Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / space captian <<<<< first game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 03:26
hi guys im new to dark basic (durrr)
and i coppyed this code and edited it as much as i could
and i was wondering if you could give me tips on what to do
like (background music, sounds, high scores, sprites insteed of comp drawen images) and if you could show me how to write them and
make them WORK

code is incased

THANXS GUYS

e-ray has STOPPED talking
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 02:36 Edited at: 28th Apr 2005 02:38
well, theres a problem and the source code wont come up, but there are a few things i need to say before i tell you to put the code back up....

1) Try not to just copy the code and just edit it, work on small things bit by bit till u know the code, like me, im still learning in little sections, im working on texturing models

2) Here are some tips: make a simple game, its not everyday u see any new person make GTA 4, but if you could make a simple pong game then everyone would think that you're a good programmer and stuff, so why dont you keep posting questions about making a pong game or whatever? thats what really get's you started....

3) Best not start on adding sounds just yet, it is pretty simple, but not needed, if you have finished a game , then perhaps add some

4) Just a simple tip (not to ruin anything for ya), dont expect much out of your first game, nearly EVERYONE gets stuck in a rut when making their first game, you may finish your first level or something, but you acnt go any further, it's really annoying but you get over it.

and finally 5) If you need any help the forums will definetly help out, just keep that in mind

"Well, if he dies, it'll teach him not to do it again." - Me
Eray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 03:28
ok so wat would u surgest to start with and DONT SAY PONG PLZ

i like this game though and i want to add simple things

ow and i dont GET 3D ?? it just puzzle me how u make matrixs and how u make a flat jepg into a 3D sprite

Killonyas Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 05:21 Edited at: 28th Apr 2005 05:23
I would be glad to help, I am also working on my first real game.

your source didn't post. Use code tags
it'll look like this

(code):this starts a code snippet, just press the 'code' button.
do
print "hello world"
loop
(/code):press the same code button again to close the code snippet.

use this, because I can't really help you without knowing the code.
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 14:06
eray,

3D can be truly challenging, especially without any prior knowledge in programming. I would love to help you get a good start in deep ground. So, let's start with something simple. But first, I do ask that you take your time to study the tutorials which come with DarkBasic. They will help you get good ground, even into the topic of 3 dimensions.

I want to help you get started in 3D programming within DarkBasic. Let's make a simple cube that you can move around on the x and z axises. Now, 3D stands for 3 dimensions, so there are 3 axises within a 3D world. There is the x, y and z axises. Look at figure 1 below.

This is how the dimensions in DarkBasic are set up. However, this may change from program to program. Now, the z axis is fowards and backwards movement. The x axis is side to side, and the y axis is up and down. For this program, we need to go fowards, backwards and side to side. Let me have you to know that every programmer has his own method to writing code. So, how I teach you may not be the way someone else codes.

Let's start with the writing now. I will be showing you the code in sections, starting with the topmost lines.

set display mode 800,600,32 is not a necessary piece of code. However, it does allow you to have control over the size of the area of the screen, which you may find quite handy sometime. The syntax for this line is SET DISPLAY MODE Height,Width,Depth. Height and width refer to the number of pixels across and from top to bottom of your screen. Depth refers to the amount of color. This command is limited to your machine. If you would like to find the available display modes your computer can handle, just right-click on your desktop and select 'properties'. Then go to the 'settings' tab.

sync stands for synchronize, and is what happens when the program refreshes the screen with all current information from the program. In typing sync on, I am telling DarkBasic that I want to manually handle the syncronization of the program. It is not necessary to manually control it, but it does come in handy when you need to update the screen at specific points within a program. I will explain how to further use this command later in this tutorial.

Next, is sync rate 60, which limits the amount of times the screen can be refreshed to 60 times per second. 1 = 1 second. This command comes in handy when you would like a game to run at the same speed on all computers. Now, not all computers will be able to run a game as fast as some, so there is no way to set a minimum speed of refresh. If the number is set to 0, the program will refresh the screen as many a time it can per second.

make object cube 1,10 will make a single 3D cube at the size of 10 units in width,height and depth. The syntax for this command is MAKE OBJECT CUBE Object Number,Size. Since this is our first object to create, object number will be a 1. You will want to increase this value by 1 everytime you create another object. The cube will be positioned at 0 on all coordinates initially. See figure 2.

position camera 0,10,-30 will place the camera 10 units up(y axis), and 30 units back(z axis), as the syntax is POSITION CAMERA X,Y,Z. x rotate camera 30 will rotate the camera, on the x axis, downward a bit to see the cube. To understand rotation, think about the bar of the axis being rotated on, as being the 'hinge' of the rotation. Even as a door rotates on it's hinges. If we were to place a door into 3D technicalities, we would say that it rotates on its Y axis. See figure 3.

More to come, I've run short of time...

+NanoBrain+
Lame Brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2005 05:59
Starting 2D is a good idea, and I hate to say it, Pong is a pretty good place to start. It introduces important concepts like coordinates, object tracking, and collison, and allows you to work with them in a realitvly simple enviroment.

Remember, anything complex can be broken down into lots of simple tings!

@NanoBrain I just noticed that you are right around the corner from me (I'm in McMinnville, OR)

(Formerly Posting as Social Disease)
Eray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2005 04:18
ok ok ill start with PONG but can i add me own sprites

i like to make my own sprites

ok ok PONG so were do i begin with PONG

pong !!!!

Eray
Years of Service