Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / D3D Extras

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 05:32
My D3D extras dll is here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=52852&b=18

Let me know what you think.

Antialiased text is quite slow but I'm investigating. It could be used to create sprites at the beginning of your program though.

The 3d text mesh is offset. It positions the first character with the correct font spacing, I am looking to change that but I just wanted to get the basics working first to prove it could be done.

Cheers,

Cloggy
Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 09:13
I have updated my dll. Antialiased text now runs up to 2.5x faster than normal DBpro text.

Check out the link in the previous post and please let me know how fast it runs for you. With 3 different fonts I get 163fps. Using 1 font with DBpro text command gives 100fps. A single AA font gives me 240fps!

Cheers,

Cloggy
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 20:43
Cool plugin Cloggy, this will come in very handy . I started a DBPro text editor for my own script system, but shelved it because of text drawing speeds - this could ressurect it and make my life a lot easier (currently struggling on with notepad).

Van-B

Quote: "How could I condescend you?, you don't even know what it means!"

Van-B's mom.
dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 07:25
w00t way way way faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111oneoneone

*cough*

Sorry about that outburst of excitement. I just can't stand non-anti-aliased text (or aliased), and the fact that this is WAY faster.
Now why doesnt this command exist it DBPro itself?...

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
http://www.brazilianhotties.tk
Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 07:45
I think the DrawText method was improved greatly in one the SDK's last year. Before that it wasn't too good (so I understand). That's probably why it was never included. Now as you can see. the performance is much better.

Also the dll writes the text to a sprite surface. The start text begins the process and the end text finishes it and displays the sprite on screen. This is much faster than writing each line of text to the screen one at a time.

I can't see why 3d text objects can't be in standard DBPro also, or 3d lines. They were all very simple to code.
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 20:04
Quote: "Now why doesnt this command exist it DBPro itself?"

It does now !

Cloggy: Well done man, this may end up being very useful to me !

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 20:07
Hmm just copied the new Dll into the "Dll user" folder in DBP and ran the old code you posted and it didnt work, can you post an updated version for us to test ?
Thanks man

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 20:14
Strange, it worked fine for me - I did stick it in my u5.7 install though, maybe the problems only with u5.8.

Van-B

Quote: "How could I condescend you?, you don't even know what it means!"

Van-B's mom.
Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 21:06
Baggers,

The following code should work with the attached dll

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 17:20
Awesome thanks !

Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 17:54
Baggers,

A more up to date version and a more comprehensive demo is posted here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=52852&b=18

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:29:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:29:09