Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / ReKonstruKtor - simple to understand puzzle game [comp entry]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 05:58 Edited at: 13th May 2005 06:02
Hi. Im here to tell you all of my simple to understand yet (in later levels) quite hard puzzle game.

In ReKonstruKtor, you have to arrange spinning cogs in a fashion to procue a certain amount of power. (e.g. the first level, you have generate 20 power units). Each type of cog creates a different amount of power, so you need to combine them in order to complete each level.
To make this harder, you can only move one cog (the one highlighted in green) at a time.

I havent got a demo yet, since I've only been working on this for an hour. Here are the first pictures (cogs look much better when there spinning.

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 06:16
Sounds intersesting, although the cogs don't look like they would fit togeather in real life

Currently working on BlockMan Remix
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 07:40
Once you get the mechanics of the game working you should advance it to 3D, it wouldn't be difficult and it'll look a whole lot better (plus we'll be able use antialiasing).

Anyway, nice idea but I'll have to play a demo to be convinced.

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it!
Current Projects: Lemmings Remake
(Untitled) Puzzle Game for the Compo
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 08:04
I agree. I know what you're getting at, but without 3D graphics and a demo to show just how you can make this not only chalenging but entertaining and addictive as well, I't will, well... not be nearly as cool as it could.

But since you've only started it about 3 hours ago, I will await new updates that may show anything, from a 3D demo to a suddenly cool and understandable 2D game.

Just for note, why did you post this thred only an hour after you began the game?

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
...because a considerable amount of progress has been made...

I don't get the game really, you move cogs, and all you have to do is put cogs at certain places next to each other and you beat the level...

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 08:55
Putting the cogs together should either increase or decrease the output depending on whether you're putting on a larger or smaller cog, so the idea of a level is to get an exact output, that would need the cogs to go in a certain order, I assume.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 21:26 Edited at: 13th May 2005 21:27
Quote: "Putting the cogs together should either increase or decrease the output depending on whether you're putting on a larger or smaller cog, so the idea of a level is to get an exact output, that would need the cogs to go in a certain order, I assume."

Exactly right. Its much easier and more fun than it sounds, so Im trying to get a demo done as soon as possible.

Quote: "Just for note, why did you post this thred only an hour after you began the game?"

As Nitrix said, I've made quite alot of progress (its pretty much playable.) But I want to make quite a few levels before I release a demo.

I apologise to everyone if you think 'What the hell is this', but I was rather bored of seeing re-hashes of other games entered into the compo (all the thread said was 'remake of [xxxx]' , replacing [xxxx] with a game I had never heard of) so I've tried to make a slightly more original and innovative game than others I've seen.

I'll have a demo up shortly, once I've got 5-10 levels done, and a tutotial.

Note about anti-aliasing: There is anti-alisaing ont the images, but the screen was taken as the cogs were spinning, therefore they appear slightly blurred. I do not wish to advance into 3d - I prefer 2d

Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2005 22:38
Quote: "I do not wish to advance into 3d - I prefer 2d"

There are plenty of successful games out there that have stuck with 2D while everyone else is going 3D.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 00:08 Edited at: 15th May 2005 00:09
A better screen - the menu! I should have demo *soon* - the whole game works etc. but I just need to make some interesting levels (which is prving quite hard, with a limiting toolset of cogs )

The menu has millions of cogs spinning behind it as you can see, and I'm just coding a tutorial to explain the game. I better get a demo done!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 06:59 Edited at: 16th May 2005 11:24
Looks nice! I don't know exactaly how you could make moving cogs around itself terribly captivating, but maybe you could have some cool mechanical machine backrounds, and when you beat a level you could show the the cogs make the machinary run and do something cool. If you get the cogs wrong, maybe you could show the machine blow up or fall apart.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
awesome man! and very nice background..

By the time you finish reading this, you realize you have wasted 5sec. of your life!
click here to return your 5sec.
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2005 07:56
Is the "Rekonstruktor" title in that screen shot animated in the program? Such as, does it wobble like it looks like it's doing? If so, that'll look great!

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2005 04:47
No, sorry, its not animated :-( , but I think I might animate it now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:28:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:28:59