Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / my models dont workl properly

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 22:41
I´m using 3d Canvas to create my models but when I import to DB they dont come with textures! How to fix it?

Your code is MISS? Then Make It Simple Sidney!
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
use 3d max, its much better..

By the time you finish reading this, you realize you have wasted 5sec. of your life!
click here to return your 5sec.
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2005 09:31
A couple common probs with .X files and missing textures are related to how the texture file name is stored in the .X file. If a pathname is harcoded into the file, then the texture has to live in that place, that place only. If not, you get untextured models.

If there's no pathname, then the default for the texture files is the same folder as the model itself. If the texture files aren't in there with the model in this case, the model is untextured.

In older versions of DirectX, there was a limit on how many characters of the texture filename were recognized -- the old 8x3 format. I doubt this one is actually hurting you though.

A quick way to check for these probs is to open your .X file up in Notepad. Use Edit |Find and search for the name of your texture file. You will see exactly how the texture is being referenced. If you see something like "C:\My funky dir\hardtofindtextures\mymodel.bmp", you've got hardcoded pathnames and the texture must exist there.

If instead you see something like "mymodel.bmp" without a pathname, then you want your texture to be in the very same folder as the model. So if you're doing LOAD OBJECT "C:\models\mymodel.x", you better have your "mymodel.bmp" in C:\models\ also.

Don't know if this relates to your situation or not, but it is a very common problem. Folks create the models and move them, redistribute them, but don't take the textures along for the ride (or forget other people don't have the same directory structure).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 19:31:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 19:31:21