Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Primix (puzzle comp)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 07:52 Edited at: 9th May 2005 08:51
Well I am working on a 2-d game for the puzzle comp.

Here's an early (very early) screenshot

Here's the rough concept:

The game is sorta like a mix between tetris, and some matching games like cubis, except with a twist.

objective:
The way to clear cubes is to have a combination of primary->secondary or secondary->primary colors.

for eg. the folowing (*in any order) would be a solution set:
blue,yellow,green (*yellow,green,blue is a solution as well)
Red,yellow,orange
blue,red,purple

pieces come out in threes, kind of resembling tetris pieces, the patterns are as follows:

XX
X

XXX

X
.X
.X

.X
X
X

(note: I've made sure that the color pattern of the piece is not a solution in itself.)
And can be rotated 90 degrees at a time; right and left.

gameplay:
Unlike tetris the pieces don't fall from the top. Instead they appear
randomly (for now) on outside of the board. You can move them around, but they collide with other set pieces. So part of the challenge is manuevering around the board. You have x amount of time to set the piece before it automatically is placed where you are.

The idea will be to clear a certain amount of pieces, as well as other suprises. More points are awarded for clearing in multiple directions on a single placement.

A "COMPLETE" PRIMIX: Is when you clear a "+" pattern for a total of nine blocks (*or more (depending on surrounding tiles) at one time) :
eg.
OOOGOOO
OOOYOOO
OPRBRPO
OOOGYOO
OOOYGOO

In the above example the last piece to be placed was
B
.Y
.G

where (R=red,Y=yellow,B=Blue etc...) and O=can be a blank square or another color. It's quite a difficult achievement (and therefore will be rewared handsomely); as it's hard to place tiles without inadvertanlty creating a solution set, or worse creating a grouping of 3 of the same color as mentioned next.

Some puzzling ideas:
Placing three of the same color either, vert, horizontal or L shaped, will cause those areas, of the board to be erased, collapsing the grid in on itself. This isn't good as it will give you less and less board space to make a Primix.

I should have a rough demo in a few days. In the meantime I am working out other play options, puzzles, starting board layouts, powerups and the like. Hopefully it will be as challenging, and fun as I imagine it. It takes sometime reprogramming yourself to not match colors, it's a habbit and something we seem to do naturally. Even I, while playing find it hard not to match the color; but think about the mixing of colors.

I'm open to comments and suggestions.

Also, the graphics right now are stand-in; and mainly there so I can test logic and play options; it's possible that I may use a combination of 2d/3d or even an Isometric view.

Thanks
~zen

Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 08:05
sounds awesome!

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Great idea!

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
BF game programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 08:46
looks cool!

james bond rules
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2005 08:49
Thanks! I actually came up with the idea while playing FOG'S mono, and a sugesstion I made about colors and such.

So I would like to thank FOG for putting my brain in a "twisted" state.

Other influences(some I have mentioned): Tetris, Cubis, Bejeweled, and a host of other matching games that I found addictive.

==========

After long sessions of brainstorming I finally hit upon the idea above. As far as I know it's orignal, yet it borrows from numerous games that I enjoy playing.

Coming up with a puzzle game has been more challenging, yet rewarding than I had thought. I have enough logic tables, and matrices drawn up that I'm afraid my workspace is beginning to look a bit John Nash like.

=====================================================================

I'll post a simple demo soon, just so people can try out the basic concept; and get a feel for the gameplay. I think it's quite fun, even without the powerups, so hopefully others will find it entertaining.

~zen

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking SUPER good, better than when I first posted! Can't wait for a demo, or at least for July 17th!

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 14:08
Thanx Nitrixik!

-I have the collisions and rotations working.
-I'm in the process of finisihing the scoring routine
and implementing FX

Next I'll be updating the graphics and Level designs
And working on collapsing the grid

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
um...the numbers in the top left (when you took the pic) were off, it should be (the second row):

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 22:27 Edited at: 11th May 2005 22:50
Nitrixik,
Good eye! I'm glad someone actually looked at the grid. But what is going on when I grabbed the screenshot is:

The piece in the top left corner hasn't been set into the grid yet. It's currently the piece that is being moved.
The grid shows the values of pieces that have been placed.

(I also had my set sprite alpha command rem'd out; had it been in, it would have been easier to see that the current piece is semi-transparent compared to the set pieces)
====

The next grid shows the collision pattern of the current piece.
That 3*3 grid is checked against the current location 3*3 grid of the board. I'm just not displaying that in the above run-through.

To check for collision, I compare the current piece 3*3 grid with the current location board 3*3 grid (actually I check ahead one location more to the right,left,up,down depending on which way you are moving).

The highest number in the collisin pattern grid is a 7. So for collision I add the two grids together, if the resulting grid has a element that is greater than 7 then the piece has collided, and movement is prevented.

P.S.
temporarily I have the piece automatically start in the upper left. and I'm not ceheckiing for collision at the point when the piece comes out. Tha's why one of the tiles is actually under a set piece. This is ok because I plan on having the pieces apppear outside the board in the actual game. It was just easier to test everything this way first.

the values of the colors will also be changed so that it will be easier to score where solution sets are.

~zen

Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2005 00:23
Cool Zen, looking forward to playing a demo.

Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
will there be an option to have letters on the squares instaed of them being coloured for those people with black and white moniters. Lokking great by the way.

The happenings of tommorow are behind us now
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds kool! so, you take a number of lines just to create that grid and compare it to the current grid? and if numbers overlap...then the piece stops?

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2005 05:38
Quote: "So I would like to thank FOG for putting my brain in a "twisted" state."

I fear a lawsuit comming on

Looking like real mind hurting stuff Zen....nice

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 07:17 Edited at: 14th May 2005 07:21
@nitrixik,
I sent you an e-mail. But, Yes that's pretty much the way I detect for collision.

---

Hmmmm. All of a sudden I see tons of posts of games involving blocks. Makes me feel like my idea is going to get lost in a sea of block games.

I still plan to finish it, as I really think this is different, but I'm going to have to make some changes.

I guess it's good in a way. Because besides the gameplay, It's going to force me to make my game really special.

So I'm handing down the gauntlet to you other blockheads. Hope you all can keep up!!!

Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 07:24 Edited at: 14th May 2005 07:25
Quote: "Hmmmm. All of a sudden I see tons of posts of games involving blocks"

Hey! I started my game the day or the day after the competition was annouced!

Anyhoo, When can we expect a demo from you Zen?

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
don't make it blocks, make it some wierd, random, shape, maybe like pacman or the pacman ghosts, that would make it stand out.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2005 09:46
@Skeletor,

Witty as ususal. I see you haven't lost a step.

I could release a Demo as early as this weekend. But honestly at this point only the basic game structure is implemented.
-Moving blocks
-Clearing blocks
-Basic scorin

I want to at least have some of my other puzzle ideas implemented before releasing. I'm afraid if I release too early of a version, people will think, "that's all there is to the game!" Perhaps they may not try it when the true gameplay can be experienced.

And skeletor you know that I can't just stay on one thing

I think I'm going to try my hand at some 3d on this one. So don't be suprised if I ask for your help.

BTW, I wasn't referring to your game. I see a lot of block-type games, and I won't be suprised to see more. But all of us are going to have to kick-it-up a notch to be the Blockbuster of the compo.

@Nitrixik,
Donuts. C'mon Everyone loves Donuts.

Good luck everyone

~zen

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
donuts if it's 3d, and try and get written permission from the makers of the Simpsons to have some of those guys in the background.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:22:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:22:47