Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Noob seeks words of wisdom !

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi folks, I'm a bit confused about what Dev package(s) to invest in as a beginner - can anyone out there give me some advice please.

Here's my scenario. I'm a relative oldster (41) whos a keen gamer on pc and PS2. Like many gamers, I'd love to make my own RPG/3rd person action game. I'm not intersted in any commercial dev and I haven't yet tried coding (except some school boy BBC Basic stuff about 25 yrs ago) but I reckon I'm reasonably bright and I have the time to learn. Now, I appreciate that the game detail that I'd really like (e.g: a level from the Grand Theft Auto series or Baldaurs Gate) take experienced programmers hundreds of man hours and thousands in cash, but on the other hand I considered the '3D Game Creator' click and drag together package to be just too simplistic in appearance, animation and limited as to how the characters can be modified to appear and behave (at least as far as I can tell from the site demo). So, should I go for DB Pro and just be prepared to have a long learning curve? I see on this site that there are various packages to create characters, environments, buildings, trees, skies etc (e.g. Caligari's Game Space and Cartography Shop). Could I use these to construct a game world and DB pro to tell them how to move/interact? What I don't want to do is have to learn and write hundreds of lines of code just to get a wire frame cube to appear on a black monitor screen!(yeah, all newbies must say that). I'm also not too clear about how I would produce or obtain the game engine (is that what DB pro is for?) and what does 'compiling' mean in simple speak? I'm trying hard to learn the dev speak and find out what packages I'd need that I could realistically learn, but it all seems to be polarised between the simplistic (left click to add a stiff legged 10 poly 'man' to a pre-drawn world and you're now a developer)and the expert (spend two and a half grand on a C++ package and build your own engine with a million lines of mind bogling code over ten years). Anyway, sorry its so long winded, but can anyone please shed some light for an uninformed newbie without too much jargon, many thanks......
Mirthin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Go for DarkBASICPro. Despite the fact that the commands themselves are thankfully, incredibly simple to use, it offers a very wide range. It's certainly flexible enough for the sort of thing you're trying to do, and since you've used BASIC before, the fundamentals are the same. As for the media programs on this site, I don't know much about them. You can create a cube on-screen for the grand sum total of... one line of code. Don't get me wrong, by all means this is a fully featured programming language, sure enough, it's just so easy to use. The engine is the main program of a given computer game, and governs how the user interacts with it aswell as how it interprets data within the backend (the stuff you don't see going on when playing the game). DarkBASIC Pro is so simple, we have a forum called the 20 line challenge. You might have already seen it, but it's where programmers create something with only 20 lines of code. If you have a demo version of DBPro, you should head on over there for some inspiration. A compiler is a program which takes the code that you've made (which is a high-level language, meaning it's sophisticated and intellgible by us humans) and converts it into machine code (a low level language that the computer understands). Once you've got your program sorted, you'll compile it into an EXE file, which is the file you'll use to run the game. This conversion process means that the game can be played by users who do not have DarkBASIC Pro. It also means that the program will run faster. I can't say much for the help files, by the way. There are many fine examples of DBPro in action that come along with the disc, but they're not heavilly commented on and the help files just don't have enough answers. Thankfully, the kind people in this thriving community will help you out. I hope that's helped you out. I really don't like programming, but I strive towards doing everything I possibly can on a given project.
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 12:33
If you are truly commited to learning how to program than get DB Pro. IMHO, all the extra add-on programs are a waste of money...grab DB Pro and maybe a copy of MilkShape3D($30). The commands are not at all like c++, for example, to create a solid object on a black screen:

Very simple stuff once you learn it.

Digitalmodr
Coder_David
[Apolloed ]
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 18:49 Edited at: 27th Apr 2005 18:50
If you have used a BBC micro or an Aaiga with AMMOS then you'll feel right at home, Almost the same code just better at doing the long winded stuff that boged us down in the old days.

With DBPro you can make a full working 3D game with good coding in under 500 lines of code.

If you not done so yet down load the demo of DBPro and give it a try. (trying is worth a 1000 words)

In Space No One can Hear You Scream! (When your comm Line is cut?)
Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2005 20:34
It's probably all about learning at your own pace. Take little bite sized munches and then slowly work your way up. The way I did it was to make small snippets of code that I incorporate small bits of code so I can grasp another command or two.

Get DBPro if youre going to get anything, dont worry about DBC first (in my opinion) and if you want to do some 3D modelling, try Gamespace Light (you can get it free if you follow some links around the place).

If you D/L the demo of DBPro try out this code and play around with it and see what you can do with it (the "`" state that the line is a remark - something to remind you about things but does not get recognised by DBPro):

Believe me, once you get on a role (after a few days of experimenting) you can grasp things very very quickly. I've only been learning DB for what, four and a half, maybe 5 months, and I think I am reasonably educated with it, and I'm only a teenager.

Cheers and good luck.

Gaming resources.

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 14:16
To agree with all those who have gone before.. Get DBpro. I agree the 20 liners are a good place to start, but they tend to be all smunched onto a few lines and are hard to follow unless you take the time to expand the code out.

I would rather recommend the following thread
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=48011&b=1

All of the projects are fairly small, do some cool things, and don't use any media. Just copy and paste the code then run it. Once you get the basics then start thinking about a modeling package. I tend to make my own objects within dbpro when ever I can. But I can recommend cartography shop quite highly.

Have fun

`fodder

Something really catchy that makes people stop and think about the meaning of life and say to themselves "My but thats clever"
Deep Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks to those who gave me their advice on choosing a start-up package. I will buy DB Pro as suggested and maybe the cost effective modeller 'Milkshape'. Doubtless I will be hovering in and around the site for help!!!!! Cheers - Deep Thought

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 19:34:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 19:34:24