Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / quick warning about debug directX

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 18:21
In short, avoid using the debug options of direct if you can, it seems to only end in pain.

Whilst trying manual dx stuff to do with that imagetoimage thing i was posting about some guy recommended going to control panel, hitting directx, going to the direct3d tab and moving the debug slider up to the right par 1 and clicking the box to use the debug version of dx rather than retail. After doing this i started getting nice, plain english, debug outputs in my vc++6 output window and i thought it was great.

Anyway after going back to my main game which is becoming quite an engine (its certainly not small) I noticed that with my little test dungeons which are tiny i was getting real low fps. Then i switched it back to the real sized dungeons (i had it on small so i could easilly find treasure chests i was testing) and my fps was dropping to 15fps.. and then my video card crashed requiring a reboot. repeatedly. I spent a good hour or more trying to debug and eventually giving up and resorting to commenting out all my code line by line and recompiling until it worked. each time my gfx card died pretty much and it was SO painful.

then i remembered that i said set those dx options. What a sod. Reverting back to normal options fixed it.

Just a heads up for anyone who tries something simular -_-

[07:16:59-pm] « Sephnroth » you were dreaming about lee...
[07:17:13-pm] « Mouse » stfu
[07:17:22-pm] « Mouse » he was hanging himself lol
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2005 02:35 Edited at: 16th May 2005 02:36
Yep, the debug version does that... it's even stated in the SDK and website that the debug versions carry a lot of overhead that could potentially slow your applications down but aid a lot in debugging it. That's why your supposed to develope your applications using the debug version then switch to the lite version when your game is nearing completion or finally completed.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2005 04:57
heh, "alot of overhead" meaning crash my graphics card repeatedly and to such an extent VPU recover (ati's crash recovery software) doesnt even get a chance to pop up before the card dies? Its a load of BS XD

and though my engine is really quite large its still VERY far away from completion RPGS are not small --; But it seems i cant use dx debug mode for even half of my game development >>;

[07:16:59-pm] « Sephnroth » you were dreaming about lee...
[07:17:13-pm] « Mouse » stfu
[07:17:22-pm] « Mouse » he was hanging himself lol
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2005 07:00
lol, if you have no problems debugging your application even with the lite version's limited debug info then i'd say keep going. I'm making an engine at the moment but using C++ and directX so i really need the debug version+info and haven't had any problems so far.

I guess writing the "game code" would not require as much debug info as writing the "engine code" so as you say you might not even need the debug version.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:34:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:34:55