Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Need someone to help me (DBC)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First off, let me state I am not new to game creation. However, I am new to the FPS scene, and am trying to delve into that right now. I've tried the monster hunt tutorials, but they just don't seem to catch my interest, and so...

I would like y'all to help me if at all possible to make this happen. In this thread I'm going to post any questions I have, and hopefully somebody will be kind enough to help me out as I try to make this work. I'm going to be posting my current source code for the first little bit in each post, to show you what I've been doing, and then y'all can make suggestions.

First question: Okay, my collision works perfect and everything. UNTIL I shoot a bullet. I can't make heads or tails of this, as I don't see what it could be changing. Any help here? Code is attached.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 07:43 Edited at: 28th Apr 2005 07:45
Looks like a little confusion about collision boxes. When you create a collision box, it's usually intended to be a static collision box - typically used to keep a player in the game area or from treading into somewhere you don't want them to go.

I may be wrong - and if I am - my apologies. It looks like you are trying to use a collision box for the player and bullet collisions. You might be able to get this to work, but there is no need. Objects come with their own collision wire frames built in. You get 3 kinds. Polygon, Sphere, or Box. Each one takes up less resources (in the respective order) and is less accurate. I find boxes though are good for most collision needs and polygons slow things down way too much.

Just use 'Set Object Collision On obj#' (I think collisions are on by default though). And 'Set Object Collision to Boxes obj#'.

Edit: I also get confused sometime between which commands are DBC and DBPro. I think these commands are good for both. I'm not at home right now so I can't check my DBC commands.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo
REALITY II
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, I figured it out. What was happening was that I would shoot the bullet, and when I was colliding with the bullet it would void out all the other collisions, because I didn't want my player to be colliding with the bullet. And the way I had it, I had the bullet stay wherever it stopped at, so it would stop inside the cube, and since the collision was voided out, I could walk right through it

I fixed that though, and now everything is going smoothly. I'm going to make a quick game out of this engine(gonna be like 3D space invaders) and then release that before I start on my more complex version.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2005 09:59 Edited at: 28th Apr 2005 09:59
I will be looking forward to seeing it!

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo
REALITY II
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks I got the basics working, just gotta pop in some models and make it so more and more start appearing based on how long you've been playing... Then it'll be done!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 19:26:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 19:26:00