Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 06:38 Edited at: 6th May 2005 07:01
hello
i have a joypad with a driver that works.
iv tried using all the input commands but i cant read all the buttons. what i want to know is. is there any way to read all the buttons even if its from a memory location

thanks
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 04:39
If you have the correct driver, and it is correctly configured, you can have up to 32 buttons detectable by DBPro (can't remember for DBC - it's probably only 4).

There is no 'memory location' you can read from to get the button status - sorry.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 05:57
ok thanks for that answer not the one i wanted but it will have to do.What about reading the memory addresses of the usb ports cant that be done in dbpro
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 06:44 Edited at: 7th May 2005 06:47
Quote: "i want to know is. is there any way to read all the buttons even if its from a memory location"

How many buttons are there on your controller? There's support for a couple dozen, at least (maybe 32?) with one of the joystick commands. I think it's joystick fire()? (sorry I'm at work and don't have my DB compiler installed here). I've got at least 16 of them on my Axis Gamepad and DB sees 'em all.
moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 11:19
have you ever seen an xbox gamepad that what im using
it has 2 triggers(sliders) 2 analog sticks(x,y-axis and zx,zy-axis) 1 direction pad(8 directions) 6 analog buttons(0 to 255)
4 digital buttons(off and on)
i can read both analog sticks,left trigger,direction pad,4 digital buttons the rest i cant read
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 07:29
6 analog buttons
god dude how are u going to use them all

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 10:43
Quote: " 6 analog buttons
god dude how are u going to use them all"

More to the point how are we...if its a project only or you fine but if its meant for us too...well i for one dont have 6 analog buttons !

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 01:32
if i can get it to work it could benefit all its not hard or expencive to convert an xbox pad to work on a pc.xbox pad £20-£30 usb cable £2 drivers free.With all them buttons , sliders , 2 x-y axis sticks and a d-pad it can be used for just about any game you can think of.im sure i will find a use for them as could anyone else who wants to
i have the saurce code for the driver but i cant make anything out of it as it has been writen in c++ i think
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 21:40 Edited at: 9th May 2005 21:41
Mad as can be,

I have to agree with Baggers. To add to his thought, I will say that you will find the need to make a very intriguing game, raising the desire for an individual to wish to work to hack his xbox controller to his pc.

However, there are many other controllers out there for the pc also, in which you could create an options menu for the user to be enabled to use the controller he has. The options menu would need to include code that searches for any available user controllers, and then allows the user to choose which buttons do what. You could still implement a developer defined button map(which buttons do what) specifically for the xbox controller. Then, post throughout your game how to hack the controller and use it, and why the user should use it.

+NanoBrain+
moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 09:37
hello NanoBrain

first you said :: there are many other controllers out there for the pc :: but none have as many buttons or as good!

second you said :: you could create an options menu for the user to be enabled to use the controller he has ::
i need to get mine to work first then i can think that far ahead

third you said :: The options menu would need to include code that searches for any available user controllers ::
iv tried all the commands for input devices and i cant recognise all the buttons on my controler (iv tried 4 drivers now and i get the same results)these drivers work for almost all the games i have and i can select what buttons do what just not in dbpro

forth you said :: then allows the user to choose which buttons do what ::
im sure other people have had problems with controlers where they cant read a button or two thats why i want too if i can read a memory location(can anyone remember the peek() command from years ago) i want to be able to read the raw data sent into the usb v2.0 port maybe i can work somthing out from that!!

fifth you said :: You could still implement a developer defined button map(which buttons do what) ::
i need to be able to read all buttons first i think ! but if you know something i dont plz tell me

sorry for going on what i can do if you are interested i can send a xbox pad,cables and drivers if you want to help!! haha !! help plz the source code is in c++
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 11:09
The X-Box gamepad doesn't have analog buttons, I'd be interested to know how and why yours would/does.

Also you can pick up the parts to create an X-Box -> PC Lead from Maplin for like £3 if that.

It isn't that hard to do.

As for gamepads as good quality with as many buttons.
I have the Gameware USB Rumble Controller, and the Gravis Aftershock USB Controller.

Both of them have 12 Buttons, 4-Way Direction Hat, 2 Analog Sticks and full Force Feedback through 2 Motors.. Right<->Left Controls the Left (stronger) motor, the Up<->Down Controls the Right (weaker) motor.

Drivers for both make them work with almost every game title, in-fact you can setup the Gravis Aftershock to emulate any number of combinations you choose. So games that don't even had Gamepad support can still benefit from it.

The Gameware one is £10, the Gravis one is £20.
That is ALOT cheaper than your solution.

This aside, your drivers (if they've been developed correctly) should be useable directly with DBP. As I've not seen any 3rd party PC drivers for the X-Box controller I don't know.

I found when I connected the controller Windows XP instantly recognised it as a 6 Button Joypad with 2 Joysticks and a POV Hat.

[ Liandri Corporation / Chief Software Architect ]
moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 21:34
1st thing the xbox pad does have 6 analog buttons . if it dosnt how come in the driver setup program i have i am able to read how much presure i am aplying from 0 to 255

2nd thanks for the info on that Gravis Aftershock from what iv read on it it seems to be a very good pad i will get one might save a lot of time and hastle

thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 19:36:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 19:36:02