Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie need's help with a directX map model collision?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 04:18
I've been searching these forum's for about 3 weeks now and most of the
collision help section's are locked and i'm unable to get any help!

I'm using GameSpace 1.5 and have created some DirectX model MAP's, however i am having problem's using them with collision command's in a game. I've also used CShop 4.1 and Expoting to DirectX is Same problem.
Also i don't wish to cheat and use or buy extra plugin's to deal with this. The reason i purchased Dark Basic Pro was to learn to program a half decent game using this software package! All i seem to get is do this do that and no explaination or reason. It would be great to see a real tutorial on something like this to help other's like myself who wish to learn and understand how these function's or command's can be implemented into a game or demo. If there is no way Dark Basic can accomplish this then i know i have wiasted my money, and will probably turn to C and C++ and the OGRE engine instead.

PS
I purchased this program a few years ago when i ran into problem's through lack of support or help! Was hoping thing's had changed?

(Resistance is futile!)
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 11:51 Edited at: 13th May 2005 12:11
Hi Fitz! I don't know what things were like years ago, but I know there is a lot of support now! I'm also with you on not using plug-ins or dll's. At least not until I know the full potential of DBPro without them. My experience so far is teaching me that most plug-in and/or dll functionality is already in DBPro, just a little more difficult to get at. Anyone else reading this - please no flaming: I am not saying dll's or plug-ins don't have value or don't do things that DBPro can't do.

The question you are asking probably really should be in the DBPro Discussion board since it's a pretty advanced topic and you might not get the help you need here in the Newcomer's section. I'll give it a go though.

Because of the complex nature (high poly count) of terrrain .x models, the collision for the model needs to be set to polygons in order for it to work properly. The problem then is that due to the high polygon count, setting terrain collision to polygons will slow any system to a virtual halt.

The solution then is to not use the built-in collision system. You will have to write your own or find one on the forums. Basically, you are looking to use this command:

INTERSECT OBJECT(Object Number, X, Y, Z, ToX, ToY, ToZ)

Start by turning the collision for the terrain object off. Then use the Intersect Object command to draw a line down, directly below a character or object you want to interact with the terrain (i.e standing on it). Using a very short line, you can tell if the object is "standing" on the ground or not. You can use a similar method to check around your objects to detect collisions, such as walls, cliffs, etc. Check in the Snippets section. There was a very popular thread (still is I believe) using this method. I'll edit this post with the link or name.

Edit: Here's a good link:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=10315&b=6
It's not the one I was thinking about, but it'll do.

Edit 2: Here's the one I was thinking of originally.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=45212&b=6

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo
REALITY II
FITZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 21:43
Thank you alot for that help RiiDii

I automatically presumed that this was basic newcomer stuff!
That will probably explain why i am not getting much help with the
Quote: "MENU"
post i did afew weeks ago.

I'll give these a try a bit later today, a little busy at momment!

And THANK YOU load's for that help, Very much appreciated.

(Resistance is futile!)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 19:33:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 19:33:58