Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Need help with mapping!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 23:18
I'm having quite a difficulty with making a 3d map for a game. I once heard that a .x can be used for a map, so I made a small maze, and exported it to a .x. However, I was unable to make it so that you couldn't go through the walls. If someone could please tell me how to do such a thing with the giant model it would be largely appreciated.

unusuAl
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 01:09
Collision, I think works only with the complete .X file, so a complete maze would be treated as one object. As you already start inside it, there isn't a collision.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 02:30
what program is being used for the map. Cartography shop will export the collision for you to load with the x model. Otherwise you have to create a colision file for your model somehow into an array etc.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
You would have to turn on the very slow polygon collision. With normal collision, it's just treated as a giant box or sphere, no matter what it's actually shaped like. Otherways, you could use a BSP if you have DBPro.

bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
i was originally trying to do the same before I realised I was much better off using a matrix. you could heightmap a matrix and update the character to A) stay at a height just above the matrix and B) not go above a certain height. there like one line of code in DBPRO for texture map but in DB its not pretty. I got a tutorial for it on darkbasic.net

once u have ur heightmapped matrix, just update the character Y postition with the ground height where the player is. i checked if the destination is more than 100 higher than the current position (ie a cliff) before moving

i know its real nasty and not sliding (and u can get stuck) but its a start im still working on my own version. if anyone has tips on turning this code into sliding collision i'd be very grateful.

now i just hope i wrote it right
bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
lol i didnt.. try this instead

although im tired i could be making it worse

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:33:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:33:11