to attach them to specific limbs of an object (like if you made a wall tile perhaps you would like to attach a displacment shader to the main surface and then a glow shader to some electrical pipes) - so give me a little while and I should be able to set any interested modelers up with a nice little set of tools for creating models for my engine

Thanks again, and dont be too surprised if I give in under the temptation and email you anyway

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 07:27
briefly, heres a quick concept of the main char of this game. I think she needs re-colouring, especially her skirt, I must be loosing my touch :/

and heres a full picture which includes the steps I went through to make her (the manakin was drawn on paper, rest in photoshop)

WARNING - Some people may consider the "manakin" sketch a nude, pfft.
WARNING2 - its not a small picture.

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/bella-concept-full.jpg

her name is subject to change. Well, tbh, all of her is subject to change XD

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
cool!!!!
well if u open for tips.. i think u should change her face
or hear.. i dont know.. try to recolor the heir to red or white.. and post to here i wanna c how it looks

does 1 + 1 is 11?!
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2005 09:17
I think GogetaX is right about concentrating on the face area...the only problem I see is that her face and hair arnt draw to the same quality as her body. Which makes me slightly biased against them.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 11:44
hehe, thanks for the comments on her, i'll give those areas a little more attention when I have time to stop coding and go all arty again

Anyway quick update. As far as the engine goes, the inventory is now more complete. It displays how many of a certain item you are holding, you have a cursor you can move around the inventory now and it reads the item descriptions of the menu database and displays them for the item you are hovering over. Also your HP, WP and stats (str, dex, int, etc) are displayed in the character section.

Just this second finished alot of work on the editor. I finally took a big breath and updated my DarkSDK to 1.1.1 as collisions are supposed to be fixed again in it and... everything went smoothly And the vertex editing commands seem to work okay now too. So i added the height editor to the level editor. Result:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shterra3.jpg

I wrote the code and everything seemed to go great first time and thats my result after 5 minutes of playing in it XD I left it in wireframe mode so you can more easilly see the fact theirs height. Thats not a matrix. Each one of those square tiles is a plane. You can edit the height of each corner of the plane which is editing the vertex data of the plane's mesh directly. I wrote the code so that it adjusts adjecent planes too so everything stays connected and smooth (although theres an option to turn that off!)

hehe, im running out of things I can actually code without new model intake. Going to have to take a day out to knock me up some more test peices soon XD

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 06:28
Okay, editor is really coming along so I wanted to show it off some more I think the editors etc that go with games are just as important as the actual engine, if not more important considering you use them to build the game. I hope to show you that by building a solid editor I will be able to use it to build a solid game

Anyway, height is in as said before and now you can finally use the entities side bar too, they are handled differently and have a seperate stack keeping track of their info to the actual map tiles so im glad to have them in. I built a little test map using the editor, here is a shot with the editor in "Edit Mode" and the renderer set to textured:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shterra4.jpg

Edit Mode plonks you fixed above your map, you can zoom in/out and move your cursor around to do.. editing.. yes, quite, anyway. Theres now a preview mode where I have encapsulated alot of my actual engine into the editor and it throws you in and allows you to walk around your indevlopment map as if you were in the game. Heres a shot looking at the distant trees from the house (also gives a good idea of scale, you might be tempted to think those tile squares are small otherwise )

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shterra5.jpg

Yes yes, i forgot to turn on transparancy for my trees. Also the big problem with the trees and house is.. I made them I will need to get me that modeler soon XD

One final shot looking west whilst standing on the east bank and with the renderer set to wireframe (yes, you can set render modes whilst in preview mode too!)

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shterra6.jpg

so whatcha think? Its coming along

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 08:15
Looks great, a really nice editor there. Looks reasonably powerful aswell.
Keep it up man !

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 09:43 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2005 14:38
just a note to everyone who cares

the shisaku project is NOT dead!

Updates have been few and far between here because i made a last minute decision to enter the puzzle competition. The other entrants have almost a month or more up on me so i have been working my arse off to try and get my entry upto the level of quality i think it will need to compete - and to be quite frank i dont think i am going to meet the deadline --; but i will submit what ever i manage to do as the game is already playable

In the mean time, the skilled jonny ree was kind enough to bail me out from my concept recolouring job and did a bloody awesome job of it himself

thanks again jonny
(thinking about it thats the first collab i have ever done XD)

Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 13:51 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2005 13:53
Quote: "the imfamous jonny ree"

I was kinda wondering about imfamous.. so I went to dictionary.com
and couldnt find it.. I could find infamous however:

in·fa·mous
adj.
1) Having an exceedingly bad reputation; notorious.
2) Causing or deserving infamy; heinous: an infamous deed.
3) Law.
a) Punishable by severe measures, such as death, long imprisonment, or loss of civil rights.
b) Convicted of a crime, such as treason or felony, that carries such a punishment.

Should I feel honored, or very hurt?

Sorry, just had to post my findings.. I'm no english expert myself.. and therefor I tend to look up words I'm not sure about if I see them written around. Find a lot of interesting things doing so. So that being the case.. I'm pretty sure it was you doing the bailing

Thanks for the credit though

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 14:37
I think i just made a classic screw up XD I was trying to remember a word that meant well known in a set circle - like if i called you famous that would imply everyone should know you anywhere more or less which is unlikely (unless you are a world renound artist? XD) but you ARE pretty well known for your skill on this board - for some reason the word imfamous came to mind XD

i think i'll go fix that >>;

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 15:22
look great sephnroth!

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 20:51
Sephnroth,

This thread is extremely motivating to me, with the everenhancing level editor and generator, and the most outrageous of good talent for art, from Johnny Ree, whoever he is.

+NanoBrain+
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 22:43
Jonny Ree - As always, great work!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 22:48 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2005 22:49
Woah, that's a seriously good recoloring job on the concept sketch! she looks pretty hot too...

Project is looking cooler than ever Keep it up!

Benjamin says: fecking twat of a program [msn7]
Meh blog
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 16:15
eh, whats this? A Shisaku update? no way!

Yes way

Well now that the puzzle competition is over and im not in forced slave labour over Iro (my entry - thanks again to all who helped me come fourth ) I have been able to work on Shisaku again. I do want to work more on Iro, theres alot of improvments to be made on it and i think its an alright game But my love is definatly the shisaku engine so its nice to have time for it again.

Going way back to the project start you may remember it was sparked off after playing dark chronicle on the ps2. Well I have been playing that more and it sparked off another thing. On the forest dungeon there was a special effect applied to the floor which basically faked shadows/light playing on the floor coming through hypothetical branches above your head. I had to have a go at that one! I started yesterday, got pretty far but ran into a brick wall. This morning however Mike managed to help me out briefly and I got it working

Result:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku-forestlight.jpg

A static screenshot really doesnt do it justice. What we have going on here is each floor tile has the normal grass base texture then on top two additional textures which are applied as blend maps. Each of the blend maps is slowly scrolled in oposing circles of varying radius giving the effect of branches swaying above you and light getting through - the two layers going in different directions give a nice sort of paralax effect and I at least think it looks sweet No shaders are involved and its pretty damn fast (scrolling is done with direct vertice manipulation) so everyone should be able to enjoy this effect.

I hope in a few months I can release a tech demo and get some accurate speed measurments from you all and let you play about with the engine Till then stay tuned, will update as more gets added.

Quick short note - I made a class to handle model animations and stuff with ease so this should speed up some devlopment time. You load a base model then append animations to it using my command set and you give each animation a text id which you can use to play it. The class has a framework for additional functions like the ability to apply morph targets to an object or its limbs - should be able to knock up some nice effects like facial expressions with that

Thats all the work done on shisaku so far. Til next time XD

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 16:59
Damn you make me want to learn OO. Looks like I`m going to have get that smalltalk thing.
That`s some nice ame making. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the votez!1!
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 22:18
Thanks mir, glad you like

Some people on the irc chatroom earlier wanted to see the floor effect animating so i eventually gave in and made a little video with fraps. Its short and not the best quality and i dont move around at all in it, just showing off the floor effect But I thought maybe you guys might like to see it too, it got a good reception on irc

here:

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku-effect.avi

1.5megs, DivX.

and now i have that working fine I can use the same technique for many other things. a sea bed (that one almost looks like that itself ), cloud shadows rolling across terrain, use a very faint blend map just to give objects a little shine - etc.

Cant wait to get that vegitation pack that i got for iro either, I intend to spend some time replacing my crappy rectangle bushes and stuff ahd I have it so I can make that look really nice

The Ringmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 00:10
No offence, but that parralax effect looks like you should use it with water, not grass.

Apart from that this looks great!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 16:46
Nice work! That floor looks pretty cool.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 18:20
Thanks

and yes I know it looks very watery XD But it does look nice. At the very least it adds ambiance. When im able to put some proper bushes and trees and stuff in it should fit better too
But I may alter the blend map and make it less dense which should help it look more like light through branches than water refraction - now the technique is in place its easy enough to tweak

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 03:39 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2005 04:01
Media player on my computer wont run it...

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 13:17
hmm, it was a divx file. Here, i have uploaded an avi encoded as wmv9 - any pc with an uptodate windows media player should be able to run it, but its slightly larger at 6megs.

http://www.melted.com/spectural/storage/Shisaku/shisaku-effect3.avi

tell me if it works

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:35:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:35:00