Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / skyboxes with X files or mulitipull images?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2005 23:40
Hi All

Been serching the forum on skyboxes, and is a bit confused on which is best to learn to use. Have found filename.x files and the load 6 images type, which is best?

or which is easiest to use?

In Space No One can Hear You Scream! (When your comm Line is cut?)
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 07:00 Edited at: 7th May 2005 07:04
Most of the debate seems to be between skyboxes and skyspheres, rather than skyboxes vs. 6 planes textured and arranged as a cube -- which is really just a skybox.

The skysphere users say they enjoy not having to worry about distortion at the edge of their spheres, because there are no edges! I'm a box fan myself because that's why I cut my teeth on and they're so easy to generate in Bryce. I haven't had as much luck creating an image that maps smoothly onto a sphere, but Van B. posted a program in the general chat that will take an image and do that for you. I've not been able to find many seams or distortions in the skyboxes so far.

Here are some (free) skybox samples. They are a single cube built in Gamespace, all the faces flipped to face inward, and textured with images from Bryce. The cube is named "cielo.x" for each and every skybox. The .X object references the texture files so you load the whole thing by virtual of one LOAD OBJECT call. Perhaps somebody could post some spheres for you to look at, and you could see which you like the best.

http://www.alsip.net/gamedev/media/index.html

http://www.vaxwar.com/gamedev/media/index.asp

Sorry for the disorganized format of the web sites, they're under continual construction mixed in with long periods of neglect.
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 10:51
I went for the 4 plains...but thats just because thats how i learnt it...the real advantage of those skyboxes just is how seamless they can look...its pretty impressive.

Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 11:13
Nothing at all wrong with 4 plains, but you'll want a 5th for the top of your sky!

There's a really good tutorial on the plain method somewhere in the tuts section of this website. It might be the one you were referring to. I went through the tut last winter, it's where I got the really good info on clamping or stretching the textures at the edges to avoid seams. Even the really nice (commercial) SkyMatter boxes will give you seams in the corners if you don't change that default texturing mode. Those plains also look really nice when you've done that!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 19:26:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 19:26:52