Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Puzzle Compo Entry - R.O.B.O.I. - Programmable Robot Game - Early Look!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 10:57 Edited at: 18th May 2005 10:59
Hey all,

Some of you may remember my demo that I released over a year ago called R.O.B.O.I.--- well, my hard drive crashed soon after and I lost everything. This puzzle compo has inspired me to remake my own game, completely (and painstakingly) from scratch.

This time R.O.B.O.I. is in full 3D

For those that don't know, R.O.B.O.I. stands for ROBOI Obeys Basic Operational Instructions. Basically you need to program a robot to accomplish 1 or more tasks using just 16 micro-chips, each representing a basic move (i.e. 1x FORWARD, 2x REVERSE, PICK UP, USE, etc.). There are also chips representing loops using parentheses.

There are training levels, and a full story mode with at least 20 levels in total, including the classic demo release levels.

As you can see I suck at 3D modeling, and all of my objects are boxes so far (if anyone wants to make me a robot I would be much obliged ).

Here's the first level.

Here's the first training level. As you can see the wall textures are grids to make it easier to judge distance.

And here's a screenie of the 2D editor made with the excellent PlayBasic.

The demo will be available this Canada Day, July 1st. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks to geecee for the excellent font

--[R.O.B.O.I. and FireTris Coming Soon]--
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 11:03
What exactly do you want the robot to look like?

oh yes, Looks like it will be very good.

Currently working on BlockMan Remix
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 11:10 Edited at: 18th May 2005 11:10
Bizar Guy - Thanks for the quick response

Currently my robot looks like this, in 2D:

He's very simple. The more simple and retro looking, the better. And he has arms, as you can see in the pic.

fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great! Can't wait for the demo...What are some examples of missions we will have to program R.O.B.O.I to do? And are you going to include a level editor?

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 11:38 Edited at: 18th May 2005 11:52
This what you had in mind?

I did that pic really quick.

If there are no good modelers out there to help you build the robot, I might be able to, although I can't animate- yet.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 11:55
Holy cow, its back!!! I loved this game, can't wait to see it finished

My less-pimp name was Mattman.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 12:14
Nitrixik Studios - Thanks!

Quote: "What are some examples of missions we will have to program R.O.B.O.I to do?"

E.G. - Pick up all of the powercells then exit the level. Trick is the door won't even open until all of the powercells are picked up. Also, the level is too large so ROBOI must use loops.

E.G. - Pick up disk, insert it into the terminal, then exit the level.

E.G. - Move rocks off the road to clear a path.

Quote: "And are you going to include a level editor?"

Yes I will include a level editor in the final, non-compo version. I don't want the compo judges to disqualify my game because there's a non-TGC product in the mix It may just be a separate download.

Bizar Guy -

Quote: " This what you had in mind?"

Wow! That looks great! That's exactly what I have in mind hehe. You don't have to worry about animating him, as I can figure that out. Of course I don't want to pressure you into making this for me. If I don't find a modeller in time then I'll stick with the boxes for the compo.

Edgar Van Buren -

Quote: " Holy cow, its back!!! I loved this game, can't wait to see it finished"

Glad to see someone remembers

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Impressive game concept, though it looks like it would take a fair amount of brain power to code. Any chance you could tell me how many lines you're expecting, and how many function that will give R.O.B.O.I.? Just curious
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 13:56
Scaleru - Thanks for the good words!

Quote: "Impressive game concept, though it looks like it would take a fair amount of brain power to code. Any chance you could tell me how many lines you're expecting, and how many function that will give R.O.B.O.I.? Just curious"

My mind is overheating from the game code as I type this

Well, so far I've got near 700 lines, which isn't much. All I've got ready now is in the screens, but what you can't tell from them is all the work that went into that chip board (see screen 2). All of the chips are draggable and placeable in the circuitry. Also there's a lot of 2D and 3D work fused, so I spent a lot of time lining things up perfectly using the object screen x/y commands. So, 700 lines is just the start, looks like.

I can honestly figure that I'll have close to 2000 or more lines of code. I rewrite code constantly to make things more efficient, even if the speed inrease is negligable -- which will make the lines amount to a lot less. This might be due to my obsessive compulse behaviour

As for functions--- do you mean functions in my game's source code, or functions that ROBOI will use within the game?

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
700 lines, thats a fair effort for just starting it up again. I can imagine you'll easily reach 2000, I've reached that on mine already, but I have a fair few crazy camera animations that I'll probably remove yet Anyway, back to R.O.B.O.I. How many function will R.O.B.O.I. have himself?
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 15:27
Yes!

I love ROBOI, he is my friend, he does whatever I want him to do. Good luck redoing it, this game is awesome.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 16:21
great to see this game back! I can't wait to give it a play, the original 2D version was great!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 16:59
This game looks really good jeku, can't wait till there is a demo.

And as for the robot, i have one thing to say...
DALEK!

Lol, just joking. Bizar guy's one looks pretty cool, he's a pretty nifty sketcher

Keep up the good work!
Axelman

43% of Percentages are made up on the spot.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 17:07
Thanks for the compliments, guys

Quote: "How many function will R.O.B.O.I. have himself?"

ROBOI will have just 9 microchip functions, but don't let that fool you into thinking the game will be easy. For example two of them are Pick Up and Use, which can be brought together in limitless combinations with all manner of objects.

The hardest aspect of development for me is in the level design. I have 7 levels made so far, and all of them require EXACTLY 16 chips, a full arsenal, to complete.

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds good. When can we expect to see video footage or an interactive demo? I'm curious to see how exactly the interface will run. And if you run out of ideas for later levels, maybe a timer to give limited time to create a plan of attack? *beats head against a pole* I should stop thinking, its getting worse every time.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 19:14
Great! I loved your original 2d version. I love these types of logic puzzle games.

I'm also glad it has nothing to do with words for a change!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2005 23:34 Edited at: 19th May 2005 00:09
Ok, i modeled teh ROBOI (BTW that recursive name is just about the most brain frying thing in the world )

Just one second and i'll UVMap him and load him up...(though i don't think he's even going to need any texture besides just a plain color )

[edit] ok i attatched him...there are two images in there..one is his texture "ROBOI.Bmp" the other is there just incase you want to retexture him from scratch "ROBOITextureMap.bmp"...
He's in .x and .Ms3d just in-case you have milkshape and want to edit him

here's a pic

note: if you want i could remove those tread pokey outy thingys...

--Peter

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
fasdfsdaf
Years of Service
User Offline
Great model!!

@Jeku:

Quote: "Yes I will include a level editor in the final, non-compo version. I don't want the compo judges to disqualify my game because there's a non-TGC product in the mix It may just be a separate download.
"

What's that mean? is this some C level editor you're using to make the levels? or are you using GameBasic? or something totaly different? Or does that mean you're going to sell it? As long as it's made in DBPro it should be okay to include...

[me]"My throat froze!"
[other person]"Force quit it next time..."
A.K.A Death Stalker
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2005 04:29
Quote: "R.O.B.O.I. stands for ROBOI Obeys Basic Operational Instructions"

Whoa. Flood error. Now my brain hurts.

My Showcase - It's DBpro-tastic
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2005 05:44
Peter - Thanks for the model, man! That looks perfect! And I will definitely keep around the milkshape file in case I need to alter him just a bit (but I don't think so). Perfect

Quote: "What's that mean? is this some C level editor you're using to make the levels? or are you using GameBasic? "

I made the editor in PlayBasic, a language developed by some forum members from here. It is extremely fast for 2D development, and I'm still learning it, so I decided to make the editor in that. I will release the editor as a free separate download, don't worry

Quote: "BTW that recursive name is just about the most brain frying thing in the world"

I know, I love it! I took a hint from GNU, which means GNU's Not Unix. And I love recursive functions hehe.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2005 06:41
That model looks geat peter!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2005 06:41 Edited at: 19th May 2005 06:41
thanks!

Quote: " know, I love it! I took a hint from GNU, which means GNU's Not Unix"

hehe, that's what i thought of when i saw it

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2005 12:52
It looks like the chip system is almost exactly the same as the old one, is that so? Because I remember it being very easy to use (although the puzzles were tricky!)

My less-pimp name was Mattman.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 21:47
This game looks really cool and fun!

Keep updating us!
Im looking forward to try it

Visit PanzerGames here
Bestotr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 04:43
great idea ... i wanna play it !!

regards ...
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 13:34
Sorry for the late replies, people, but I just got a new job and I'm away from the house for 12 hours of the day! Anyways, thanks for the good words, and I will hopefully be working on this during the weekends.

@Edgar Van Buren - Yes, the chip system will be almost identical to the original, except this time everything's in 3D. I've also made it so you can grab the titlebar of the chip board window and move it around the screen to get a better planning view of each level.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:17:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:17:09