Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / LOAD BSP! Arghhh...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 19:25
Hi, can someone tell me why :

ends up with a black screen with nothing on it? Is it because it doesn't come with a PK3 file? I looked it up and it says you should leave it as an empty string, so why doesn't it work?
DarkBASIC Professional is the best programming utility.
8/10 Housewives agree!
Bighead
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it a Quake3-bsp file? 'cause I only have that problem with Q3 ones. The program shows that black screen for a long long time (while all the RAM is consumed) ...

Then, when I compress all the files in pk3 format the world is loaded without any of the textures (it is displayed in black).

However, everything goes ok with Half-life-bsp files, either I compress them or not. The world is loaded relatively fast and fully textured.

Any ideas?
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 14:43

Try looking around for your world with this. It could just be position off-screen.

PS - there was no sync in your above code either.

Visit [url]www.lightning-systems.co.uk[/url]
You are the th person to view this signature.
Bighead
Years of Service
User Offline
I still having trouble only with Q3 BSP files.

Pls read here
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 19:40
Q3 maps work fine with me, in fact i get over 250FPS! H/L bsp levels are really slow and i get about 30 FPS, how strange...

The black screen thing may be there cause you aint positioned inside the level. it's a pain in the backside to get the camera and objects positioned correctly is BSPs

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
DaZCWA
Years of Service
User Offline
sometimes when i try this it takes a good 25 seconds to load a bsp then the screen goes back to blue and displays the bsp....jus give it some time

DaZ

"There is only 2 ways off this island: The first is in little pieces and the seconds with me" - (Hunter/DaZ)
Bighead
Years of Service
User Offline
Inferno: when you say that Q3 maps work fine, you're not telling me how you load the maps. pak? pk3? none?

CDsoftware: I compiled the example level that comes with gmax with Quark, and although it is a small level it takes to long when the file are place directly in the application folder (I mean, not in a pak/pk3 file).

There are 3 different weird thing here:

1) When I put all the folders in a pk3 the Q3 level is almost instantly loaded but without any of the textures. Thus, base on the above-mentioned, one can suppose that it is not a question of positioning.

2) Now, if instead, I use a pak file, DBP displays that strange error message 'bout not loading the file.

3) So, considering that my RAM is completly "drained", I guess that the black screen means that DBPro is still loading the level and when all the files are placed outside a pk3/pak.

And believe me, in the latter case I waited for more than 5 minutes, the screen is still black and my RAM totally taken ...
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2003 17:56
Are you using textures that you made you self? If so then the textures must be in either JPG or TGA format cause for some reason quark converts the textures to TGA.

Check that the textures work in the texture directory which quark makes. If they don't work just replace them with a texture you have converted to TGA yourself and in therory it should work. Also have you put lights in your level?

Quake 3 maps should be placed in a pk3 file along with the textures dir and scripts dir.
so inside the pk3 should be the directories:
[maps] [textures] [scripts]

Put the pk3 file in the project directory and in dbpro type in load bsp "pk3name","maps/mapname"

Bighead
Years of Service
User Offline
The pk3 file includes all of those folders and their respective files, and I added 6 lights. Still, everything goes black.

Let's do the following, 'cause I'm really stuck here: tell me your email address (or just write an email to quemarote@hotmail.com) and I'll send you the pk3 file -and the source code I'm using to load the level- for you to try.
Bighead
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I found the problem. In the bsp-lighting phase the program calls "Q3MAP.EXE -light" but for some strange reason the resulting shader file doesn't work in DBP (even though it works with Q3).

I downloaded Q3Radiant and everything is perfect in DBP from square one.

So, just to try and see what would happen I combined the map compiled with Quark with the shader files from Q3Radiant, and guess what, all the lights were on.

Weird ...
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2003 02:11
So it works? Great
BSP can be a real pain in the backside sometimes, especially the collision (in my game the camera keeps on falling though the ground at odd moments). Hopefully all probs will be fixed after patch 5.

Bighead
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, it does, but only within the pk3 file.

I'm comparing now the shaderlist and .shader files to see what's actually the problem. They look quite the same, being the differences just comments. Well, I don't know ...

I guess patches 4'n'5 will drive DBP to the next level ...
Bighead
Years of Service
User Offline
ooops! wrong button ... [img][/img]
Murdock743
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same problem but I use CShop is there any need to have .pk3 and if yes how do I convert it frome .x or .bsp.

Bighead
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, a pk3 file is similar to a zip file, so it lets you keep all your world files within the same compressed one (bsps, textures, shaders, etc.).

To build a .pk3 file I use Pakscape, but you can also make a ".zip" file with say, Winzip, changing its extension to ".pk3" ...
Phoenix
Years of Service
User Offline
[img][/img]

Peace is but a shadow of its painful past.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 22:41:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 22:41:23