Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D Traffic Jam

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 07:25 Edited at: 11th May 2005 07:43
3D Traffic Jam is a game I’ve been working on for the Puzzle Compo the past few days. This is actually my first real game, but I have been working with DBC for about 6 months. I am using the trial of DBPro for this.

The game is based off Rush Hour, where you try to get a car out of a traffic jam by moving cars forward and backward. More info on the original here: http://www.puzzles.com/products/rushhour.htm

My version is basically a 3D version, which will hopefully include lots of added features to make it more entertaining.

Here is a screenshot of the title screen:

A screen of the game itself:

Some features I hope to include:

Scenery, to take advantage of the fact that this is 3D, and to have something to look at.

Different maps, instead of the grey grid, to give it some variety.

High score system, which will be easy to add.

I already have a working level editor, which I will probably include so the user can make their own traffic jams.

I am working very hard on this game, so hopefully there will be frequent updates. I may be able to get a demo up soon .
BF game programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 07:27
i ve seen this before in stores. nice keep up the good work

james bond rules
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 07:49
This is probably my favorite puzzle game that requires no computer or calculator- can't wait to see how it does in the compo!

All the features you plan to include are great, but remember that it's very easy to make an imposible trafic jam. Take this into acount if you include the level editor, so users don't frustrate themselves making cool but impossible puzzles.

One more thing- from the looks of this you want to be true to the original, but if you add scenery it will probably look better if the cars look a little more like cars than pieces of plastic. Maybe I'm wrong, but you should probably try just in case.

Currently working on BlockMan Remix
Hoopkid ups
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments!

If I can work it out, I'd love to have a function in the level editor that would check whether the puzzle would work or not. The best way to do without it though, is to work backwards with the logic. Start from when the car has reached its destination, and carefully add cars. This way you'll know there is a solution.

Also, I'll probably add an option to change the look of the cars, to help them fit into the scenery. The plastic cars might look good in some scenery though, like a tabletop, in a living room or something
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 09:11
Sounds good.
Glad to see you that know what you're talking about!

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Great! I now have three (i think) ideas to vote on, not including my own (which won't be made)

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 15:16
You could always get a copy of Rush Hour and use their puzzles...

Looks awesome though, my 6th grade math teacher had this so we'd always nab it and hide it under our desks and play during class.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
Hoopkid ups
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " You could always get a copy of Rush Hour and use their puzzles..."

Yeah, for some reason I already have like 3 copies so I may use some of their puzzles, but I really want most of them to be original to my game.

Also, I just created the plastic truck, here's a screen:
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2005 05:23 Edited at: 12th May 2005 05:49
Looking good!

Yah, It's probably a good idea to make most of them you own, but I'm guessing that means that most of the puzzles are giong to be larger than the ones youy're showing us now.

Just out of curiosity, how do you control all the cars!? I can think of no user friendly way to make this work well.

Hoopkid ups
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still brain-storming ideas for methods of control. Right now, you just click on a car to move it forward, and right click to move it backward. To make it less confusing, I added an arrow that will show up when you move the mouse over the car, pointing in the direction that it will move.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2005 05:51 Edited at: 12th May 2005 06:00
Alright, thats pretty good. I didn't relize you were using the mouse as it wasn't in the screens.

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Controls:

Left click: Select car. Two arrows now appear showing which direction the car wil move.

Left click on arrow: Move car once per click on arrow

Spacebar: deselect car

Include trains and such, and maybe red lights.

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 04:55 Edited at: 13th May 2005 04:57
Sound like a good idea, but you don't need to deselect a car. Just click on another car to switch!

so Hoopkid, you like Nitrixik Studios idea, or have you got a better one? Or would you rather keep it the way you have it now?

Hoopkid ups
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, I came up with a method kind of like Nitrik's idea, but instead of clicking on the arrow itself, you just click on the front or back of the car. Clicking on the back will move it backward, and clicking on the front will move it forward. It seemed more fluid than left and right clicking. I'm also going to keep the arrows, just in case people get confused.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 05:28
Sounds good, no compaints here.

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 07:45
Now this reminds me of a really old game I had on Wndows 3.11 called Klotski (think it was Russian), same basic idea but the puzzle sizes in Klotski were huge, some took hours to figure out. I'll definately try a demo of this!

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it!
Current Projects: Lemmings Remake
(Untitled) Puzzle Game for the Compo
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm also going to keep the arrows, just in case people get confused."

make it an option, if you click a checkbox, you get the arrows, if not, you get your way, because personally, I wouldn't like to have to always click on the front of the car, I'd like to see the arrows, but every1 is different...

[me]"My throat froze!"
A.K.A Death Stalker
Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 11:09 Edited at: 13th May 2005 11:09
looks cool

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
aw...when you said 3d traffic jam i thought it was gonna be like 'virtual stuck behind a bus' like in Family Guy..oh well.

btw, looks good. the best DB/DBPro games are the ones kept (relatively) simple...and they're pretty much the only ones that get finished.
Keep it up!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 08:25
Just posting here to get this back on the first WIP page. Lots of games with no progress have been cluttering it up.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 06:07
yeah, i have this on my palm...it's a pretty cool game (got to like level 30 on the palm...took forever )

and as bizar guy said, i would suggest making your cars have the same level of detail as your scenery

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 06:59
Looking good

Might I suggest a monopoly board for one of you scenarios. It would perfectly fit the plastic look that the cars have now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:24:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:24:07