Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkBASIC Pro & the emulation mode() Command

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I'm reading through the beginners guide to DarkBASIC & I'm currently on chapter 9: system & video cards command. I have typed in the 'system check program' but once I run it I'm getting an error saying that the EMULATION MODE() command is now obsolete! I'm using DarkBASIC Pro & it\'s my understanding that most of the book was written with DB not so much DBPro, could someone please tell me what can be used to get around this? Thanks ~JG
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 01:49
The command is non-existant in DBPro.

AMD Athlon 64 fx-53, 1 gig PC3200 Dual Channel Performance DDR, ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI-E, 74 gig 10000rpm HD, Abit AX8 Motherboard
Jester Gorky
Years of Service
User Offline
really? I never knew that... gee your so smart... cant wait til im as smart as you...ooo so wise...

Now is there a chance you could read the last sentence?
DBAlex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 02:50
You dont need the Emulation Mode() command...

just use Sync....

AMD 64 3000 + 512mb RAM + 80GB HD + Radeon 9600se 128mb
Dark Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 02:50
Quote: "gee your so smart... cant wait til im as smart as you...ooo so wise... "

Lmao...anyone could of told you that??

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 03:08
emulation is SLOOOOOOOOOWWW!, MS say in the DX sdk documentation that it should only be used by developers checking if effects not supported by their system will display correctly on systems that do support it, it was no use in classic anyway, since even if you used "set emulation on" the program wouldn`t run unless you had 3D acceleration of some sort, it was only ever meant for diagnostics in C++ programs afaik, nobody ever used it in DB anyway (basicaly cos it was of no use to anyone), just remove the instruction and continue reading (oh! and check pages 16/17 in the user manual for pro).

Mentor.

PC1:XP, P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro, 6 way sound.
PC2: Linux, AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, Nvidia GeForce4mx, 16 bit SB.
PC3: XP, laptop, intel 2.6ghz celeron, ATI 9000igp, 256mb
Jester Gorky
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey thanks mentor, thats more along the lines of an answer I was looking for. I'm not trying to write a program using the emulation command, its just the sample it's giving has it in it, anyways cheers guy! ~JG
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 09:54 Edited at: 25th Apr 2005 09:56
Tell me why you would need to check if the video card has hardware acceleration??? The average person does not keep an antique pc. All VPU's use it. Whoever turns off hardware acceleration shouldn't be running apps anyways.
Quote: " really? I never knew that... gee your so smart... cant wait til im as smart as you...ooo so wise... "
I know, don't even try, you might hurt yourself. By the way, use screen type() to check if the screen is hardware accelerated or not.

AMD Athlon 64 fx-53, 1 gig PC3200 Dual Channel Performance DDR, ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI-E, 74 gig 10000rpm HD, Abit AX8 Motherboard
Jester Gorky
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Dr Dre once again...

Quote: "I'm reading through the beginners guide to DarkBASIC & I'm currently on chapter 9: system & video cards command. I have typed in the 'system check program' but once I run it I'm getting an error saying that the EMULATION MODE() command is now obsolete!"

I'm not putting it into my program numbnuts, I'm going through the book, THE B.O.O.K. the beginners guide to DB & I'm on the chapter... a chapter is a small section of the book, now thats the beginners guide, listening are we? Gooooooood... & I'm on chapter 9 & its going over system & video card commands & at the bottom its got some source code for a program, so I typed the code into the editor, (now typing is the act of tapping the Corresponding keys on the keyboard to 'type' words, are you still with me Dr Dre? Gooooood)& I just wanted to see what was going to happen, then the error came up & then you stated the obvious, what I wanted to knwo is how to get past that, which Mentor helped with & for that I thank him, so anyway the problem has been solved thanks to the magical Mentor & now you can fade away Dr Dre with your West Side, East side E-Mail! wikka-chick style, peace-word-etc! tata MATE! ~your lord & master JG!
Scimac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2005 21:41
I'm also working through the book too and this stumpped me at first tto. I find that it can sometimes help to load and look through source code for the relevent program in the dbpro folder on the accompanied disc. If the function is not available in dbPro you will find that the program source is also not available.

I'm currently on chapter 10 looking at bitmaps, its really starting to get interesting now.

It's good to know i'm not the only one working throught the book at the mo.
Scimac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 16:52
I'm giving up on this book. It seemed to start so well explaining everything well but as soon as you get to the interesting stuff involving graphics and game loops all the clarity seems to have dissapeared to be replaced with unexplained code.

Can anyone give me some advice as to where to turn. I've worked through the book to learn the basic commands but still I don't feel confident enough to create a basic program. Any advice would be a bonus.

I'm using DarkBASIC Pro, so ideally any tutorials will be for the DBPro software.

Thanks in advance

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 19:27:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 19:27:14