Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / New JTEdit 3D Modeler Release (free)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

I've just put up an incremental JTEdit release (see http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit). Much of the work on it this last month was inspired by the feedback received here and in other forums and email, so keep it coming.

The main changes in this release include a first cut at programmable keyboard shortcuts, background images, mouse wheel support, better zoom and grid size increments, and fixes for loading DarkMATTER .x models. JTEdit is still buggy, but it's moving forward.

-JT
John Thompson
http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 22:23
dark basic?
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkMATTER is the model and texture library put out by the Dark Basic people. Unless someone reports any problems, I'm assuming models built with JTEdit will work in Dark Basic (old .x framed format only) and Dark Basic Pro (old format and new .x skinned mesh format).

-JT

John Thompson
MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
arg... download not working. 12 bytes per second is too slow.

JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd say just try again later. It should be on a pretty reliable server, so it may be just temporary network stuff.

-JT

John Thompson
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Oops, I just found a crashing bug at start up after running JTEdit a few times. The work-around is to delete the bin\jtedit.jtc file before starting JTEdit. I'll download a new release tomorrow morning (Weds. 2/5) around 11:00am PST.

John Thompson
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 08:36
i've missed this the last few days... gonna get right on it now and check it out

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
The new release is up. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll be beating on JTEdit this month, to try to ring out more bugs.

-JT

John Thompson
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Argh! Beating on JTEdit a lot this morning around the area of starting up, shutting down, and file loading, I found and fixed a couple of crashes and other problems, so I just put up another release, 0.06 this time.

-JT

John Thompson
MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey. Yeah, I was wondering about that. I started it up and it worked a couple of times, and then it crashed every time. I'll downlaod the new version. Also, it hasn't been loading .x files. It gives an error message. Of course, I'm using the version you uploaded about a day ago.

MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to animate something in your program, but when I play it, it doesn't work. I know most editors have a little "key" button for animation, but I can't find anything like that.

MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh.... that worked out. It still crashes when loading certain .x files, though. Files that I make in anim8or and then use LithUnwrap to translate to .x files don't load. They display an error message. .x files that I make in this one Japanese modeler, Metasequoia, load fine but they don't display anything.

JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Matt,

Could you send me a sample file from each of the two scenarios you mention? Please send it to to me johnt @ intrinsic . com (without the spaces) and include texture files, if any. My jtgame.com account seems to be eating email attachments. I could be a problem with my loader, or it could be that I need to beef up my "relax syntax" file loading option, as I've not yet encountered a tool (except my own that puts out 100% correct .x format.

All,

I refreshed the release yet again with some more bug fixes. There was a problem in orthongonal view mode where mouse-to-world space mapping was wrong, causing new items to appear at places other than under the mouse pointer. I also fixed a crashing problem related to loading a vertex-only model (i.e. such as if you layed down the vertices, but hadn't gotten to using them in polygons yet).

I can tell I've got plenty of work ahead of me. Please don't hestitate to raise any issues on how JTEdit can be improved. I hope you can see I'm working hard to get it into shape. Feel free also to make use of my own online forum at http://xsorbit4.com/users/JTGame. It's pretty lonely over there all by myself.

-JT

John Thompson
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Matt,

I've done some looking into this. Turns out the problem is mine for both files. The file produced by Metasequoia contained just a "Mesh" top level object instead of the usual "Frame", and JTEdit wasn't trying to do anything with it. I've fixed this and will put out a new release after I fix a few more bugs.

The file output by LithUnwrap is a more difficult problem. Apparently Microsoft extended the format adding subformats using "MSZip" compression, as indicated by the "bzip" in the file header. Unfortunately, they don't say anything about this format in the DirectX or MSDN docs, so I'm trying to hunt down information on it. When saving the file, are there any options for turning off compression? I've downloaded the demo version, but it doesn't let you save files. If there is, try turning that off. Also, one problem I noticed when displaying the file in Microsoft's MeshViewer tool is that the faces were all backwards, possibly meaning the file is right-handed or the triangles are wrapped in the wrong direction.

If anyone can point me to information on MSZip, I'd appreciate it.

-John

John Thompson
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Matt,

Thanks for the info. LithUnwrap does have an options dialog for when you save, and the Compression checkbox is checked by default. Uncheck this and you should be okay for either text or binary. I'll add the compressed format option to my wish list. I think I found the info I need in the form of the zlib package, but I don't think it's a high priority (like other bug fixing is). I also fixed JTEdit to handle the unexpected format better. Look for a new JTEdit release next week sometime. Thanks for checking it out and helping me get to the bottom of this.

-John

John Thompson
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 01:07
i'm not sure what MSZip is... however i know that bzip is actually Gzip which is a pretty standard binary compression (being deving a version of it in Pro recently) so perhaps they G-unzipping see if that works (^_^)

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 09:10
jat your 3d modeler is quite good but the thing that bugs me is the mouse sensitivity. Did you change the mouse sensitivity? if you did change it back because its really annoying.

will your 3d modeler keep being free? Because i think anim8or is much better than it and its free, no offence.

anyway its going good hope you go well with it.

ps. i found a bug when i closed the editor after i opened the walk.x in the db help somewhere i get this message
'The instruction at "0x6c37d22b" referenced at "0x0000003c". The memory could not be "read" click ok to terminate the program'

and

'The instruction at "0x77fc9c81" referenced at "0x00000010". The memory could not be "read" click ok to terminate the program'

see if you could fix them.

--------
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROGRAM DARK BASIC!
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
kfoong,

Regarding the mouse sensitivity, is the default too sensitive or not sensitive enough? Note that via the camera tool palette that comes up you can change the sensitivity via separate spin button controls for translations and rotations.

I imagine it will be free for quite some time if not indefinitely, or at least for the next year or more until I get it in better shape, and if I do charge for it, it will only be $20 or something like that. I haven't looked at anim8or yet, but I will sometime, having heard it mentioned a lot. What do you like about it?

Regarding the crashing, I've been fixing the ones I find, but I know there's plenty more. In reporting them, it's best you tell me exactly what you were doing when it crashed, i.e. what tool you where using, what palette was involved, anything that will help me reproduce it. "The instruction at..." messages can't help me much.

-JT

John Thompson
MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I opened the file "guy" in lithunwrap again, saved it as uncompressed, but still have problems. When I try to open it, it says "unable to find missing media file 'unassigned'. It asks if I want to look for the file. The file doesn't exist, so I click no, it says "error creating a texture for unassigned - invalid data", and then "caught unexpected exception" over and over again. I'll try some other modelers and see how their exported files work.

P.S. kfoong, I used to use Anim8or, until I learned that you can't export animation with it. Thus, it's sort of useless for DarkBASIC.

JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Matt,

Oh yeah, I ran into that but forgot to mention it. It's because for a placeholder they put in a texture file called "unassigned", which they probably substitute for something to help you see unassigned material areas of the model, but they don't take it out for the .x file. The work-around is to put in a real texture, or edit the file (save it in text mode) and delete this block:

TextureFilename {
"Unassigned";
}

Also, you don't yet have my fix for "Mesh"-only model files, so beware of that problem too.

-JT

John Thompson
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 11:24
hello jat.

I just want to suggest something. can you make the background something different other than black like blue or grey. because of the black background i wasnt interested the first time i saw it. but thats just me .

--------
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 11:26
and i also forgot to add the mouse sensitivity. DONT CHANGE IT. some people like the sensitivity more or less than others.

--------
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
kfoong,

Note that you can change the background and grid colors via the View Options dialog you can get to via the Options->View Options menu item. I'll experiment with changing the default color.

Regarding the mouse sensitivity, note that it's "sensitive" to the model size, as the mouse movement translates linearly to a displacement in the camera world position. The bigger the model, the farther away the camera defaults, and the less effect the displacement seems to have. To work around this, I added the translation and rotation sensitivity so you could scale the translation from mouse movement to camera movement. I'm thinking I can probably find a more adaptive mechanism, though, based on the model size.

-JT

John Thompson
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 23:47
just wondering what language are you using (programming language that is )? You seem to be a good programmer .

have you checked out anim8or? its got 70000 downloads because it was free and a very good modeler, though it cant export animation data...

if yours can be that good (if its free ) just put a few ads on your website about 3d modeling and other 3d stuff.

just a few suggestions

--------
MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool it works. I had to export it with another program, though, so it's not just mesh.

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 00:46
i experimented with the colors and i think this one is the best one (for me)

R: 128
G: 128
B: 255

:p

--------
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 00:49
ARG the mouse changing thing is soooo annoying!

ok ill comeback when i have something productive to say...

--------

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:04:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:04:16